DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: slt big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
mattman13 is on a distinguished road

I should know next week. I've found a few diesels I'm interested in. If it's gonna get me in over my head more than the cost of a ripp supercharger and a 6" lift installed. Im just gonna keep it. lol At least a year or so till I got a hefty down payment again.
I would love some videos of your truck just to show the drive ability with a stock truck with 37s on it. I've been researching and considering I have my 35s on stock rims that could be another ding to my mileage as the stock rims are pretty heavy. I'm looking at doing a 24lb 17" rim with a 91lb 37 toyo mt of course. Trying to tuck in my rotating mass with the smaller rims.

SPONSORED BY: bULLY'S pERFORMANCE
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Yea youre never gonna get thay mpg. Last weekend I did 1900 miles on I95 and I85. The way down there running cruise on 82 our best tank was 14, the other was mid 13. On the way back with bumpers we stayed about 12 every tank. Thats with 4.56s and 37s with all my mods and running the 87 diablo tune. If you could keep the mph down itd be different. At 65mph on our last leg we kept right about 15mpg with cruise on 65.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman13 View Post
Ram 725 do you have 3.55?
Quote:
Yes, but this is something that could be corrected if gear sets were available for our trucks. But no. We have to do an axle swap in the front and machine work to the rear to get them in a 2012. I intend on getting rid of my truck and getting back in a diesel. My last truck would do 19mpg with 35s doing 80 on the highway.
This is where you are correct but not correct at the same time.
Yes, there are no gears for the 12s, but you can certainly find a way to get gears swapped in.
I have a 12 and have had my gears done (4.56) since early August. Probably the first 12 to get this done

This is no way directly directed to you Mattman13.

Yes we all expected gas to take a dip but not to the extent of what each of you and I were getting.
For those who say to suck it up, that's easier said than done. You say that cause you haven't lifted your truck or have and just in denial, but you all know it sucks massive donkey dick (candy08 )

Regardless, GEARS ARE DOABLE!

My MPGs didn't increase that much better, I got 1-2 gallons more at best as the truck still has wind resistance. But performance was back
I have played with ALL factors (lowered my truck, played with different tires) in a way to get better MPGs, have a lifted truck and to still have performace if not better performance than when I was at stock.

Presently I'm on a 6" lift with Bilsteins at 1.4 and I am now running 35" ATs for winter. My MPGs are better than when I was at stock.
I've never seen 16-17 MPGs (i avg 15.5) before and I am seeing those numbers now. I also haven't taken the truck that far of a distance to see how much better it gets.
My truck is still lifted and hauls ass (due to my effective gear ratio being 4.27 (4.56 and 35's))
Tuner helped out as well!

My only gripe with these 35's and 4.56 is my RPM at 70-75 is 2100-2200 and my exhaust now buzzes in my ear. I have a 22" Maggie so it's very bearable, but this was not the case when my RPMs were lower.
Ill be moving back to 37's once my next mod gets installed.

The short of what I'm saying is, gears ARE doable for a 12, you just need to speak to the right guys and look to pay more than normal ($500-$1000 more)
There is a difference between AT and MT tires and 35's vs 37's and what they do for you driving wise. There is also an impact to height you lift your truck too!
So UNDERSTAND what you want to do (daily driver, weekend vehicle, what ever) with your truck and choose the right setup for you.

You want 37's with a 8-9" lift and 3.55, be ready to have a truck that sucks balls for gas and off the line pull. If you're already complaining about gas, DO NOT bother towing anything heavy otherwise you'll shoot yourself.

This topic is beaten to death all day and all year long.
Most just assume they want a lifted truck because it looks badass not understanding the consequences that follow. This was me!!!
Then we see these type of threads all the time.

But let me tell you, I've spent the money to correct this for myself and I am now fully satisfied if not extremely pleased with driving my truck as a DD and driving it how I want to with a smile

Know what you're getting yourself into before lifting
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
I should know next week. I've found a few diesels I'm interested in. If it's gonna get me in over my head more than the cost of a ripp supercharger and a 6" lift installed. Im just gonna keep it. lol At least a year or so till I got a hefty down payment again.
I would love some videos of your truck just to show the drive ability with a stock truck with 37s on it. I've been researching and considering I have my 35s on stock rims that could be another ding to my mileage as the stock rims are pretty heavy. I'm looking at doing a 24lb 17" rim with a 91lb 37 toyo mt of course. Trying to tuck in my rotating mass with the smaller rims.
The RIPP charger will help greatly. As will a custom dyno tune. As will gears

Stock wheels weight 75lbs. The closer you stay to that weight and the closer you get to stock height, the better your MPG's will be.

If you get the SC, I doubt you'll trade your truck in, unless you REALLY find the need for diesel
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy08 View Post
Yea youre never gonna get thay mpg. Last weekend I did 1900 miles on I95 and I85. The way down there running cruise on 82 our best tank was 14, the other was mid 13. On the way back with bumpers we stayed about 12 every tank. Thats with 4.56s and 37s with all my mods and running the 87 diablo tune. If you could keep the mph down itd be different. At 65mph on our last leg we kept right about 15mpg with cruise on 65.
What Candy ^^^ said
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

agree with all of the above.... my truck isnt great on gas but with a 10'' lift and 37s i still do just as good as all my buddies in fuel with their stock trucks (chevs fords)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
bighammer is on a distinguished road

got to buy a programmer or a tuner
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
got to buy a programmer or a tuner
Buy a tuner that can program
let me know if you need one
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram 1500 Big horn
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:49
bknife is on a distinguished road

So My MPG was bout 16-18 stock and when I put my bilsteins to 2.8 and 1.25 body lift on its now to 14.5 if Im lucky does this sound right? Im not sure why the big drop if you guys are getting what I am with big tires and lifts..
[SIGPIC] 20x10 -24mm Fuel Throttles w/ 35x12.50R20 Federals, 1.25 RCX body lift, Bilsteins adj. max 2.8, TGC 1 inch rear coil spacer, Spyder smoke LED tail lights, Recon 3rd LED tail light, Bone Collector weather front floor mats and rear window sticker