DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jjbovenzi is on a distinguished road
Default I discovered something interesting with my Uconnect

Here's how it started. I took the RBZ head unit and Uconnect hands free kit out of my 2012 Ram Express and swapped them into my 2012 Big Horn. The Uconnect had been activated in the Express by the dealer. OK here's where it gets interesting.

After installing the HU and Uconnect into the Big Horn which did not come with Uconnect from the factory, my phone was still working through the Uconnect. However, the "Uconnect Phone" and "Voice Command" buttons on the HU when pressed display "uconnect phone not available".

So it appears that once you have sync'd your phone to the Uconnect it retains the ability to send and receive calls via the phone even if you transfer the Uconnect unit to another vehicle. I still need to take it to the dealer and have the Uconnect activated in this truck, just thought this was interesting.

Last edited by jjbovenzi; 11-27-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:117
Socalgordon will become famous soon enoughSocalgordon will become famous soon enough

Now the question is... can the 8.4N screen and bezel center piece from the 2013 be put in the 2012?? So you are saying that the radios fit in the 2013? I was told by the dealership that the support bars and holding spot for the radios in the 2012 were removed and redesigned for the 2013? I would LOVE to get that huge 2013 8.4 screen and bezel in the my 2012 big horn!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My error, I keep typing 2013, it is a 2012, can't answer that question for you.

Now the update... Everything is working as of today, I did not have to go to the dealership and have it activated. So I'm assuming that what happens when they activated it through the computer stays with the Uconnect box and really has nothing to do with the Trucks computer.

So now the question is this, if you buy a used Uconnect hands free kit that has already been activated, do you need to go to the dealer or not? I'm going to say not.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

When you have the vehicle flashed, they are programming the TPIM to tell the radio that you have added Uconnect module. They're not programming the Uconnect module itself. So if you bought a Uconnect module that was working in another vehicle, it would not work inn the new vehicle unless it has been flashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbovenzi View Post
My error, I keep typing 2013, it is a 2012, can't answer that question for you.

Now the update... Everything is working as of today, I did not have to go to the dealership and have it activated. So I'm assuming that what happens when they activated it through the computer stays with the Uconnect box and really has nothing to do with the Trucks computer.

So now the question is this, if you buy a used Uconnect hands free kit that has already been activated, do you need to go to the dealer or not? I'm going to say not.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ah, so by switching my radio along with the Uconnect I did it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

OK, update on the Head/Uconnect swap. I've been using the Uconnect OK for the past couple of weeks but here's what I discovered. The Uconnect will only recognize the iPhone when it is hardwired to the unit. If I unplug the USB cable from the phone and push the Phone or VS buttons I get the "Uconnect phone unavailable" message. So I will end up having to go to the dealer after all and have them flash the computer on this truck. I also decided to switch phones and go with my DROID X and see if I can get everything working, with the iPhone I could not get the text messaging to work and Uconnect even states that feature does not work with them. The DROID is supposed to be able to so we'll see. My wife's iPhone will do the text messaging with her Honda CRV though and I'm jealous! LOL
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM

I had thought that it was odd that the Uconnect worked after doing the swap because I had thought that the TPIM was flashed to "RSP" and then it powered up the Uconnect module.

If I remember correctly, the DroidX will only be able to receive messages but sending an SMS will fail. Also you have to make sure that the DX has the most current SW in it.

Quote:
OK, update on the Head/Uconnect swap. I've been using the Uconnect OK for the past couple of weeks but here's what I discovered. The Uconnect will only recognize the iPhone when it is hardwired to the unit. If I unplug the USB cable from the phone and push the Phone or VS buttons I get the "Uconnect phone unavailable" message. So I will end up having to go to the dealer after all and have them flash the computer on this truck. I also decided to switch phones and go with my DROID X and see if I can get everything working, with the iPhone I could not get the text messaging to work and Uconnect even states that feature does not work with them. The DROID is supposed to be able to so we'll see. My wife's iPhone will do the text messaging with her Honda CRV though and I'm jealous! LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Another thing I discovered today... by plugging in one of the already PAIR'D iPhones I was able to PAIR the DroidX! I had to do it twice as the first time around I wasn't getting any sound when making a call so I deleted it and PAIR'D it again and it works. It's still a bit iffy, doesn't seem to see the phone is there until I Stream via Bluetooth or hardwire it to the Uconnect USB port. Then I can unplug it and it keeps connected.

I can receive texts and have the HU read them to me but sending texts fails as you stated. I read somewhere else about giving access to your address book for texting to work but I haven't been able to figure out how?

The Droid is running 2.3.4 I updated it yesterday after doing a factory reset.

So I'm still going to the dealer in the morning and have it flashed and while I'm there have them add the radio to the VIN so I can get the RAM logo splash screen as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Uconnect flashed to new truck and everything is back to normal. However, the mechanic apparently did not know how to change the VIN associated to the HU so I still have the Chrysler flash screen. xsdbs can you tell me where I can get the instructions, or what the bulletin number might be for this so I can take that info to the dealer next time?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM

I don't know of a TSB for that. I have heard most people say that it was done by flahing the TPIM, it most likely is flashed to the non touchscreen radio and should be flashed to the new radio code, then the radio gets a CAN message on the vehicle type.

Quote:
Uconnect flashed to new truck and everything is back to normal. However, the mechanic apparently did not know how to change the VIN associated to the HU so I still have the Chrysler flash screen. xsdbs can you tell me where I can get the instructions, or what the bulletin number might be for this so I can take that info to the dealer next time?