DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
hobbithead is on a distinguished road
Default Timing chain and guides. Help

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with 4.7 engine, 150,000 miles. Was told by mechanic that I had a blown head gasket. While starting the removal of the guides, of course the primary tensioner guide broke from being brittle. While thinking about what to do next, I noticed my problem was not the head gasket, but a rocker arm had fallen off. If I had noticed that first, no timing chain removal would had been necessary. Oh well, at least I don't have to take the heads off. I got all new timing chains and guides and started the work. My problem is with the secondary chain guide that the tensioner loads. It uses one torx head shoulder screw that has no head but stops somehow at the correct depth. The screws work fine with one of the new guides, but falls completely through guide hole on the other. Same with the old guides, one holds the screw and the other will let either of the screws fall completely through. I bought new screws from Dodge and same thing happens. Has anyone had this problem or know what's going on? Seems to me the guide could possibly fall off if the screw slips all the way through. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

First of all, you DO need to pull the head: a rocker that's kicked out indicates a sticking valve and it's going to happen again unless you repair the root cause. I would recommend pulling both heads and having a machine shop go through them since you have 150k on the clock. As for the guides, once everything is in position and tension is applied to the chains, everything should be fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That's not what I wanted to hear, but I know you are right. That's what I've been debating to do since I was that far inside the engine. I'm in no hurry or need, for the truck, so I might as well go get started.
I see you are from east TN. I just got back from a job in Church Hill, ACG glass. Loved it up there.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

RamTech, Pulled heads off today, and good thing. Blown head gasket and one valve seat coming out. Machine shop will let me know Monday what shape they are in and cost to rebuild them. He said the normal rebuild was around $250 for the set. That's checking for any warpage cracks and the rebuild. I've already ordered gaskets and new head bolts from RockAuto so maybe things will all arrive around the same time.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Got my heads back today. $320 to plane both heads, replace bad seat and valve, and rebuild heads. Going to go ahead and replace water pump and fan clutch, flush radiator, all new gaskets, and anything else that needs it. So far, around $550 in parts, labor, and a few new tools I told wife I REALLY needed to do this job. Now to get started putting it all back together. Will post more as I progress.