DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
sspc1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy peeling paint

My 96 Ram has been peeling paint for several years. One body shop said a new paint job would be more than what the truck is worth. I've heard that 1996 was a bad year for paint. Any truth to that?
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 2500
SeanMTX is on a distinguished road

1994-1996 were bad years for anything chemical and cosmetic for Rams. (Paint for many Chrysler vehicles)

Story as I understand it is that the EPA set new guidelines for additives in paint and interior plastics. This caused Chrysler to change their formulas and gave us the notorious problems we have with the paint and the non-UV protected interior plastics. They aren't safety related, so there never was a recall and it's something that we just deal with.

If you're looking to repaint the truck the same color, you might be able to find cheaper alternatives, but know that the quality will go down as the price does. If you want a different color, they'll have to sand everything and take it apart...way more pricey.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Green / Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:26
jssmith76 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jssmith76 Send a message via Yahoo to jssmith76

Yeah, my '97 has a good amount peeling off too. On the hood and top of the cab only so far. But, it did only start doing this about a year and a half ago. I've had thoughts of just doing a home grown camo paint job, since the truck is already green. But, what I really want to do is paint it flat black or just Rhino Liner the whole truck. Really don't feel like paying $3k or more for it, so I've thought about just doing it myself with some rattle cans. Really don't care about a "show-worthy" paint job, since I use it as a truck and like to take it off road.

33" Goodyear Wrangler's on 16x8 ProComp Xtreme Alloy 1869's; Spectre CAI, Flowmaster Super 40 Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, Grille Guard, Step Bars
Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

you could always go to a place like MAACO & just get a quick cheap paint job
i think they call it the ECONOMY finish

http://maaco.com/Tennessee-Maaco-Store-Locations.aspx
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
al9226 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspc1 View Post
My 96 Ram has been peeling paint for several years. One body shop said a new paint job would be more than what the truck is worth. I've heard that 1996 was a bad year for paint. Any truth to that?
Mine was the same. I tried Maco, but way too high and they seemed like I was bothering them. Went to Craigs List, found a Painter that did a great job for a good price.