DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Black Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
walc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Estate Man View Post
Reading this post made my IQ drop 3 points....

At the very least.

What is even more pathetic is how many of us have read and replied.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

These seem like very good engines. I was between this and the Ram. The boxy look and smallish regular cab swayed me towards the Ram.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
alacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
Alacey, good to hear the Ecoboost is doing well. Its a great truck and engine. I can't stand completely blind fan boys who down a product, but have no experience with it. 80% of the posts in here are along those lines.

The only thing I can say that the Ram has over the Ecoboost is the exhaust note. A turbo V6 will never sound as good as a V8, but that's just how it goes...
No doubts about that. This thing is a little too quiet sometimes. Most of the time I like it because there is no exhaust noise with the radio but sometimes I just want to hear that V8 rumble. Although the low end power more than makes up for it, it is still nice to hear it every now and then. Although my old fox body more than makes up for it.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Since you've been gone I have a couple freinds and family members with the Eco Boost. But none are tuned, they don't want to risk their warranties. That said, what warranty do you have? Also what's involved in your tune besides a what you described...like downpipe, boost increase, exhaust etc, what is DBW system? You say all the tunned eb fords are running low 13's with just 50 more hp, have you raced yours yet? Can you describe your tune in detail plz? And last, are you saying that without increasing boost or adding anything they are getting 50 more hp with a SC tuner...thx? And btw, the 4 door eb trucks are getting good times because of the torque the turbo puts outs. The more torque is better for the increased weight. As in Chevy trucks with big block 454's climb steep grades better than with 350 small blocks with shorter strokes.....not that you didn't know that already, lol.
My warranty is still intact. I spoke with the service manager about a tuner before I got one. He told me that as long as the tuner does not cause the issue without a reasonable doubt then I will be fine. For instance, if there is a known problem with the ignition or it is something that the tuner did not cause then it is covered under warranty. If the tuner I used raised the boost to 30 psi and I blow my engine then I am not covered.

The tune that I have only raises the boost 2 psi over stock. Stock, the turbos are putting out 16 psi and 18 psi with the tune. I have an Airriad intake, a 5 Star 87 & 93 perf/tow tune along with a 5 Star & MPT 93 performance only tune, and a Solo performance Mach 46 exhaust. DBW means drive-by-wire throttle that is calibrated through the ECU/ECM and not like the old cable driven throttles. The only Hemi I have raced stock was a 2011 Hemi 4-door 4x4(mine is a 4-door 4x4 short bed 3.55 LSD) and I was almost two truck lengths ahead by the time we hit 80 mph both times. Third time was from a 30 mph roll and I was only a truck length ahead by the time I hit 80 mph. I don't think the driver knew how to drive because it should have been closer. The only Hemi that I raced tuned was a late model Challenger R/T (I think it was an auto). We were neck and neck in the first race and he got me by half a car on the second light.

The 5 Star 87 & 93 performance/tow tunes I have are more torquier (if that is even a word) than the performance only tunes early on. It feels like it builds boost very quickly at even lower than stock rpms to give you maximum power for towing, but still giving you exceptional performance. The newest tune that 5 Star just came out with is his 93 performance only/no tow tune. It is noticeably quicker that his 93 perf/tow tune. I have never taken it to the track since there isn't one for 100s of miles but I did run it a few times with the Torque app in. My MPT(More Power Tuning) tune is the quickest I got adding 73RWHP and over 110RWTQ, but it also bypasses the factory torque management that the 5 Star tunes don't. 0-60 was 6.0 on the first run and 5.7 on the second with the 1/4 being at 13.9 on the first and 13.7 on the second(keep in mind that I have +1 aggressive Wrangler Duratrac tires). I boost launched the first at 1500 rpm and the second at 1800 rpm. The brakes will not hold that much after 1800 rpms boost launching it though. Maybe 1900 or 2000 rpms max before the low end torque of the truck starts to over power the brakes. It might have been helpful if I would have gotten a 4wd take off because I was spinning for a bit come off the line. I do not keep the performance only tune as a daily driver though. The performance tunes make the turbos come in to play a little later in the power band than the perf/tow tunes do. I am a torque junky and the 93 perf/tow gives me my fix with just a slight compression of the throttle and lower rpms than the performance tunes so I usually run those on a day to day basis. Plus it's shifting is a lot smoother and it's shift points are dead on in normal driving. Like I said before, Mike at 5 star works magic on his shifting logic and his custom tunes are well worth it for that alone.

