DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Aerosol Tire Spray "Spraying" on fenders after applying and driving!?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  HOTRODHARLEY 
#1 · (Edited)
This issue is sucks as it's happened to me a few times after i've just washed and detailed my truck. Basically, anytime I use the Aerosol spray cans on the tires, once I drive, it slings up onto the fenders and even the doors..totally negating the detail I just spent a couple of hours on!

I figured maybe this stuff wasn't "setting in" so instead of spraying my tires FIRST after a wash, I figured i'd do them when I'm parked and didn't plan on going out anytime soon giving the spray time to fully set into the tires. Well, I did that, the truck even sat overnight and sure enough I drive to work and overspray all over my fenders, doors, wherever it shoots up to!

What's more crazy is this time I actually RUBBED THE TIRE SPRAY INTO THE TIRES WITH A MICROFIBER CLOTH and I DON'T SPRAY THE TREADS, so it's actually shooting up from the side walls of the tires i'm spraying.

I should also note the 2 products this has happened with are ALL MEGUIAR'S...HOT SHINE AEROSOL TIRE SPRAY AND NXT INSANE SHINE TIRE SPRAY as well as their ENDURANCE TIRE SPRAY.

I haven't used a FOAMING TIRE SPRAY in a long time but I don't remember the FOAMING TIRE SPRAYS doing this. I'm thinking it's a chemical in all those aerosol tire sprays which is causing the stuff to NOT SET into the tires, but you'd think Meguiar's of all companies wouldn't have an issue like this in ALL THEIR AEROSOL CANS.

Anyone else experience this and have any ideas of something to apply to the tires FIRST which may prep them to absorb more of these Meguiar's tire dressings?

See less See more
#2 ·
Two Things. Make sure your tires are dry before applying the tire shine and I recomend Turtle Wax products.

#3 ·
The severe tire shine products are only for show, they will spin off no matter what. For a good every day product, I've been very happy with the Mothers tire shine. It's not as shiney as the NXT I found, but it definately stays on for more than a drive down the road. I do use the hot shine spray bottle when I'm at a show, but it doesn't last.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to clarify that my tires were very dry when I applied those 2 Meguiar's Aerosols and the issue still occurred. On one occasion my truck sat OVERNIGHT after applying to dry tires and the sling was still very much present all over the sides when I drove the next morning..so I was like WTF.

Before using the Meguiar's sprays, I remember using some FOAMING SPRAYS I think by black magic and turtle wax and also used the Black Magic "TIRE WET" and never remember those sling issues occurring with either of those products. I will say the tires look good for about 7-10 days after I apply this stuff, vs. half the time with the other products that don't sling. I do have to say I love Meguiar's products but those aerosol sprays have to be the worst thing i've ever used. How can Meguiar's put their name on a product that doesn't fully SET INTO THE TIRES and that can sling onto a 6 hour wax job or even a still time consuming 90 min quicker detail? That is really crazy.

#16 ·
How can Meguiar's put their name on a product that doesn't fully SET INTO THE TIRES and that can sling onto a 6 hour wax job or even a still time consuming 90 min quicker detail? That is really crazy.
Megs has far superior products available than the dressing youre not happy with here...

Try Meguiars Hyper dressing, or Megs silicone free dressing. youre not going to find them in aerosol cans at Walmart, but they are more of the professional or detailing line of Megs products. You will be happier upgrading to the professional or detailers line of the products, but your going to have to likely acquire them from a detail supply shop, and not autozone type places.

#6 ·
i get this too if i dont give it enough time to dry or i apply too much but the stuff i really like is the black magic stuff that comes with the applicator pad its really good stuff as long as you give it enough time to dry and applied on a dry tire but i dont normally put tire shine on my tires because the roads here are way too dusty

#7 ·
I use Meguiars Hot Shine. But I spray it generously onto a rag in one spot. Then i wipe half a tire and re-apply it to the rag in the same spot and do the other half of the tire. This way it never sprays off onto the body. And I only let it sit for 15-30mins before driving to be sure. No issues.

#8 ·
I have this same issue and it is all aersol products. I'm a Maquire's fanboy too, they have great products and the tire shine looks amazing...when it's on the tire and not all over the side of my truck. My rig is black so, yeah, you can only imagine. I did think about putting in on a rag first and just wiping it on. I've used those kinds as well and they don't seem to have that issue. So....time to switch.

#9 ·
Just FYI, nearly all tire shine products cause the rubber to dry out and crack/dry rot. It only shortens the life of the tires and it's purely for looks. Personally I would rather not use it and have the tires last longer. You can still get the tires looking good with other products, I wipe mine down with water mixed with murphy's oil soap.

#11 ·
Damn right!

Also not ALL tire dressing wil degrade and dry rot tires. Oil based tire dressing is the BIGGEST culprit of this and ALL oil based tire dressing will, over time, show visible damage to a tire's sidewall.

Water based tire dressing does NOT have the 'bling' that oil based dressings do but will NOT cause any sidewall tire damage. Case in point is the finest tire dressing I have tried: Adam's Super VRT.

it's quite simply the finest available.

#13 ·
I have a car wash just around the corner
for $12 they vacuum the inside, hand scrub the grille, bumper, & wheels, run it through the machine, then clean the windows, inside & out, & use towels to completely dry everything off
For about $5 more, they use some tire shine & give the interior a quick wipe down

I don't know what the tire shine is, but it sure looks good, I don't know what they use, but seem to rub it into the rubber

#15 ·
get a water based product and apply with a tire applicator.

the sling is from the silicone based products...

PB bold and bright is a decent cheaper option, or you can look into Optimum Opti Bond tire Gel. Great product, but a little more pricey.

If your looking for something OTC available at most auto parts stores look in to Duragloss...again on the inexpensive side but an absolutely great product.

#17 · (Edited)
I've tried almost all the products listed in this thread. I still keep going back to Surf City Garage's Beyond Black Tire Pro. Best stuff that I've ever used. Looks semi-shiny when it's dry, doesn't sling, and lasts me for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or so. Even though they recommend spraying it on the tire directly, I prefer to spray it heavily on a rag and wipe the tires down with it. After a bit, I'll go back and buff them a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOsili-OE3A

#18 ·
Best products bar none... And the process...

1.) Wash and clean the tires with a quality degreaser like Castrol Superclean
2.) Dry tires with compressed air
3.) Apply "Griots Garage Rubber Prep" with a clean foam sponge applicator and let dry
4.) Apply "Chemical Guys Natural Shine Dressing" with another clean foam sponge applicator
5.) Enjoy the beautiful satin finish new tire look with no "slinging" or "tire rot"

I've also had good luck with "Mothers Reflections Advanced Tire Care" as well as "JAX WAX Super Blue Tire Dressing"

This is a tried and true process I came up with and trust me it works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.