DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
bigblock4speed is on a distinguished road
Default Engine died then code P0506 pending

Yesterday morning I went out to start the truck and when I turned the key I got a rapid clicking and the headlights flashed with the clicking. I could see the headlights because it was still dark out.

I opened the hood and was prepared to jump the truck, but upon inspection noticed the Positive cable was loose on the post. I turned it until it was tight and the truck fired up and ran.

On my way to work the truck, the truck would stall whenever I pushed the clutch in while slowing to a stop or to merge onto a road. When I got to work the truck was idling around 500 and the Volt gauge was sinking down below half (where it usually stays all the time). If I gave the truck gas or it was under throttle the gauge would return to normal.

So, I went to Auto Zone to see if the alternator was bad, and the kid checked the codes. There was a P0506 pending and his meter told me the voltage regulator was bad. I learned the regulator is in the ECU and not within the alternator. I had him give me the alternator anyway and I installed it. The truck acted the same as it was prior to the new alternator.

I went back to Auto Zone to have them bench test the alternator, but they didn't have the Dodge connector. I had him retest the new alternator in the truck and the regulator failed again. The voltage at the battery with the truck running was 12.10-12.4v. If I gave it throttle, the voltage on his meter jumped to 14.4-14.6v. So at least I know the gauge is accurate.

All the while the truck was cutting out and dying between my house and Auto Zone. So I removed the IAC and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and used a rag to clean out the throttle body where the IAC goes. Both were extremely dirty.

After I did this, the volt gauge returned to normal, and the idle improved to 650 or 700 and seems to stay there. It didn't stall or cut out at all today.

Sorry to be so long winded but my question is, is this a cause and effect issue going on here?

I can't see how the IAC being dirty could pull the idle down AND drop the voltage 2 volts?

Is the regulator in the ECU bad and caused the IAC to throw the P0506 code.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
bigblock4speed is on a distinguished road

FWIW- I went back to Auto Zone and had them check the alternator now that the IAC was cleaned and the voltage regulator passed and was holding 14.4v.

Looks like the dirty IAC pulled the idle down enough to lower the voltage.