DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The Mopar camera works with the radios with touch screens, RHR, RER, RHB, RBZ, & REN

You can have a backup with the RES radio too, it would use the left half of the special rear view mirror. I don't know where you get the power from, i don't think it is the radio

Some of the Jeep models, (they use the same radios as the Ram), have grid lines, i have not looked at any Jeeps to see where the camera mounts

2009 & newer radios use the high speed bus system

The 2013 radios are a new beast & with them, not much is yet known
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
You can have a backup with the RES radio too, it would use the left half of the special rear view mirror. I don't know where you get the power from, i don't think it is the radio
What is this special rear view mirror you speak of?

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Highlandchief, i believe this video answers your question, it even shows how to install it

this video pretty much shows the how to install the Mopar camera, except you would run the wiring to the radio, instead of the mirror

Jeep parkview camera with grid lines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=cgDnz1wiDaI

Mopar parkview camera
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOPAR-DO...-/120863442702

2013 Ram Park View camera also has grid lines, may fit earlier Rams
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:119
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

i was in this situation a couple of months ago, to buy factory (which is the way i wanted to go but more $$$) or aftermarket. after looking around for a couple of weeks came across a factory chrysler t&c touch screen that would work with my RAM and went with the factory tailgate camera both of which i got off ebay. took to my dealership for install. i am very pleased with the quality of camera, the clean look, the view and angle you get is perfect plus the distance lines are great. it maybe a little more but it is worth the extra $$$ to me.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Another vote here for the factory camera. Also while you are adding it, I highly recommend installing the power tailgate lock kit. You can run the wires together up to the front at the same time. Your gate will then lock and unlock with your doors.

My dealer charged about $30 to activate the camera after the install. It really doesn't take them long, 1/2 hr tops.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:119
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

topgun is right, if you can go on and do both I wanted to do both but had the camera and radio installed a couple of weeks before Christmas and got the power tailgate lock for Christmas but since I didn't have to pay for the tailgate lock it wasn't to bad paying for install on it I guess.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: bright white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
geowar is on a distinguished road

I have the same radio(430N-RHB). And was told I'd have to replace it for the Backup camera to work. You say it does. Awsome! Anybody else install the camera with the radio that we're told is incompatible?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Suscipio Non Fundo

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport QC
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Harmicky is on a distinguished road

I will add to the votes for the factory camera. That thing is fantastic! Only wish it had the lines, but no big loss.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
CherryRedHemi is on a distinguished road

Well I'm going to be different and vote for aftermarket camera. I looked into the oem camera but after figuring the cost of it decided it would be cheaper to upgrade my headunit & go aftermarket on the camera. I ended up selling my stock 430 headunit and broke even with my new Pioneer headunit. The only cost I have in the aftermarket camera & installation accessories is about $70. I mounted a BOYO VTK350 camera in same position on the tailgate handle as the oem camera, same as Ransram above. Picture quality is good and haven't had any problems for over a year now(had another BOYO camera on my 05' Ram for 3+ years w/no problems as well).

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: BLACK
Rep:9
PeterGriffin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an RHB radio and added the MOPAR tailgate rear view camera to it no problem...

The only issue was when it came time to have the dealer flash the computer to enable it. I bought it off eBay from a legit Dodge dealer and had it installed by the shop that was doing my stereo build, so obviously they're a little butthurt that they didn't get to charge me full boat for the camera kit and gouge me on the install...

When I tried talking to the service writer about what I needed them to do I could have sworn that they thought I was speaking another language. After two separate phone calls and being told that she would have to talk to the tech first before setting up the appointment and never calling me back, I went elsewhere...

The other dealer (who was actually closer to me) was almost equally clueless until they got a tech on the phone on the spot and completely understood what I needed. I was a little chapped that they wanted $94 to do it though, but since I asked them to align my headlights (that just got HID upgrades in) and they did that while they were at it for no charge, I was pretty happy.

You need to make sure you have your installation disc when you have them flash it though. The way it was explained to me is that has a code which allows them to add it to your vehicle's VIN and build sheet and be covered under the warranty. I thought that made the $94 worth it too.

My previous ride (Ford F250) was a loaded monster diesel which included a rear view camera which really spoiled me. With the high headrests in my truck I cringed everytime I put my new truck in reverse. It's a must. I do wish I knew about the electronic tailgate lock...I would have done that too while I was at it...!
MOPAR trailer brake controller,rubber floor mats & rear view camera*tint*Plastidipped wheels*K&N drop-in*180 thermostat*debadged*running boards DELETED*Front Speakers:Quantum Audio 6-inch*Rear Speakers:Pioneer 6x9*Alpine 4-channel amp*Kenwood Sub amp*Sub:2/10-inch Rockford Fosgate*high/low/fog HIDs