DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BurntCherryCoke is on a distinguished road
Default Increase Fuel Effeciency?

Hey guys, just bought my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Lonestar Edition w/ 5.7L v8 Hemi. I've only driven it 500 miles but have been toying a lot with the Eco-boost function that automatically comes on while driving a constant speed, or decelerating. Before I learned a few tricks to milk it, I was averaging around 14 mpg highway. Now that i've learned a few tricks on how to milk the Eco-boost, I'm getting between 17-20 mpg highway (depending on where i'm going... the more hills / overpasses your route will have, the lower the mpg you'll get. I've been learning which highway routes in Houston, Tx give better mpg over others).

Now that i'm driving where Eco-boost is on 80% of the time or more, I'm trying to see how I can break the 20mpg mark constantly. I've been reading everything from:
  • Messing with the Cat-converter
  • Putting in a Cold Air Intake
  • Changing the tire pressure
  • Swapping out my hood with a carbon-fiber hood to decrease the truck's weight - thus increasing mpg
  • Putting plates behind the grill so air doesn't flow through the engine but creates a wall slicing through the air better
  • Using lucas lubricants in the fuel (i've done that with older cars and works well, unsure how that'll work with a new vehicle)
  • Install adjusting air suspension, where the truck lowers closer to the ground when driving on the highway.
  • Tuning chip that is "supposed" to increase mpg.
All of these individually seem like they wouldn't make much of a difference, but combined they would probably make a huge impact. But doing all of them would be extremely expensive (mainly the hood and suspension) and would take half a decade to break even on the amount of fuel i would save. I was wondering if i'm missing anything? I have heard about tuning chips that can increase my particular year ram mpg up to 10, but doesn't most void the warranty?

If i'm missing something that can be done, let me know. Or if anyone has done the above mentioned and has noticed an increase in their mpg please post up! I'm not sure there is any one single thing that can be added to the vehicle to dramatically increase fuel economy. How aggressive you are behind the wheel will always be the #1 means for increasing or decreasing your mpg, but if anyone knows any tweeks that won't void any warranties or make it fail emissions inspections, i'd appreciate some input. Thanks

Last edited by BurntCherryCoke; 01-09-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Aerodynamics will have a bigger effect on highway MPG than any other mods you can do. Things like bed covers, mirror deletes, blocking off more grill, aero under trays, reducing ride height, reducing wheel well gap are all drops of rain. But many drops of rain can result in a puddle.

Guys are noticing MPG increases from the Diablo and Bullydog tuner. I think the added power makes it easier for the truck to stay in MDS mode. Eliminating the clutch driven fan while adding a 180 thermostat then setting the e fan temp to 200 degrees can help on the highway. If you're not running A/C the fan will never come on while moving.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
Aerodynamics will have a bigger effect on highway MPG than any other mods you can do. Things like bed covers, mirror deletes, blocking off more grill, aero under trays, reducing ride height, reducing wheel well gap are all drops of rain. But many drops of rain can result in a puddle.

Guys are noticing MPG increases from the Diablo and Bullydog tuner. I think the added power makes it easier for the truck to stay in MDS mode. Eliminating the clutch driven fan while adding a 180 thermostat then setting the e fan temp to 200 degrees can help on the highway. If you're not running A/C the fan will never come on while moving.
Are the tuners voiding the warranty though?
Yea I saw the diablo tuner on AA, unless it was increasing the mpg by 7-10 on the highway, i can't see spending $600.

Yea i've heard about blocking the air flowing through the grill, wouldn't you need a hood to have vents in it at that point so the engine cavity doesn't get too hot?

Last edited by BurntCherryCoke; 01-09-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCherryCoke View Post

Are the tuners voiding the warranty though?
Yea I saw the diablo tuner on AA, unless it was increasing the mpg by 7-10 on the highway, i can't see spending $600.

Yea i've heard about blocking the air flowing through the grill, wouldn't you need a hood to have vents in it at that point so the engine cavity doesn't get too hot?
The tuner thing has been well discussed on here as far as warranty goes. And you wouldn't block off the entire grill and having a vented hood would be sending you back to square one. 2013s are going to have grill shutters that shut when not needed and open when more air flow is needed. I'm wondering if they can be retrofitted. As far as aero mods go doing a mirror delete would probably have the biggest gain of them all. The factory mirrors catch a lot of air.

Like I said when you think of MPG mods you need to think of everyone as a drop of rain. One drop isn't always all that noticeable , but when added up you have a puddle. If you did a full out hyper miler build my guess is 25mpg highway is the max you'll see out of these trucks.

Keep in mind your truck will get a lot better after roughly 5000 miles and switching to summer gas.

Last edited by mikennrg; 01-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

blocking grill will heat up the motor quickly, I've done it while testing for the track and forgot to take them off when I was testing other things...

I do get over 20 mpg's but that's due to the modding I've done motorwise. I modded for performance and the byproduct was mpg's. I am catless, run headers and full exhaust with no restricting Y pipe, cai, cam , heads, gears, efan, tuner with custom tune..
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

what is a eco-boost function

just kidding I know what he means. It's not called that right? It's just ECO mode? Sounds like we are mixin in some FERDecoboost up in here
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin776 View Post
what is a eco-boost function

just kidding I know what he means. It's not called that right? It's just ECO mode? Sounds like we are mixin in some FERDecoboost up in here
lol sorry that's all i knew what to call it. i keep hearing on television commercials "eco-boost" so when i saw eco pop up on my screen that's what i assumed it was called lol.

Last edited by BurntCherryCoke; 01-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCherryCoke View Post
lol sorry that's all i knew what to call it. i keep hearing on television commercials "eco-boost" so when i saw eco pop up on my screen that's what i assumed it was called lol.
Yea the eco-boost is Fords new line of twin turbo engines.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
blocking grill will heat up the motor quickly, I've done it while testing for the track and forgot to take them off when I was testing other things...

I do get over 20 mpg's but that's due to the modding I've done motorwise. I modded for performance and the byproduct was mpg's. I am catless, run headers and full exhaust with no restricting Y pipe, cai, cam , heads, gears, efan, tuner with custom tune..
Have you run into inspection issues at all? I've heard by messing with the exhaust will cause an emission spike.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post

I agree with much of this. Even with the A/C on while moving at highway speeds, it's unlikely the electric fan will come on. Messing with the cat is a bad idea, IMO. One - because I've never seen any imperical evidence that there's any mileage to be gained and two - it will kill your warranty.