DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: Deep cherry crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HEMILY07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedodgeram View Post
Hello everyone, I'm just looking to see if anyone knows about this engine noise that I have. When I first start the truck, the engine starts up quiet, and smooth as it rpm's rise, then as the engine idles down, you hear the knock, pause knock, knock, knock, then the knock comes once in a while, then quietens out, as the engine temp. rises. Hopefully this isn't an issue, when the weather gets colder the knock seems louder, hopefully a Chrysler engineer can answer my question, for the knock is annoying and embrassing at the same time. It would definately drive away future Dodge Ram owners to another Manufacturer.
I had my engine replaced because of that issue. I was told the hemi has issues withthe oil pump sitting too close to the pan which in turn brings down the oil pressure and sucks up all the crap in the bottom of the pan. Thank god for warranty. My new motor is starting to do the same thing. Also burning anti freeze. 2 liters per oil change. Hope this message helps you
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge ram 1500 crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
daego65 is on a distinguished road

My 2005 had the tick early on, put 278,000 miles on it never had a problem with the motor. Put 2 trannys in it because of owner abuse. (pulled a 28' enclosed trailer every day). No tick yet on my 2012, got 9,000 miles on it. Cant figure out why it wont smoke the tires. my '05 would light the tires like right now.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Wild Cherry metallic
HEMI PUP is on a distinguished road
Default I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedodgeram View Post
I will make a video when the so called hemi knock, tick occurs, I just got home from work, and I can't reproduce the noise at this time. The engine has to be cold, usually first morning start she will do it. The funny thing is, when I changed my oil to synthic 5w20, that's when I noticed it. A direct injected engine will make noise from the injectors, because of the high pressure fuel system, same as an older deisel engine would. But the hemi has no reason to have this knock, tick. Metal to metal sound, doesn't sound right to me.
I feel ya man. I bought a new Ram Express Hemi in August. It has 5200 miles on it now but at about 3700 miles I've got a low end knock. Took to dealer 12/10/12 and they listened to it. Loud especially at startup. Service Manager told me its the "hemi knock". I dont know to buy it or not but if mine gets any louder i'm taking it back. Makes me wonder if I ever have a squeak they'll call it a hemi squeak. Lol. Its got a 100000 mi powertrain. I hear ya.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram HEMI
Rep:36
MEZERR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI PUP View Post
Makes me wonder if I ever have a squeak they'll call it a hemi squeak. Lol.
That's exactly what's going to happen.

ANY engine noise they say it's Hemi Tick / Knock. You could have a piston hanging out the side of the engine, and they would call it Hemi Knock.

FWIW, My engine is being replaced because of the low end knock knock knock.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEZERR View Post
That's exactly what's going to happen.

ANY engine noise they say it's Hemi Tick / Knock. You could have a piston hanging out the side of the engine, and they would call it Hemi Knock.

FWIW, My engine is being replaced because of the low end knock knock knock.
Hi MEZERR, That's good to hear they did something about the issue. When I had my Ford, I had a loud hammering when first cold started, and it lasted for a couple of minutes, but then it would eventually go away, I tried almost every Ford dealership here in Edmonton, Alberta, they would do nothing. I kept fighting with Ford Canada and the dealerships, and they knew about the problem but they were willing to do nothing, and it was passed over to Ford Canada Customer Service department, I made a claim number, still nothing they were willing to do. The last time I brought the vehicle in to the dealership, one of the senior technicians listened to my issue, then he took me aside and mentioned to me, the only way they would repair the issue is to drive that engine hard till it blows up were his exact words, he mentioned to try to blow up the engine if you can, thats the only way we can get the engine repaired. If the engine is running with no check engine lamps, or stored fault codes, they will do nothing in the meantime, it's just the way it is. I find that BS, then I mentioned this is the last Ford I will ever purchase, ever! But I understand it was a fight with you, but at least they took care of the issue for you, which is good to hear.

Last edited by bluedodgeram; 12-23-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Black
CLO2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Hemi tick / knock

My 2012 Ram Hemi started a knocking sound with 10900 miles on 12/28/12. It sounded really bad and did it at any temperature. Took to dealer on 12/31/12 and was told that the "lifters" sounded bad and mechanic will have to look inside for any further damage that this problem may have caused. Hopefully, there will be no piston damage. Was given a cheap loaner car in meantime.

This seems to be an issue all over the internet on Hemi's. I wonder if there will ever be any recalls on this issue? It is a real problem out there that Chrysler should address. I will post further info when available.

Here is a youtube link to a truck that sounds like mine, except mine seems louder. Start watching at 1:18

Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road

My truck (2009 Hemi 4x4) has a tick noise, almost like water droplets dripping, and it happens across a wide range of rpm and doesn't matter if it is warm or cold. I may try to record the sound. Judging by this discussion it probably is nothing to worry about. I would not call it engine knocking, but tapping, or ticking. It is subtle and quiet, one would not really hear with music on. I appreciate any and all feedback.