DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
inkram is on a distinguished road
Default Swapping gas tanks!!

My problem is, I'm taking my stock gas tank out of my 95' ram 1500 and putting in a poly tank from a 88' jeep wrangler. My truck is fuel injected, the wrangler is not!
That's where my problem lies, I need to get an external fuel pump and I guess a regulator.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about doing yhis swap? What type of fuel pump and regulator would work for this application?

Thank you
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use an external AIRTEX electric fuel pump on my 1971 440 4bbl Dodge Polara without fuel injection
it was a good pump, i also used their regulator
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

cool, I'll look them up.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
hunter2012 is on a distinguished road

Oh hell, I'll bite.

WHY?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Here is my reason. I was on the beach and blew a rear brake line, to change it I had to drop my gas tank. When I under the truck looking at the tank, I noticed how exposed it was. (I'm setting the truck up for rock crawling in the spring). So I took the spare tire out and I want to mount a smaller tank in it's place, so it's more protected and out of the way. I'll build a tire mount in the bed later before I go wheeling. The early jeep tanks fit nice in that spot, the only problem is the jeep tank that I have is not from a fuel injected jeep, there is no fuel pump in it. Since my truck is fuel injected, I need to find an external fuel pump and regulator system that will run a ram 1500, with a 318 motor. I was going to go with a fuel cell but didn't want to spend the money.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Disgruntled

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Black & Chrome
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
namccanna will become famous soon enough

You said the Jeep tank is Poly.....why not just cut and mold a place into it for your existing fuel pump? Find a nice flat spot on the poly tank, cut an appropriate hole and drop your fuel pump in it (that is IF this poly tank is similar in depth as your existing tank). I'd use some good gasket maker that resists gas and other fluids to seal the pump in the tank along with a few self tappers.

I had a 80's something Ford Ranger years ago. The gas tank in it had rotted out a nice hole on the very top of the tank. I found it the first time I filled the truck up and went to leave the gas station and had Niagra Falls under my truck. When I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank, the clips that hold it in crumbled in my fingers. I patched the hole with fiberglass resin and matting and then put the pump back in its hole using the above mentioned method. Worked great! Drove the truck to the scrap yard after breaking the frame......yeah, we beat on 'er pretty good! It was cheap ($150) and fun....what can I say!?