DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CrewSport1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Camera kit wiring connections

Hi. I'm installing the backup camera kit on my 2011 crewcab sport. The instructions say to splice into cavity 15 of power C5 of the TIPM. Problem is I don't know which of two harness plugins (grey or brown) into the TIPM is C5. Instructions say L1 circuit for cavity 15 is WT/LG which neither have in that position so tracing the wires didn't provide the answer. I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram. Has anyone here done the install on a 2011 or later? Thanks. Mike
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew
Color: Deep Cherry
Razorback is on a distinguished road

Good luck. I'm in the same boat. The wires are NOT where they say on the instruction disc you got. I found the wire to be the white with red stripe WH/R, even though it says it should be the wht/light green stripe WH/LG. (2011 CC sport) AND it was not in C5 for 2009-10 or in C15 for 2011-12. Probed the wires and WH/R was the one that switched on when in reverse. Verified by checking the wire to the reverse lamp in the tail light, same colors WH/R. This should be what your looking for.

Here's my problem, dealer flashed and the unit powers up, recognizes at the RBZradio and says"check surroundings" when in reverse(Wh/R wire turns on monitor, it is in slot 2 on the pin connector) but I get no video. Checked continuity from the camera back to each pin connector(all good) and power and ground(also good) but for some reason the monitor comes up black. I'm curious if the diagram of the TIPM was wrong is the one for the radio wrong as well? I cant find a schemetic of the pin connector of the RBZ radio anywhere. I'd like to verify the pin connectors are in the correct location. It says slots 3(GY/LB), 4(GY/OR) and 5(shield). I have deduced I either have a bad camera or the pins are in the wrong slots.

Anybody have a diagram of the pin connection locations on the radio RBZ?

Last edited by Razorback; 02-18-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
ronnie11223 is on a distinguished road

ok I just installed the camera kit in my 2011 dodge ram sport the instruction say to tap into the big brown plug it is the in sort of the middle no it says to tap in the white with light green tracer wire well that is there and I tapped into it and nothing! if you read the instructions it says if you have a 2010 ram to use the white with red tracer wire well I figure why not try that one cause its not working and sure enough it worked!!! it must have something to do with the build date of the truck! also the camera wont work until you have the dealer activate it the dealer charged my $65 to activate mine and it didn't work (because I tapped the wrong wire) but the screen did go black but the camera did not come on!
now the way I know the white with red wire worked is because I tested it with a test light it is very easy to do and ill explain it.
start your truck and go to the tipm find the 2 wires white with light green tracer and the whit with red tracer push in the test light and you should get nothing! now put on your emergency brake and put the truck in reverse (please be carful) now go back to the wires and test the 2 wires which ever one gives you the light is your reverse wire crimp and solder the camera trigger wire and your up and running!
if you need anymore help I would be glad to talk on the phone here is my cell # 718-490-4263 hope this helps you guys out! and those are there just keep looking!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram sport 1500
Color: black
ronnie11223 is on a distinguished road

@ at razorback I had to add the white plug to plug into my radio I have the RHB radio
it was not present on my truck it came with the kit im just making sure you didn't add the wires to existing plug (I made this mistake!) if your looking at the back of the radio the existing plug was to the right I had to use the white plug that in the and plug into the slot on the left! the camera wire I added were the only wires in this plug
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 AM

Ronnie...You got it. I figured it out this morning. I had them on the existing plug(instructions are a little vague) The only place I saw "white" mentioned was on the pic of the connector. If I'd had a diagram of the radio I would have known the spare plug was for the park assist features. DOH! What got me was 2 of the little PIN connectors were crushed flat right out of the package. I took great care to bend them back right but when it didnt work I assumed they were the culprit. After sorting through countless trays of differernt connectors we found and replaced them with new and it STILL didnt work...grrrr. Then reading the instructions for the umpteenth time Thanks

EDIT: The fun part was driving to the dealer in a snowstorm this morning with no heat/defrost or 4x4 since the dash was in the back seat.

Last edited by Razorback; 02-20-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewSport1500 View Post
Hi. I'm installing the backup camera kit on my 2011 crewcab sport. The instructions say to splice into cavity 15 of power C5 of the TIPM. Problem is I don't know which of two harness plugins (grey or brown) into the TIPM is C5. Instructions say L1 circuit for cavity 15 is WT/LG which neither have in that position so tracing the wires didn't provide the answer. I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram. Has anyone here done the install on a 2011 or later? Thanks. Mike

Brown plug, WH/R wire. The wiring diagram actually shows that, not WH/LG as it says in the text....and it's not in either of the indicated slots.

Last edited by Razorback; 02-20-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Color: white
Tack is on a distinguished road

On a mopar install with RBZ do you need to run power to the batt or does the radio power the camera?

And doesnt the harness for the camera just plug into the radio? or do you need to splice? the intructions were a bit vague

Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Good luck. I'm in the same boat. The wires are NOT where they say on the instruction disc you got. I found the wire to be the white with red stripe WH/R, even though it says it should be the wht/light green stripe WH/LG. (2011 CC sport) AND it was not in C5 for 2009-10 or in C15 for 2011-12. Probed the wires and WH/R was the one that switched on when in reverse. Verified by checking the wire to the reverse lamp in the tail light, same colors WH/R. This should be what your looking for.
The above is for the power wire and is part of the harness (WHT/LG wire from harness splices to WHT/R wire from the brown plug )

The 3 pin connectors go in slots 3,4 and 5 of the WHITE connector on the passenger side of the radio, NOT the existing grey plug. If yours doesnt have one use the one supplied in the kit.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road

Do any of you guys know where I could get the install instructions in a PDF file?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Comes with a disc, but there is a link here...

http://moparonlineparts.com/1500-pro...em-p-2516.html