DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
BigTJohn is on a distinguished road

My 1500 w/Hemi seemed to do ok w/o tow/haul mode. BUT - while using T/H I would get REALLY BAD MPG, <6MPG but while on level and flat I would get ...8-9 MPG. Not much better, but a little better. 3.55 ratio and 6K travel trailer. Moved up to a 6.7 CTD and have not looked back. All towing for me is done at 58-6- MPH as much more the MPG really plummets and after 5-6 hrs towing it only adds 40 min to overall time on the road.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
My 1500 w/Hemi seemed to do ok w/o tow/haul mode. BUT - while using T/H I would get REALLY BAD MPG, <6MPG but while on level and flat I would get ...8-9 MPG. Not much better, but a little better. 3.55 ratio and 6K travel trailer. Moved up to a 6.7 CTD and have not looked back. All towing for me is done at 58-6- MPH as much more the MPG really plummets and after 5-6 hrs towing it only adds 40 min to overall time on the road.
Jealous on the CTD
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Yeah it won't hurt, I even had a discussion with transengineer and he confirmed this.

I almost always lock out 6th gear, even when not in T/H because as long as I'm not going over ~70mph my mpg stays the same, and I have so much more power without giving it a lot of pedal to downshift. I usually only use 6th over 70mph, like on looooong trips. And I normally will use T/H when in traffic as it'll hold the gears longer, but if I get on county roads or something I normally shut it off.
Sean, I wonder how much if any difference might be present in your scenario with the smaller engine? I've been somewhat amazed how firmly my tranny behind this hemi holds a gear when I'm towing. I'm coming from various GM trannies that were maddening in their behavior to hunt and peck for a proper gear almost no matter how much engine power you had. This Ram will hold gear in 5th with no T/H with my 5000+ pound travel trailer on anything but a decent grade. It has been so pleasant not having to constantly watch rpm and shifting like a hawk when even a meager over pass comes up while towing. I'm pretty anal about needless up and down shifting scenarios when towing...probably because of my GM experiences...so I'm just happy and amazed with the performance of this current setup. When empty, my Ram won't even hardly go out of top gear, 6th, until you really hit a steep grade...or a moderate grade with a stiff west Texas head wind. Sometimes this truck acts like it has a manual tranny when cruising empty or towing...LOL!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah I'm not really exactly sure what your question is, or what you're getting at with me having the smaller engine. I agree though even with the less hp and tq that I have compared to the hemi my truck pulls GREAT. It will leave 6th gear usually going up moderate grades with say 1,000+ lbs at 70mph. But I am only at like ~1,750 rpm in 6th gear at 70mph. In tow/haul mode(5th gear as high gear) it rarely needs to leave 5th. I went to AR in july and hauled my bike and some other stuff up there, say ~1,500 to 2,000 lb in the truck and even through the big mountains on the way it didn't need to leave 6th but maybe once or twice the whole way, at about 75mph. I don't tow a lot, but 6th gear towing on hills is probably out of the question.

My trans shifts great and firm. I do have the SC tune though, with reduced shift time and reduced TM, so can't really say stock as I rarely have it tuned stock. I do know that the 4.7L tuning has slightly reduced line pressures and maybe some other things as I saw a tech article once that showed this(as compared to the hemi).

I believe line pressures and such are determine and adjusted on the go based on sensors and readings given to the pcm from the transmission so this is probably how the transmission adapts and shifts amazing under various loads.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

So I ran around yesterday and today in T/H around town and about 50 miles on the freeway. I think Im going to do this all the time other than open highway driving. I know it hasn't been an extensive test, but I dont see any change in economy at all with the T/H on. the 'feel' is much better with T/H ON, especially since I put on big ass tires which really fugged with my cruising rpm being a bit too low and causing excessive hunting IMO.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear

Last edited by Bikenut; 11-12-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: mistake at T/H ON
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
So I ran around yesterday and today in T/H around town and about 50 miles on the freeway. I think Im going to do this all the time other than open highway driving. I know it hasn't been an extensive test, but I dont see any change in economy at all with the T/H on. the 'feel' is much better with it off, especially since I put on big ass tires which really fugged with my cruising rpm being a bit too low and causing excessive hunting IMO.
Yeah, it probably does help with the bigger tires. Using T/H when not towing feels a bit like adding one of those shift kit setups you used to see a lot of on older trannies...more of an aggressive shift characteristic like you'd want in a hot rod. I'd think it would probably have some negative effect on fuel mileage but maybe not...and maybe relatively small if it does.