DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

Got the computer back, and installed. B&G Performance PCM did the job for me. I'd have done it myself, but a lack of equipment and not having enough volume to justify getting the hardware and software to do it, I just had them do it for me. Truck is up and running fine. Only problem is that I'm getting an O2 Sensor heater circuit malfunction on all 4 O2 sensors... it runs good, and it still uses the O2 sensors for fuel mix. Weird.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:20 AM

It’s story time kiddies…

Okay, so the problem with the O2 sensor heater circuit was due to a malfunction in the ECU. What I decided to do next was stupid. I thought I would take it to AES(http://www.aesmodules.com/) to have them repair it. I wish I had taken the money to Vegas instead. At least there I could have gotten a couple of drinks out of the deal.

First thing was that they have their salesmen call themselves “Doctor.” While strange, I thought nothing of it. They are “partsologists.” Again, weird, but whatever. Doctor JL tells me that listening to the symptoms, it sounds like my computer should be repairable. It would take roughly 2 to 3 days to repair and if I sent it on Thursday I should have it back by Friday of the next week. Perfect I thought. Gives me enough time to take it to emissions, and register it so I can take it to the lake.

“Doctor” JL was apparently a little off… Not there on Friday. So I figured maybe it would arrive either Saturday or even Monday, as I likely missed the cut off for shipping when I dropped it off. Monday I call and try to get a hold of “Doctor” JL to get my tracking number... Voicemail. Leave a message and wait for him to call me back… Hour passes, “Doctor” JL calls me back. Apparently my processor is fried and I would have to get a remanufactured unit from them. For an additional $180.

Now I’m a computer guy. I happen to be able to troubleshoot electronics down to the component level. I was just being lazy. Plus, I really wanted it done right. But when you tell me my processor is fried, even though the engine runs fine, and the system can even tell me that my O2 sensor heater circuit is not working, I’m going to be a bit skeptical. So I ask to talk to the tech who came to that determination. “Doctor” JL says he will have to call the tech and get back to me.

Hours pass… I finally get mad enough that I decide to call again. Voicemail. I learned that these guys apparently love their voicemail system. I call back and the receptionist puts me through to another person’s voicemail when I tell her I just got “Doctor” JL’s voicemail. I call back and demand to talk to someone NOT VOICEMAIL. She puts me on hold and apparently is able to get a hold of “Doctor” JL. She comes back on and tells me that he hasn’t heard anything from the technician.

Hours later: I call back again. This time I’m pretty effin mad. I’m tired of the run around. I wanna know the exact test the technician performed on my computer and how he came to the determination that the processor itself was bad. Well I would have asked for all that to a live person, but… voicemail… Wait… call back until I get to a live person again… Read the riot act.

Now, people who know me generally think I’m permanently high. I don’t smoke weed at all, but I always have a rather calm demeanor. I don’t get upset easily. Yet at this point I’m on the verge of boarding a plane to Jacksonville and taking a cab to their office with a load of .30-06 and seeing how many I can put holes through before the cops get there.

These guys are throwing around the term “upsell” which to me is salesman speak for “let me see if I can get you to spend more money than you need to.” They go through trying to tell me that the processor has a single section on it specifically for running the O2 sensor heater circuit. My BS meter is pegging. But I figure fine…

“Doctor” JL calls me back(funny I left him a message way earlier). Still trying to sell me that overpriced computer. I decide to see what all it entails… “WAIT… So after I get this computer, I STILL have to get it reprogrammed? So, I spend around 380 for a computer and I have to spend an additional 120 to get it programmed when your web site was talking about a fully plug and play computer”

“Well sir, any computer you get you will have to get programmed for your specific vehicle, with your VIN and Mileage.”

“THAT WAS WHAT YOU GUYS TOLD ME YOU COULD DO!!! What changed? You know what, forget it. You guys were cheap enough when it was just getting it repaired. Now you are the most expensive option. Just send me back my computer and refund me my money.”

“Doctor” JL agrees and says that my money will be refunded within 48 hours(much like “Doctor” JL’s last prediction, this one is a bit off), and they will send my computer back to me. Fine…

3 days later, and no computer nor refund…. I call back. This time even more livid. “Doctor” JL isn’t even in. So they send me to the guy that is supposedly handling his calls… well his voicemail. Because why would you want to send an angry customer to someone who might calm them down. Instead send them to voicemail to get even more angry. That way they can stew about how bad you are for a couple hours… THEN that customer can call back twice as angry that you are ignoring them.

