DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
arlockstedt is on a distinguished road

i drive 30 mins to and from work, but its only been a day or two. not even 100 miles on it yet. But it has gotten more responsive. That I can tell for sure. I know I cant be the only guy with this setup. It seems like the way to go and less headache for any exhaust shop. There is a video on you tube of a guy with an '11 and the same setup. He seems to be very happy with the sound and performance as well. I mean, I'm still running the same stock cats and resonators. I know its not anywhere the same of an open pipe.....it just re leaved a little back pressure for performance......
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a link to the YouTube link?

Grub out!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:10
arlockstedt is on a distinguished road

he has 3 different videos.....
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: True Blue Pearlcoat
Rep:79
Scotty85 will become famous soon enough

Having drag raced Mopars for years, I can assure you that you can definitely have too much exhaust. It doesn't surprise me that you lost low-end power when going to a larger, more free-flowing exhaust. You will almost always lose bottom-end torque. Engines do require some back-pressure based on the rest of the combo in order to have enough scavenging for proper combustion. The only way around that is if you have the heads/intake/cam to make up for it. You could always add a higher-stall TC to try and make up for the loss in the bottom-end. The higher stall would get you up in RPMs past where you're losing the torque.

Throw a set of 3" true-duals from the heads back and remove the cats, regardless of which muffler. See how much bottom-end you have then. It'd just lay over and wanna die.

Scott
Body Mods - http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?p=1005083
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You should not have lost low end with that setup. Your tail pipes are 2.25" which promotes high exhaust velocity. It's likely in you head IMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85 View Post
Having drag raced Mopars for years, I can assure you that you can definitely have too much exhaust. It doesn't surprise me that you lost low-end power when going to a larger, more free-flowing exhaust. You will almost always lose bottom-end torque. Engines do require some back-pressure based on the rest of the combo in order to have enough scavenging for proper combustion. The only way around that is if you have the heads/intake/cam to make up for it. You could always add a higher-stall TC to try and make up for the loss in the bottom-end. The higher stall would get you up in RPMs past where you're losing the torque.

Throw a set of 3" true-duals from the heads back and remove the cats, regardless of which muffler. See how much bottom-end you have then. It'd just lay over and wanna die.

Scott
I've always been told/educated in your second sentence as being spot on.

However, your last paragraph, while you nailed it in theory, is NOT an astute move to undertake. Removal of catalytic convertors is a serious Federal and emissions violation that's just not worth the benefits in lure of the consequences should you be pinned.

Grub out!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Without starting a pissing match, the back pressure thing is incorrect, although just about everybody and their mother believes it. Back pressure is always bad(yes, even for low end torque). The reason you'd lose low end torque with a full 3" dual setup is because you'd slow exhaust gas velocity tremendously with the larger diameter pipe. There's a balance to find the proper pipe diameter to achieve the most volumetric flow at the highest velocity. With too big a diameter you reduce velocity, but with too small a diameter you choke the engine. Back pressure has nothing to do with scavenging. Higher velocity will yield more scavenging effect.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Without starting a pissing match, the back pressure thing is incorrect, although just about everybody and their mother believes it. Back pressure is always bad(yes, even for low end torque). The reason you'd lose low end torque with a full 3" dual setup is because you'd slow exhaust gas velocity tremendously with the larger diameter pipe. There's a balance to find the proper pipe diameter to achieve the most volumetric flow at the highest velocity. With too big a diameter you reduce velocity, but with too small a diameter you choke the engine. Back pressure has nothing to do with scavenging. Higher velocity will yield more scavenging effect.
You're gonna' start a pissing match, Sean.

Grub out!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
You're gonna' start a pissing match, Sean.
LOL I know....but I feel the need to at least attempt to spread information...

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: True Blue Pearlcoat
Rep:79
Scotty85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
I've always been told/educated in your second sentence as being spot on.

However, your last paragraph, while you nailed it in theory, is NOT an astute move to undertake. Removal of catalytic convertors is a serious Federal and emissions violation that's just not worth the benefits in lure of the consequences should you be pinned.
Federal regulations was 100% NOT the point. And I'd just as soon not argue the other points, but I will pose just one question from that last post....

So, by that last post, you'd expect, on a stock vehicle, open exhaust to perform better than stock exhaust..... at the track? Craziness. I'd love to line you up one day in my car.

Scott
Body Mods - http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?p=1005083

Last edited by Scotty85; 11-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.