DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
BudTheGrey is on a distinguished road
Default Mounting Snow tires

I have a 2012 1500/Tradesman 4x4. I'm afraid that the stock tires may not prove adequate for winter use, but replacing all four at $200 a pop is not in the budget. How much harm is there in only mounting snows on the rear axle? I probably will not be using the 4WD much; I've had 2WD for the last 30 years, and only bought the 4WD because that's all there was.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Pearl Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Porky is on a distinguished road

Hello I'm new here and have never owned a 4X4 before so I could be wrong on this but. If you don't plan on using the 4X4 much . The stock tires should be fine, if you have a slippery spot turn on the 4X4. Huge difference play with it see how it works before spending any more money.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Save yourself some $ and put it into 4 hi when it gets a little slippery and forget about it. Huge diff. in 4X4 than in 2WD trust me. I've owned manual shift 2WD trucks when I lived in Western NY and got by OK but will never own another 2WD again. If U can drive a manual 2WD truck in the snow belt U can drive anything!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
Save yourself some $ and put it into 4 hi when it gets a little slippery and forget about it. Huge diff. in 4X4 than in 2WD trust me. I've owned manual shift 2WD trucks when I lived in Western NY and got by OK but will never own another 2WD again. If U can drive a manual 2WD truck in the snow belt U can drive anything!
I agree. Try the 4x4 before dropping any cash on new rubber. You can use different tread on the rear so long as they're the same size as the front. DISCLAIMER: Just because tires have the same numerical size on the sidewall, doesn't mean they are actually the same size when measured. I strongly recommend measuring the circumference of your stock tires with a tailors tape and them match them up with the tires you want to buy. I would recommend keeping the size within 7/16" or 11mm. The problem you may run into is that the tire retailer may not want to mount one on a rim to let you do this, but if they really want to make the sale, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
BudTheGrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnerseoinc View Post
If U can drive a manual 2WD truck in the snow belt U can drive anything!
My first 2 trucks were Dodge 1/2 ton 2WD, manual 4-speed transmission. The REAL truck transmission, with the super low 1st gear you never used.

Of course, if upstate NY (the REAL upstate, near the Canadian border) has a winter like last year, the stock tires should be fine.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
tux is on a distinguished road
Default winter tires;

1. I figured I'd put my 2 cents worth in.I don't know about mounting just 2 winter tires on the rear.This gives you to much grab on the rear and in corners you loose traction in the front and spin out.I'm not sure but i think here in Ontario it is illegal to run just 2 winter tires. As far as 4WD goes it is good but does not aid in stopping. With the stock tires the colder it gets the less traction you have.The winter tires are a softer rubber compound and do not get hard giving you much better traction. A simple test is to take a cheap pair of winter boots with a hard sole on them and try to walk on ice or hard pack snow,you slid all over the place. now get a good pair that when you put pressure on the sole your thumb nail goes into the rubber sole these are much better for walking.As for cost it is an expense but when you trade your ride in you should still have a good set of rubber an hopefully not have to take the hit on the trade.I have run nothing but 4WD for 35 years and the last 20 i run winter tires.You may never know if the winter tires saved you and your family from getting into an accident but i think they are worth it.Here in northern ontario we can run studs so mine are studded.Just a little ino last week i drove down the road where i live which is 10 miles of the hwy with my stock tires on 2012 ram got to 60km/25mph and nailed the brakes then paced the distance back it was 29 paces appx 90ft.Then with the winter studded tires the same thing on hard pack snow and the distance was 21 paces appx 63ft.that's 27ft shorted stopping.Again this is just my 2 cents. Tux.