I get a hold of another sales monkey. Who says that he can go track down my computer… The one that was supposed to have shipped THREE FRIGGIN DAYS AGO! Oh… it’s on the shelf to be shipped out today. I tell him that I was told it would have shipped MONDAY not THURSDAY. And WHERE THE HECK IS MY REFUND!? He also tries to talk me out of saving over $200 by going elsewhere with my business. Sorry, but you guys have not inspired enough trust that I would be willing to spend extra for your service.

He of course had no way of checking on my refund. He would send me to another voicemail where I would be able to pop a vein at the recorder.

Hours later, I get a call from what I can only assume was a manager. This guy promptly reads the notes that I was already aware of, only to tell me that my refund is being processed as of(Thursday) 10/25. The same day I was calling to find out what happened to my flippin refund.

As of now, I still have no refund. I did get my computer back(which is good since it needs to go to the place I bought the reman from). I ended up going to Dodge Auto Computers (http://dodgeautocomputers.com/) and had a good experience with them. Though apparently they are affiliated with ACE(http://autocomputerexchange.net/).

Strangely enough, dealing with the company that had an “F” with the BBB was better than dealing with the company with an “A” rating. Granted the one with the A rating had 292 complaints in 3 years. They just responded to the complaints.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

Im sorry to hear about everything that happened. Although im not going to lie, i laughed several times in there because i know how mad you are getting at their voicemails. It sucks that that had to happen. Atleast everything is getting straightened out now (or so it seems.) i have been reading along on this thread for a while bc i want to swap a 5.7 into my 07 if my 4.7 goes bad in a few years. But reading this idk how i feel now. Hope everything works out good. Will be following!!

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoylCC5 View Post
Im sorry to hear about everything that happened. Although im not going to lie, i laughed several times in there because i know how mad you are getting at their voicemails. It sucks that that had to happen. Atleast everything is getting straightened out now (or so it seems.) i have been reading along on this thread for a while bc i want to swap a 5.7 into my 07 if my 4.7 goes bad in a few years. But reading this idk how i feel now. Hope everything works out good. Will be following!!
Oh I can look back and laugh at it. But the main thing was that I wanted to warn others away from bothering with AES/National Parts/Searchparts.com. They are the most expensive option and they are at best shady. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there... Maybe my ex wife, but not my worst enemy.

Should you decide to do the swap, it's not bad if you heed a few of my warnings(I'm here to serve as a warning to others). Primarily about the wiring harneseseseses. There's 5 different engine harnesses, and I think 10 different headlight to dash harnesses. Make sure that when(if) you get your motor from the junk yard that they actually have all the parts on it you will need. Before you begin your project, get the engine, the wiring harness(preferably the engine and headlight to dash harness from the same truck to make sure it works right), electronic throttle pedal, AC compressor, Alternator, make sure it comes with the intake, and throttle body. They aren't hard to come by but it'll save you some time.

You will have to replace the AC compressor, so feel free to disconnect it when you are removing the motor. It'll make it easier to move around. You'll have to replace the alternator as well, but fear not, that alternator you have in your truck will fit everything with either the 3.7L V6 or 4.7L V8. Why they couldn't just go ahead and make it work with the Hemi... Dunno... The power steering pump will work, but you have to replace the pulley(if you don't feel like it, feel free to pick one up, they aren't that expensive. The Radiator is the same, but I would still recommend you change it as by that time it's had enough use. But still it'll work. The trans does mount right up. BUT you should replace the TC. You're there, may as well. It's already out of the vehicle and easy to access.

I have still got the ABS and Brake lights on. I am pretty sure it's looking for the front wheel speed sensor... that I don't have.

When you get the motor, before you put the thing in your vehicle, Pull all the plugs, and rotate the crank a full 360 degrees to ensure there is no binding. Oh and while you're there with all 16 plugs out, throw them away, and get new ones. Don't say "Well they look brand new." The likelihood is that low mileage motor came out of a wrecked truck. That's why it's not a blown engine. One or more plugs may be cracked, and you don't want a chunk to break off and thrash around in your engine. Save yourself the worry. They ain't that dang expensive.

I recommend pulling the engine and trans at the same time. You can carefully pull the old harness off, and disco everything relatively easily. Then when you put your new engine with the trans, it makes reinstalling the wiring harness much easier.

I dunno it it was just my bad luck, but I actually had to go to the dealer for my engine mounts. But at least they are new and I don't have to think about replacing them anytime soon. They weren't that expensive.