DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
countryboyco99 is on a distinguished road
Default What size radio will fit?

I have a 2010 RAM 1500 QC SLT with the basic res cd/mp3 radio and want to change it out. Will a double din fit with out any mods to the dash or am i better off looking for a single din radio. Also is it worth it to look for a upgraded stock radio with gps and dvd? Thank you for any help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Hi. Welcome to the Forumz! Pretty sure the radio size is double din. And you wouldn't have to do any mods to the dash , if anything they might make a bezel to accommodate the size if whatever radio you were buying was a bit smaller.

I have the 730N with the navigation and dvd, and I really like it. The navigation is nice to have, and for you being in the states it has the traffic updates and gas prices being able to look up and that type of stuff.

I think I have used the dvd player part of it once.

Hope this info helps, and once again Welcome!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
countryboyco99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. What would I have to go through to upgrade to a stock DVD/nav radio and how much would it cost or would it be cheaper to just go after market?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
glitzbd is on a distinguished road

I think it will end up being cheaper going aftermarket. OEM radios are expensive unless you find them used, and if you have the 130RES w/o UConnect (no phone buttons) you'll need to add UConnect for full function.

Also to fit a Double-DIN there is some modification, and it involves cutting a metal support to ensure proper fit. But overall you'll probably end up with the feature set you'd get out of a more expensive OEM unit, and end up spending less! I am currently looking at the AVH-P4400BH from Pioneer as it looks like a nice fit for my truck!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The stock radios for 2009 - 2012
are 1.5 DIN
DIN is the height & width measurement, it does Not consider depth

The third most popular car stereo size is what is called “1.5 DIN” or “DIN and a Half” which measures approximately 3 3/16″ in height and 7 1/8″ in width. Car stereo depth size for 1.5 DIN radios varies between vehicle manufacturers and models but most vehicles with a 1.5 DIN radio tend to have a very shallow depth that only measures around 7″. This type of car radio is usually found in American vehicles like Chevrolet, Cadillac, Dodge, GMC, Plymouth, Pontiac, etc. A 1.5 DIN sized opening can accept a 1.5 DIN car stereo or a single DIN car stereo using an aftermarket dash kit.

2 websites, CRUTCHFIELD, or INSTALLER have suggested radios & install help

a 2 DIN radio just takes a bit of metal trimming to install & usually need a different bezel

the 4th generation RAMs are easy to remove, only 6 screws, IF you don't have the full floor console, if you have the full floor console, it is a little more involved

if you have a 115V outlet
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.