DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:12
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default Tow/haul

Heat is what kills automatic transmissions. I have towed at the max with mine for about 25000 miles now and always use tow/haul. I also use it when running empty under 65 MPH because with 3.55's that is where it shifts into OD. When the trans is hunting between gears it builds up heat that will shorten its life. Also when tow/haul it will downshift as your speed drops and brakes are applied to assist in slowing the load.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

When in TH mode, the tranny does not go into 6th gear.

Although I agree that hunting creates heat and heat kills transmissions, it is also good to drop a gear to flow fluid through the tranny and cooler to dissipate heat. Sitting in 5th may seem ok and with a lighter load may be alright, but part of TH logic is to keep the tranny from lugging and keep the heat transferring out.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I almost always use T/H even when not towing. The only time I don't is if cruising at 75mph+. Even with 6th gear locked out in T/H mode I get the same mpg cruising at 70mph as if I were in 6th. I have so much more power without downshifting too. I have 3.55's. When I go to 4.10's I will use 6th gear on the highway, but still use T/H in city. It extends shift points a lot and that is great.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I almost always use T/H even when not towing. The only time I don't is if cruising at 75mph+. Even with 6th gear locked out in T/H mode I get the same mpg cruising at 70mph as if I were in 6th. I have so much more power without downshifting too. I have 3.55's. When I go to 4.10's I will use 6th gear on the highway, but still use T/H in city. It extends shift points a lot and that is great.
Did not know this. Ill try this out tomorrow
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:10
bpetroni is on a distinguished road

I was told be the dealer if you are in T/H Mode and on a big hill and your tranny starts constantly hunting for gears to take it out of T/H and manualy shift to the best gear. This happened to me in my Silverado and I thought that the tranny was going to explode. Truck was rated for the weight but underpowered, that was before I got my Hemi....
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
When in TH mode, the tranny does not go into 6th gear.

Although I agree that hunting creates heat and heat kills transmissions, it is also good to drop a gear to flow fluid through the tranny and cooler to dissipate heat. Sitting in 5th may seem ok and with a lighter load may be alright, but part of TH logic is to keep the tranny from lugging and keep the heat transferring out.
If I recall I think the Trans Engineer guy addressed something about this. I think the scenario you're describing was common for some GM models, and maybe others, where in certain gear select positions you didn't get full tranny fluid circulation even if the tranny wasn't hunting and pecking for a solid gear. I think TE said this Ram tranny doesn't have that system. I had one of those GM vehicles with that tranny style for about 18 years before getting this Ram. You had to pay attention to your tach and gear position to insure a cooler running fluid when towing. TE said this Ram tranny maintains a full circulation through the cooler and torque converter, and that a too frequent shifting operation is what creates the excess heat.

But hey, I'm not trans engineer. I'll also speculate on the 5th gear and T/H mode. I think T/H is actually 5th gear on the manual selector, and that it makes the shifting and shift points more aggressive...maybe for less slippage and therefore less heat? But I really do think the gear you're in when in T/H mode is actually just 5th. Maybe TE will chime in on this.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The transmission oil pump is driven by the input shaft, so if the input shaft is spinning(if the engine is running) the transmission fluid is circulating. So it doesn't matter what rpm you are at, you will have sufficient transmission fluid flow which provides cooling.

The only things that change when in tow/haul mode is that the 6th gear is locked out, the third gear(2nd prime) enters into the normal shift pattern, and shift schedules are changed(higher upshift rpms and more engine braking). Shift quality, line pressure, shift time, etc are not changed.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Ahh, good to know! I like what you're saying. And yes, gear hunting creates a lot of the heat problems.
Im going to test running T/H around town. Im sure it cant hurt and will make the truck feel better. And I doubt it will make the fuel economy much worse than it already is around town lol

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Yeah it won't hurt, I even had a discussion with transengineer and he confirmed this.

I almost always lock out 6th gear, even when not in T/H because as long as I'm not going over ~70mph my mpg stays the same, and I have so much more power without giving it a lot of pedal to downshift. I usually only use 6th over 70mph, like on looooong trips. And I normally will use T/H when in traffic as it'll hold the gears longer, but if I get on county roads or something I normally shut it off.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

i keep forgetting to try this.....
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!