DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Beige
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
stoc2528 is on a distinguished road
Default How to disable overdrive '07 1500?

Hello guys,

I've got a '07 1500 with the 4.7ltr I've had the truck a year now and really like it, except for the 5-speed auto OD trans. It's too quick to shift into 4th or 5th and too slow to downshift out of them so I end up driving around with O/D Off and like the way my truck runs much better this way.

I drive slow (i.e. the speed limit) and don't really spend much time on the Interstate so I feel like the frick'n 4th and 5th OD gears cause me way more aggravation than any fuel savings would offset.

I'd like to turn the O/D feature off so I don't have to hit the button, twice every time I crank my truck. Is there a way to do this? ...A fuse i could pull or something? ...Or a way to make my truck to default to the "O/D Off mode"?

Thanks for the help,
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You're pretty much stuck with the button as your only O/D disabling option.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The other option would be to get a tuner, the superchips flashpaq, part number 3865, and get the advanced trans tuning and you can set your own shift schedules.

You are pretty much correct though, the trucks from the factory are REALLY quick to up shift and REALLY slow to downshift. This is for fuel savings, of course. I am currently using the superchips trans shift schedule, which is significantly better than stock, but would still like a little more feel to it so will be purchasing the advanced trans tuning soon.

I've been cruising around with the 6th gear locked out, so cruising in the 5th gear, and I seem to get the same mpg as long as I don't go above 70mph. I have 3.55's. I did this to see how my mpg would be if I swapped to 4.10's. If I get up around 75mph or 80mph it does put a hurt on mpg though. I really like having the power on the highway without having to downshift, so even if I want to cruise at 75mph and lose a couple mpg it's almost worth it IMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Color: Beige
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
stoc2528 is on a distinguished road

If the superchip thingy would let me "lockout" 5th that might be a workable option.

I guess I'm old school but I had finally got used to 4-speed autos and then they went and added more gears, which I wouldn't mind if they left the high gearing alone and gave me an extra gear(s) so I could have a lower 1st gear.

I would use the Tow/Haul mode since my owners manual says that locks out 5th but it also hunts between about 50mph and 60mph. I like the O/D Off mode better because my truck goes just fine without the transmission distracting me by shifting between 4th Locked, 4th Unlocked and 3rd direct during a greater portion of my commute.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You could change your gear ratio to shift the gears to a higher rpm(less hunting, etc). This would essentially be like having another gear down low and one less up high. Expensive though.

I don't think you can fully lock out 6th gear with the tuner, but you MIGHT be able to set the shift schedule to where it will never shift into 6th. Like maybe you can set it to where it will only shift in to 6th at 100mph or higher, or something like that.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.