DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500
Color: Maroon
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
trigger22 is on a distinguished road

I didn't get a chance to check it out today, but my check engine light came on and I had P1740-TCC O/D SOL. The bad part about it is, they guy that read the code for me erased it. I would have liked for it to have still been there when I took the truck back into the transmission shop. With this code, should I still do the previously mentioned checks?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
I didn't get a chance to check it out today, but my check engine light came on and I had P1740-TCC O/D SOL. The bad part about it is, they guy that read the code for me erased it. I would have liked for it to have still been there when I took the truck back into the transmission shop. With this code, should I still do the previously mentioned checks?
Just about every person that has a 46RE has had this code and it is so annoying because you can spend all the time replacing solenoids, checking wiring harnesses, doing just about anything logical to fix the problem yet it always turns out to be something wouldn't expect. You want to know something, I'm wondering if the torque converter clutch is hung up or something, that would cause an overheating issue... Without being there it is difficult for me or anyone to with certainty come up with a solution, mainly because there can be multiple sources to the problem. First thing to figure out is why the hell is the transmission getting hot, is it cooling, is it the bands (maybe the rear band is too tight which does cause the transmission to get very hot), is it a hung up clutch... And so on, most likely once you fix the overheating issue, everything else will go away.

So find out why it's overheating, check the cooling system, make sure there aren't any clogs and the pump is able to deliver the proper volume in timely fashion. The worst thing that is coming to my mind is the lube feed hole in the intermediate shaft isn't aligned with the lube feed hole in the OD piston retainer. It doesn't have to be perfectly aligned but the closer the better and when you grenade a OD unit it is very easy to misalign the holes during a rebuild.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks again for the help. I never got a chance to do anything myself and I felt that after already paying someone to do a job I shouldn't have to go behind them a do anything extra. I ended up being able to talk them into taking the truck back and looking at it. Hopefully it is a quick and easy fix and this will be the end of it.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Does anyone know where I can find wiring diagrams for the transmission system and more inparticular the torque converter clutch solenoid? The transmission shop took my truck back and "claims" to have replaced everything again and are still saying I need to have the pcm programmed or replaced. I know it sends the ground signal to initiate lock up, but I am still not convinced it is the pcm causing it. My money is on something that was done during the rebuild. I will still end up taking the truck to dodge and let them check the pcm, if it is good then the transmission shop WILL be paying the bill and will also be taking my truck back and making it right or they will see me in the court room and the better business bureau will be contacted. The system can't be that complicated. If anyone has the schematics, I would greatly appreciate them.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
You want to know something, I'm wondering if the torque converter clutch is hung up or something, that would cause an overheating issue... .
Yes, according to the shop the pcm is sending the signal to randomly engage and disengage the tcc even when it is not supposed to. This problem didn't exist until they rebuilt the transmission and replaced everything. They have now said they replaced all of the sensors again (I'm skeptical) and it is still bad. I think the torque converter could be causing this just as well though. I am taking the truck to have the pcm checked and would really like to get my hands on some schematics so I can troubleshoot the thing myself.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, according to the shop the pcm is sending the signal to randomly engage and disengage the tcc even when it is not supposed to. This problem didn't exist until they rebuilt the transmission and replaced everything. They have now said they replaced all of the sensors again (I'm skeptical) and it is still bad. I think the torque converter could be causing this just as well though. I am taking the truck to have the pcm checked and would really like to get my hands on some schematics so I can troubleshoot the thing myself.
Sounds like they may have either shorted out the computer or maybe they weren't very careful removing the transmission or installing it and could have cut a TCC wire so you have this intermitant connection. I think I can help you out with some wiring diagrams, I cannot upload them now because I'm away from my computer that has all the schematics. But I'm sure when you take the vehicle to the dealer they will have a much better diagnostics tool which can test the computer and give you an idea if it is good or bad.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My appointment for having the pcm checked was for today and as I suspected there wasn't anything wrong with the computer. So I took it back to the rebuilder and they are going to replace the torque converter. I wish they would actually diagnose and troubleshoot the thing, but I guess they prefer to do shotgun maintenance. Oh well, hopefully this fixes it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The torque converter fixed the problem. Thanks again for all of your help
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The torque converter fixed the problem. Thanks again for all of your help
Glad to hear that you got everything all fixed, I am surprised they didn't replace the converter when they did the rebuild!!! It is usually recommended, did they mention it to you or did you just say naa?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

They did replace it on the initial rebuild or at the very least charged me for it. I assume it was replaced though because I didn't have this problem until after the rebuild. They most likely installed a bad one from the part store.