DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
This is what I would do!

Talk to your friends a little more, they should know that there is a lot more to stroking a motor than adding longer rods.
You are pushing the piston further up into the quench area and you will need pistons that have valve reliefs so you don't have piston/valve contact. There are a lot of measurments to be taken before throwing in longer rods.
Longer rods won't change the stroke, it will just change the location of the piston within the bore.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 12-07-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Longer rods won't change the stroke, it will just change the location of the piston within the bore.
You are absolutely correct!
Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

I have the Liberty with the 3.7 and it has been a rock solid engine. Lots of torque for what it is. This engine responds very well to intake and exhaust mods. a decent CAI and better flowing exhaust give it another 30 ponies or so. It's very noticeable. Rebuild it stout and boost it, or find you a low mileage v-8 from a salvage yard to throw in it, Get creative.If you have engine guru's to help you, bump up the compression and go with some larger valves and stiffer valve springs for some more fun factor. I also had a 98 model Ram 1500 with what I believe was the 3,7... It was no speed demon, but like the Liberty it had bookoo torq. They like 5w-30 full syn. oil too. I picked up a few more mpg's running Mobil one syn in her at 5k intervals. The Liberty has 95K on the O.D. and still does not use a drop of oil. Wifey drives it, except for now she has fell in love with my Express and steals it quite often. Not cool, might have to kick her to the curb! Anyways good luck with whatever you decide. Just throwing some ideas at ya'.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
I have the Liberty with the 3.7 and it has been a rock solid engine. Lots of torque for what it is. This engine responds very well to intake and exhaust mods. a decent CAI and better flowing exhaust give it another 30 ponies or so. It's very noticeable. Rebuild it stout and boost it, or find you a low mileage v-8 from a salvage yard to throw in it, Get creative.If you have engine guru's to help you, bump up the compression and go with some larger valves and stiffer valve springs for some more fun factor. I also had a 98 model Ram 1500 with what I believe was the 3,7... It was no speed demon, but like the Liberty it had bookoo torq. They like 5w-30 full syn. oil too. I picked up a few more mpg's running Mobil one syn in her at 5k intervals. The Liberty has 95K on the O.D. and still does not use a drop of oil. Wifey drives it, except for now she has fell in love with my Express and steals it quite often. Not cool, might have to kick her to the curb! Anyways good luck with whatever you decide. Just throwing some ideas at ya'.
Your 98 had a 3.9, different animal altogether (although it was derived the same way, they took 2 cylinders out of a 318).

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Swapping in a 4BT Cummins would be interesting. But possibly the Jeep guys might have some goodies for the 3.7. Probably planing the heads and a mild cam regrind. Try to figure what happened to caused it to fail, don't want a repeat.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM

The Jeep guys swear by the Magnaflow cat back system. I have listened to a lot of sounds clips and it actually sounds darn good for a V-6!! I would love to put one on my jeep but its pricey.. Adding a CAI makes for nice gains. I did an EBay cheap CAI on mine and noticed an easy 10h.p. on the butt dyno
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Your 98 had a 3.9, different animal altogether (although it was derived the same way, they took 2 cylinders out of a 318).
That explains why it was such a good engine. I pulled a car that was buried to the frame in sand out easily with no throttle..Just eased the clutch out in 1st and out she went. I miss that truck but it was embarassing having to wave off people wanting to race me. It was a red 2wd & had the chrome wheels and trim plus a mopar sport fiberglass hood. Looked mean anyways. Cops watched it like buzzards on road kill.