DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 ramvan 3500
Trim Level: base
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
another white van is on a distinguished road

The reason I am asking is because I want to change the fluid and rule out the valve issue while checking the condition of the fluid.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

You are correct about the valve ramvan2500, don't know how I missed it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by another white van View Post
"The anti-drain back valve should be on the passenger side of the radiator, built into the plumbing. On the pressure line. "

Since the flow is good on the pressure line to the radiator, no plugged anti-drain back valve?

But for some reason it were past the cooler, it would need to be checked after the aux cooler before the transmission?
If you want to make your life simple, disconnect the return line from the transmission and stick it in a 1 quart container and make sure that it can pump 1 quart in atleast 10 seconds, my guess is that it may be a little less with the addition of the external cooler but cannot say with 100% certainty.

So this will fix the cooling problem, thank god.

As far as the code for the TCC/OD, could be that the wire on the solenoid is shorting out, maybe a cut in the wire or a dirty connector. But sometimes this code comes up without reason, and it doesn't always set off the CEL, but it does show up as a stored code on a scanner. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ramvan2500, you are a patient man!!!!

'If you want to make your life simple, disconnect the return line from the transmission and stick it in a 1 quart container and make sure that it can pump 1 quart in atleast 10 seconds'

Yes, I am ready for the simple life, drop the transmission....

I can do this, lol..
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ramvan2500, you are a patient man!!!!

'If you want to make your life simple, disconnect the return line from the transmission and stick it in a 1 quart container and make sure that it can pump 1 quart in atleast 10 seconds'

Yes, I am ready for the simple life, drop the transmission....

I can do this, lol..
Thanks, I try my best.
You don't have to drop the transmission lol. After rebuilding and modifying transmissions, working on them has become second nature for me.

And I am always happy to help, always here to help, anytime you need something just ask!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default upshot

Ramvan2500

I wanted to let you know on the latest update about my transmission quandry.

Update, after 20 or so miles the "OD off" light comes on and a few miles later the "trans temp" light appears.

Replaced the solenoids including the "lock-up/overdrive" meanwhile changed the fluid 3 times, replaced the filter after the 2nd fluid change. Adjusted the both bands, throttle rod and gear shift adjustment. After all this the van runs right and changes through the gears but the rear band adjustment I made was incorrect because the socket for the rear band is a special "Dodge" socket I had not available and in hindsight should not attemped to adjust without it.

Upshot....

Took it back to the used car dealer I bought the van through. The owner and I are close friends and he let me buy the van through Copart 6 years ago in Houston and had his mechanic change the fluid and re-adjust and verify my adjustments.

Everything shifts right but after the 20 mile test drive the "od off" light appears, but not the "trans temp" light.

Took it back for him to look at once more and finds nothing.

He suggested that I drive it until the "od off" light appears and then pull over and run the van in N for 2 min. and shut it down and restart it. If the "od off" light is on it is a mechanical problem, if the "od off" light is not on, it is an electrical issue.

After I shut the engine off in Neutral after 2 minuites and restarted it, the "od light" did not appear, so I have an electrial issue.

I asked him if my PCM is going south and needing replacement and he said that is not a conclusion that he would come to because there are no "check engine" codes pointing to that.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Forgot to mention, he recomended me to just drive it until it either burns up or it is an electrical problem that can be troubleshooted when he gets back after the 1st.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Forgot to mention, he recomended me to just drive it until it either burns up or it is an electrical problem that can be troubleshooted when he gets back after the 1st.
This is all the reason why I don't like the RE's! Electronics, yuck... Well thinking about it, have you ever replaced the temperature sensor? The only other thing I can think of other than a faulty sensor or maybe a short due to dirt on the connectors (outside of the case) or maybe a loose wire is that the OD switch is no good. But thinking about it I could see why you would jump to the PCM, matter fact that is starting to fester in my mind a bit... I would jump under the van and check very carefully all the wires for any cuts (particularly from squirrels), check the connectors for any loose contacts or dirt. Since you have OBD2 you can hookup a diagnostics scan tool and can monitor the temperature so I would recommend you do that, hook it up and monitor is while you drive until that light comes on and keep note of the temperature, I would also recommend that when the light comes on you put a thermometer to the pan and check the temperature just to compare the two.

I'm thinking it's probably an issue with the temperature sensor, if you replaced it well probably not the sensor but I would still hookup that scanner and check. Oh I recommend that the shop you bring it to uses the Snap-On MT2500,MTG2500, or newer.

Oh and don't keep replacing the fluid, that stuff is expensive. You can reuse it a few times, provided it isn't overly contaminated.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 12-26-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I would jump under the van and check very carefully all the wires for any cuts (particularly from squirrels), check the connectors for any loose contacts or dirt. .

I did find some dirty cut wires at the connector, likely suspect I can check out after it warms up a bit.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I did find some dirty cut wires at the connector, likely suspect I can check out after it warms up a bit.
I wouldn't say that because after the vehicle warms up the computer goes into a different program loop and starts to do more monitoring then warm up. But duh fix the wires... Did you replace the temperature sensor in the transmission?