DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:39
Spidey1.0 is on a distinguished road
Default Should I be concerned..?

Here's the story:

I was towing my '65 mustang on a trailer with my truck from Memphis, TN to Cincinnati, OH (about a 500 mile trip) The truck is a 2002 Ram 2500 with the 5.9L and a 5 speed transmission. I've had the truck about a year, and it has around 135,000 miles on it. This is the first time I've ever really towed something heavy like this for an extended trip.

Well, about 400 miles into the trip, I go to exit off the interstate for a break. I tapped the brake (to disengage cruise control) and pushed the clutch to put the truck in neutral but instead of the revs going down, they shot up to redline as if the gas pedal was on the floor. I immediately put it back into gear..and started slowing down in 5th gear. I checked and the pedal was not stuck on the floor, so I thought maybe it was fixed, tried putting it in neutral again, and again the throttle was wide open. So I just shut the truck off, put it in neutral, and pulled to a stop on the side of the exit ramp.

When I looked under the hood, i found the trottle was stuck wide open. I unstuck it, and was able to start the truck and drive slowly to a nearby gas station for further assesment. Well I cleaned out the throttle body as good as a could and it was pretty dirty. But I thought the issue had something to do with the cruise control. We decided to just stop the trip there for the night and dealt with it in the morning.

The next morning, I started the truck, and it drove just fine with no issues. However, I didn't use the cruise control the entire time for fear that it would cause the throttle to get stuck again!! Since this happened, I haven't had another issue with the throttle being stuck open, and have even used the cruise control a time or two to see if it still worked correctly and I haven't had any issues.

My question is should I be worried that there is a possibility that the cruise control is not working right? Or does it sound more like the throttle just got stuck open because the throttle body was really dirty? I've heard people tell me that there could be an issue with the cruise control mechanism..or that there could be an issue with the throttle cable (maybe?) and the cable is getting frayed on the inside which caused it to stick? I've driven the truck a couple thousand miles since this without an incident, but it's still in the back of my mind..especially if someone besides me were to borrow my truck and it happened, would they know what to do? Any comments, suggestions to try would be much appreciated. It's just sort of weird to me that this happened once, but since then nothing has happened again..
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like the microswitch on your brake pedal or clutch pedal (whichever isn't disconnecting the CC) is broken.OR, an electrical connector associated with those two pedals is loose/ disconnected, perhaps?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: red over silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Trouble is on a distinguished road

Check the cruise control cable for fraying. (both ends)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:39
Spidey1.0 is on a distinguished road

Well the cruise control disengages now..plus, I immediately thought about that, but once the truck was turned off, wouldn't the cruise control have been disengaged automatically? The throttle was still stuck wide open.

I don't see any fraying on the cruise control cable