DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DiverDanRamMan is on a distinguished road
Default No Ethanol VS Ethanol 10% Gas

For Several months I have been using only 93 No Ethanol gas in my Lincoln Navigator and started using the same gas on my new Ram R/T from the first day I got it. I really beleive the No Ethanol gas gives me much better performance and better fuel ecconomy in both vehicles. The only bad about using No Ethanol gas in my area is: There are only two locations to get the 93 octane No Ethanol gas, and they charge about $.40 - $.50 per gallon more than the ethonal 10% gas.

Is anyone else having this same problem? And, has anyone else compared the two fuels?

I don't understand why No Ethanol gas cost so much more than the Ethanol gas.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

In natural aspirated applications, a non-ethanol gas burns more efficiently because it has a faster burn wave and ethanol requires a higher ignition temperature to burn, so it really is a later second burn wave in the chamber. Also, ethanol has a lower BTU rating compared to regular gasoline, which means it requires more ethanol to create the same amount of power as regular gasoline.

That said, since your injectors are factory scaled for regular gasoline you'll see a decrease in mileage because you're replacing 10-15% of the regular fuel with a slower and less volatile fuel, so you won't make the same power per combustion cycle.

If you run forced injection, scale injectors, or tune specifically for ethanol, then you can advance timing a lot more compared to regular gasoline because of the slower burn wave, which means less potential for detonation/pinging.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Not only the power increase with no ethanol, but ethanol destroys fuel systems as well(rubber parts). I was using 91 ethanol free fuel for a while but there is only one place to get it and it's not on my way, it's more expensive than 10% ethanol 93 blend, and was just a PITA so I gave up trying.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
DiverDanRamMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
In natural aspirated applications, a non-ethanol gas burns more efficiently because it has a faster burn wave and ethanol requires a higher ignition temperature to burn, so it really is a later second burn wave in the chamber. Also, ethanol has a lower BTU rating compared to regular gasoline, which means it requires more ethanol to create the same amount of power as regular gasoline.

That said, since your injectors are factory scaled for regular gasoline you'll see a decrease in mileage because you're replacing 10-15% of the regular fuel with a slower and less volatile fuel, so you won't make the same power per combustion cycle.

If you run forced injection, scale injectors, or tune specifically for ethanol, then you can advance timing a lot more compared to regular gasoline because of the slower burn wave, which means less potential for detonation/pinging.
Thanks for the information. I do have a Superchip tuner for my Lincoln and I have it tuned for 93 octane performance mode, but I do not know of any way to tune for Non Ethonal vs Ethonal 10%. I think the onboard computer does this automatically because when I first changed over to 93 octane non ethonal, I could smell gas when I first started the engine, but now it has corrrected it's self and I don't smell the gas any more.

For my 2012 Ram R/T Hemi, I have a D/S Trinity tuner on order and will tune it for 93 octane performance also. I never noticed any fumes from the Hemi, maybe it computes faster than the Lincoln. I get about 18 mpg average (town/Highway) with my 2011 Lincoln Navigator 5.4L and my Ram R/T 5.7L. I think this is pretty good for both vehicles. If you really put your foot in them, they both get less MPG.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDanRamMan View Post
Thanks for the information. I do have a Superchip tuner for my Lincoln and I have it tuned for 93 octane performance mode, but I do not know of any way to tune for Non Ethonal vs Ethonal 10%. I think the onboard computer does this automatically because when I first changed over to 93 octane non ethonal, I could smell gas when I first started the engine, but now it has corrrected it's self and I don't smell the gas any more.

For my 2012 Ram R/T Hemi, I have a D/S Trinity tuner on order and will tune it for 93 octane performance also. I never noticed any fumes from the Hemi, maybe it computes faster than the Lincoln. I get about 18 mpg average (town/Highway) with my 2011 Lincoln Navigator 5.4L and my Ram R/T 5.7L. I think this is pretty good for both vehicles. If you really put your foot in them, they both get less MPG.
just a word to the wise. if your running 93gas with 10%Ethonal I would run the 91tune just to be on the safe side with less knocking and pinging
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:13
MF2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDanRamMan View Post
And, has anyone else compared the two fuels?
I have tested both fuels, in fact my thread is nearly identical in the description. I saw a noticeable difference and again after my tune.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102343
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even look at my MPG during the late fall to late spring seasons
damn winter blend gasoline sucks for mileage
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris b View Post
just a word to the wise. if your running 93gas with 10%Ethonal I would run the 91tune just to be on the safe side with less knocking and pinging
Actually, you are safer running ethanol than non-ethanol if you are worried about knocking and pinging because it has a slower burn wave. You won't make the same power, but you are less likely to have detonation issues with the advanced timing of the 93 octane tune if you run an ethanol blend.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Not only the power increase with no ethanol, but ethanol destroys fuel systems as well(rubber parts). I was using 91 ethanol free fuel for a while but there is only one place to get it and it's not on my way, it's more expensive than 10% ethanol 93 blend, and was just a PITA so I gave up trying.
the fuel system degradation does not apply in your case bud, your truck is designed to runon 85% ethanol, so your fuel system is equipped to handle it.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
the fuel system degradation does not apply in your case bud, your truck is designed to runon 85% ethanol, so your fuel system is equipped to handle it.
Yeah I know my truck is flexfuel. But my wife's car, my bike, all my small engine equipment, etc are not. It REALLY tears apart the small engines. I have rebuilt the carb on my mower 2 times last year as it just eats away the gaskets/seals/orings.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.