DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 RAM 4.7
Trim Level: SLT LONE STAR
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
eddysald is on a distinguished road

in order for reverse to engage the only way ive gotten it to engage is by stepping on the throttle and when it engages it does so with a solid thump... for drive and 2 1 to work i need to select D and wait a couple of seconds for it to go into gear (again with a solid thump)... once i let the engine idle, it slips out of gear into "nuetral" and i have to give it gas so that the gear engages again.
i cant answer the other questions since i haven't driven the truck on roads... i've only moved it on my drive way
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

OK, it sounds to me like you've got a line pressure problem, and it only engages when you rev up the engine (which should increase your line pressure if it's below target). But it makes no sense to me that it can be blatantly slipping and not set a Gear Ratio Error fault.

I would recommend:
1. Check the fluid level, idling in PARK. Do not put it into gear any more, if you can avoid it (you are frying your clutches when you do).
2. If fluid level is OK, drop the oil pan and check the filters. Make sure they're not loose / cracked / dislodged / etc. Check the side seam on the main sump filter; sometimes they split open along the seam.
3. If filters are OK, check for any parts or chunks of debris in the pan.
4. If pan is clean and all looks good, button it back up and refill (should take about 7 quarts). Then find your transmission relay (should be in with the fuses, etc.). Disconnect the trans relay, then start it up and try Drive and Reverse. It will be in limp-in, so you should get a harsher engagement than normal. Don't try to drive it, just see if the engagements are any different. If the engagements now seem OK, then you probably have a wiring problem (line pressure control solenoid circuit shorted to ground). If the engagements are unchanged (still mush), then you probably have a stuck main regulator valve, which is inside the pump and requires trans removal to fix.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 RAM 4.7
Trim Level: SLT LONE STAR
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
eddysald is on a distinguished road

ok thanks ill go and check it out... i think i might have to drop the pan since my fluid level is ok....

Last edited by eddysald; 01-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.