Last edited by alacey; 12-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:13
CRANKYPISTOL is on a distinguished road

^^^I call BS on the Challenger race. Not a chance in hell!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

I'm still looking for an EB to line up with. A tuned one would be even better.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Chvyklr, how'd the move go? You ever going to get to any of the get together's that HTC have? And how are you liking the turbo truck?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Chvyklr, how'd the move go? You ever going to get to any of the get together's that HTC have? And how are you liking the turbo truck?
truck is awesome. almost wish I had a longer drive to work. haha. PM sent.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRANKYPISTOL View Post
^^^I call BS on the Challenger race. Not a chance in hell!
Video of a Supercab 4x4 F-150 Ecoboost with a canned SuperChips tune(SC sucks IMO) and an intake taking on a Challenger with a Hemi.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ecoboost_2382506.htm

The 13.91 that the Challenger posted in that video was only .4-.3 seconds off from the 13.5(2011 R/T) and 13.6 (2010 R/T) posted by an experienced Motor Trend driver in this article. An Ecooboost truck would not stand a chance against a SRT8.

The 13.97 that the tuned F-150 post is rather slow as most of the custom tunes like the 5 Star I have or the Livernois, MPT, and Unleashed tunes are putting up better numbers. Some like Livernois have broken into the 12' with a tune a few mods.

So my custom tuned Eco staying neck and neck with a Challenger is no BS or far fetched. Keep in mind even though I like to press the go pedal to the floor sometimes, I like my truck for it's ease of towing & low end torque more than anything. In the real world 1/4 mile times hardly mean anything me. I am just trying to show you I ain't BS'in you when I say that I can and did keep up with a Challenger R/T.

Last edited by brad12kx; 12-06-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacey View Post
My warranty is still intact. I spoke with the service manager about a tuner before I got one. He told me that as long as the tuner does not cause the issue without a reasonable doubt then I will be fine. For instance, if there is a known problem with the ignition or it is something that the tuner did not cause then it is covered under warranty. If the tuner I used raised the boost to 30 psi and I blow my engine then I am not covered.

The tune that I have only raises the boost 2 psi over stock. Stock, the turbos are putting out 16 psi and 18 psi with the tune. I have an Airriad intake, a 5 Star 87 & 93 perf/tow tune along with a 5 Star & MPT 93 performance only tune, and a Solo performance Mach 46 exhaust. DBW means drive-by-wire throttle that is calibrated through the ECU/ECM and not like the old cable driven throttles. The only Hemi I have raced stock was a 2011 Hemi 4-door 4x4(mine is a 4-door 4x4 short bed 3.55 LSD) and I was almost two truck lengths ahead by the time we hit 80 mph both times. Third time was from a 30 mph roll and I was only a truck length ahead by the time I hit 80 mph.
First off congrats on your wins and good luck with your truck. About your service manager, you'd better call Ford and get that statement from the horses mouth. From what a freind and owner of several Ford dealerships has told me, they will not warranty altered EB engines. Maybe it's changed but I'd still check with Ford. But your Airraid and Mach 46 exhaust alone would supposably void your warranty. Not to mention that to increase the boost to 18 lbs they would have to adjust the wastegate actuator. Meaning that you would have to re-adjust it when you remove the tune back and forth to stock....I think but not sure? I found a EB tuning warning bulletin about it a while back on the yellow bullet forums and posted here but the mAderators (lol) warned me that it was taboo and removed it. Anyway, I thought the stock boost pressure was 13 lbs, are you sure about the numbers? The hp increase sounds about right but the numbers sound off. I think that you would need to increase the fuel pressure (larger injectors) as well for that much boost. There is a guy who turns wrenches on turbos here on this forum. Hopefully he will see this and chime in on the subject about EB tuning....hint hint? None the less, good luck with your truck and congrats on your kills. (this statement is void if we ever cross paths, lol)