DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The new newer Ram Express only has the single connector also

you may find all the info by doing some reading

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1280&bih=687
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

OK...here's Netman66's post on the factory brake controller and on how to wire in the controller on a 4th Gen with only the single 4-pin connector. A fellow named "ken99" came up with the relatively simple DIY wiring deal that lets you use the factory controller when your truck has just one connector. I think ken99's tutorial starts somewhere on page 2,3, or 4. This is a huge thread, and if you want to know just about everything about the factory controller, go here.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52410

This thread is in the "Dodge Knowledge Base" or something similar, when it should really be a sticky in this "Towing" section for Gen 4 trucks. As pointed out by GTY, either all or many Express level trucks don't have the 2 connectors. It may also be an issue of whether the truck has EVIC or not. My '12 Express without EVIC does not have both connectors.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Snow White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
clatla is on a distinguished road
Default Dash bezel

My factory controller died so I am installing an aftermarket one. If any of you that installed the Dodge controller and still have the dash piece that you had to take out let me know. I need the tan color. Shoot me a PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Maybe I'm misreading you here, but my understanding on using the factory controller is that you must have the 2 separate plug connectors in the factory wiring harness or use the "go-around" by wiring in the wires in all 1500 pickup's wiring harnesses to make it work as outlined in Netman66's post on this issue. All Ram 1500 trucks do not have the 2 separate plugs required by the factory controller even if they have the trailer/tow package. They do, however, have the standard 4-pin connector for an aftermarket controller.
Correct, that is what I was referring to, sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:11
Kman521 is on a distinguished road

FYI
The 2013 SLT does have the two connectors but even though the 4 pin physical connector is the same the wiring is not the same as 2012 and older.
A few of us with 2013's have confirmed this by metering out the pins.

Keith
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman521 View Post
FYI
The 2013 SLT does have the two connectors but even though the 4 pin physical connector is the same the wiring is not the same as 2012 and older.
A few of us with 2013's have confirmed this by metering out the pins.

Keith
Kman, are you saying that the newer trucks don't have a 4-pin connector for adding a standard aftermarket controller? That would be fairly strange, but then I haven't looked at a '13.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Kman, are you saying that the newer trucks don't have a 4-pin connector for adding a standard aftermarket controller? That would be fairly strange, but then I haven't looked at a '13.
My 2013 SLT was ordered with the hitch but no brake controller.
I do have the two plugs under the dash. The 4 pin plug is there but not wired the same as the earlier trucks. The one pink wire that is suppose to switch to 12 volts to trigger the trailer bake when you push the brake doesn't toggle. As soon as you turn the truck on that pink wire toggles to 12 volts regardless of the foot brake so it would put the trailer brakes on all the time.

Keith
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
Newtruckhigh is on a distinguished road

For what it is worth on the topic, I almost bought a 13 laramie last week that did not have the brake assist factory option, which is $250. When I inquired to the dealership how much it would cost to get it added, they quoted me roughly $450 for the part and $150 for labor. Hence, about $600 for a $250 factory option. He did state that going aftermarket would probably be a cheaper option.

I ultimately did not buy this vehicle since it was missing a couple of other factory options that I wanted on my truck. In the end, I bought a truck that had options I did not want to spend money on to get options I did want.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtruckhigh View Post
For what it is worth on the topic, I almost bought a 13 laramie last week that did not have the brake assist factory option, which is $250. When I inquired to the dealership how much it would cost to get it added, they quoted me roughly $450 for the part and $150 for labor. Hence, about $600 for a $250 factory option. He did state that going aftermarket would probably be a cheaper option.

I ultimately did not buy this vehicle since it was missing a couple of other factory options that I wanted on my truck. In the end, I bought a truck that had options I did not want to spend money on to get options I did want.
I agree my first choice would have been to order a truck or find one with the controller but I bought a truck off a dealer lot without the option because the price was too good to turn down. List on the factory window sticker was $41,440 and I got that for $27,625 .

I'm having a local dealer install the factory controller and switch with the truck programming on Friday for $150 labor (1.5 hrs). The parts are costing me $176 for the controller and $56.50 for the dash switch panel.
Those are the prices in Canada, USA parts are usually cheaper.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Snow White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
clatla is on a distinguished road
Question Help!!!!

I just bought another factory controller form the dealership today as I had thought mine had malfunctioned. I installed it and plugged the trailer into the truck and same issue. The trailer brakes are making a faint clicking sound. About once or twice a second. I verified when the drums were off that the magnets were energizing and releasing. Thus the clicking noise. Can someone out there please hook up to their trailer and see if their truck does the same thing.
PLEASE!