DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsez View Post
I musta missed something cause i didnt see anythin about dino oils..I was just talkin about mineral/synthec
My apologies for misunderstanding. However, the reason I misunderstood you is that mineral oil (in the context of a combustion engine) is petroleum based (or dino) oil. Mineral oil comes from the distillation of crude oil.

So if your not referring to petroleum based oils I'm not sure what your referring to when comparing mineral and synthetic oils.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: 10/1500 sport
Color: mango tango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
craigsez is on a distinguished road

Holy god man....dont be so techy...Mineral being the off the shelf basic non synthetic run of the mill remains of dead plant/anminal oil(dino sore ass aka dino)...verces synthetic man made to spec in a lab kinda oil...

Last edited by craigsez; 12-10-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

I know for sure you can mix Amsoil with anything for sure, its going to lessen the life span but it doesnt necessarily do any harm. I would suggest everyone do themselves a favor and just run Amsoil for the life of the vehicle. They also offer a warranty if it is found their product to be the cause of any failure:

As long as customers maintain their vehicles properly and follow either the vehicle manufacturer recommendations or
AMSOIL recommendations, their vehicles are warranted against failure by either the vehicle manufacturer or AMSOIL
INC. In the unlikely event of an AMSOIL lubrication-related issue, the AMSOIL limited warranty covers the cost to
repair or replace the damaged components.

Last edited by bighemi04; 12-09-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Bighemi.....Not many think about oil testing in your average car cause its just not cost effective but i damn well bet the car maker will use it to prove their case..In that case oil testing can be the foot print that show internal issue that would lead to failure...

If you were to test your oil on a milage/time frame and your results were ok hell you could just keep running that oil for 100000 miles with fresh filters and the odd top off..
Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Holy god man....dont be so techy...Mineral being the off the shelf basic non synthetic run of the mill remains of dead plant/anminal oil(dino sore ass aka dino)...verces synthetic man made to spec in a lab kinda oil...
My apologies for being accurate; my intention was not to offend but to inform. Not everyone is familiar with the different terminology used for petroleum based oils some being more regional than others.

Quote:
I musta missed something cause i didnt see anythin about dino oils..I was just talkin about mineral/synthec
I took this statement to mean you didn't realise the terms dino and mineral both refer to conventional motor oil. If I misunderstood your statement, I apologise. However, it's possible your statement could create confusion for someone else.

Anyway, since we now agree mineral/dino refers to petroleum based oils it was the following statement I was originally commenting on:

Quote:
Only diff in syn and mineral is the additive package
This is inaccurate. Yes, there are different additives used in mineral/dino vs. synthetic but that isn't a significant difference. The two major differences would likely be that the base stocks are completely different, created in different ways, and synthetic doesn't require the use of Viscosity Index improvers to create a multi viscosity oil.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Bighemi.....Not many think about oil testing in your average car cause its just not cost effective but i damn well bet the car maker will use it to prove their case..In that case oil testing can be the foot print that show internal issue that would lead to failure...

If you were to test your oil on a milage/time frame and your results were ok hell you could just keep running that oil for 100000 miles with fresh filters and the odd top off..
They absolutely would test it. Some do test their oil to see how everything is going. I don't recall saying anyone needed to test their oil, just if Amsoil products are the cause they will replace the failed parts or components on their dime.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
My apologies for being accurate; my intention was not to offend but to inform. Not everyone is familiar with the different terminology used for petroleum based oils some being more regional than others.

I took this statement to mean you didn't realise the terms dino and mineral both refer to conventional motor oil. If I misunderstood your statement, I apologise. However, it's possible your statement could create confusion for someone else.

Anyway, since we now agree mineral/dino refers to petroleum based oils it was the following statement I was originally commenting on:

This is inaccurate. Yes, there are different additives used in mineral/dino vs. synthetic but that isn't a significant difference. The two major differences would likely be that the base stocks are completely different, created in different ways, and synthetic doesn't require the use of Viscosity Index improvers to create a multi viscosity oil.

I ment my statement about the differences as a general term..No hard done dude cause sometime i type before i think or get ahead of myself and hell i even confuse myself with my own thoughts at times..

Hell we can go deep into the differences and refineing process but whats the point right...For example oil found from one part of the world can be a lil different that oil found in yet another part of the world..All that based if its found in the sand or a liquid bulk in a deep hole,where its found based on length of time mother earth had it brewing and what ingredients she used to brew it with...Then that will also determine how its extracted and refined....
SOOOOO generally the differences between dino/mineral oils is that one is man made in a lab and chemically designed and the other just dead animals refined with a few chemical tweeks ie additive packages..

BIG HEMI::::
I ment by that being your average joe verses a car builder/oil manufacturer who tests their cars oils..
If i owned my own rig i would be adding a ops 1 or a eco pure oil filtration system and do oil testing every 15000 or so miles but in my ramster ill just change it...