DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dealer control of MDS

8K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rsg1963 
#1 ·
Hey all, I did due dilligence on search and found nothing on this; I asked my dealer to shut off MDS for me during a recent visit and they said "we can't because it will throw a code if we do, check engine light will come on and you won't pass smog, etc...". Later I thought to myself "how do the programs like Diablo and Superchip do it then, and why can't the dealership?" So does anyone have solid info to the contrary that I can present the dealership? Or experiences with a similar situation?

Side note: I personally do not like MDS, it saves zero MPG for our truck probably due to the tire size (hand calc proven over a years time now) and when it does (downhill) kick in for my wife, it's an annoying gargling sound that irks me. Also, I do not like shifting into 5th to shut it off because I lose 200 rpm's on the freeway when I do. Hence me wanting just 'off' permanently. :smileup:

#3 ·
If you want something like that, you would either have to
use an engine from a 2500 or 3500 which didn't have MDS, which is all of them
Then you would have to change out some sensors & maybe some other things

The cam & the heads are what enable MDS
MDS first year in a Dodge Ram was 2006, 2005 Rams did not have it

California Smog Laws are strict, they can fail you on just a visual inspection

#4 ·
I am afraid to say that with my experience over nearly 4 yrs and over 40,000 on the truck the MDS does make a difference to the milage. I have driven under various road conditions most of the roads I have driven many times with the MDS on and off.It may not be significant but there is a difference. I have driven these roads heavy footed and light footed. What makes a major difference is a light foot but also road surfaces which is never discussed.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks RamTech and GTyankee, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking the service dept just did not know.
Oh and Howdy BTW, it's been a while since I back and forthed with you two. Hope all is well.

So it's a programmer for me then.

And uktitus, there is not any calculatable MPG gain in our case. None. (We have over 50K on our truck now) Maybe a truck with smaller tires? But in our case MDS ONLY comes on downhill or in town at about 45 MPH. The sound is horrible and it's basically useless for us because of it's inability to engage at highway speed (90% of the time). In town MDS engaging is pointless due to it's extremely limited duration (stop lights every block to 1/4 mile). I completely agree with the comment driving style having the most to do with mileage.

This was not an MDS bash, if it works for most people, great. It's just in our case, it doesn't do anything but annoy.

Still love my tire selection though, even with an average of 13 MPG! :SHOCKED:
Possibly considering going to 305's when these wear out, but just possibly...

Have a great weekend all, and thanks for the info!

#8 ·
But in our case MDS ONLY comes on downhill or in town at about 45 MPH. The sound is horrible and it's basically useless for us because of it's inability to engage at highway speed (90% of the time).
That doesn't seem right that yours doesn't come on much on the highway. In the summer on flat interstate at 75mph my MDS still comes on as long as I'm not fighting any wind. With the winter blend gas that is in the pumps now it doesn't even come on at 70mph though. As for the sound I agree, but I just turn the radio up a bit. Can't here a thing then. I bought it new in April and I've got 23,000 miles on it now. I have an overall average of 14.21 mpg. Most of that is on interstate. My best tank was 18.31 and my worst was pulling my camper. I got 7.99 on that .

#7 ·
I like the programmer also but if you don't want to spend the money on one just put your truck in gear and push the shifter to the left so it egages autostick and MDS is off until you restart the truck or hold the shifter to the right and re-engage auto again.

#11 ·
Thanks rdsabin, I do that all the time because I have to. As in my OP, I do not want to do that since I lose about 200 RPM's on the highway when manually in 5th. Sigh... now to tweak for a few months on what tuner to buy.

#9 ·
Just get a tuner. When I had my 09 I shut off the MDS with a intune and the truck just felt better. Also I ended up getting better mpg with the 87 tune and MDS off. The MDS didn't seem to like my 305/55 coopers or even my 285/50 duratracs. Constantly on and off even on the highway. Plus the exhaust sounded much better with the magnaflow and no MDS. My 13 I just got doesn't make the weird noises like my 09 but I usually have it in 5th if I not on the highway. Soon as a tuner for the 13's comes out I am getting one so I can get ride of the MDS and get another magnaflow.

#10 ·
The only way a dealer can "shut off" MDS is by unplugging the MDS solenoids under the intake manifold. That will cause your Check Engine light to be on all the time for a circuit high code.

Personally I love MDS I wouldn't get rid of it, When I drive my R/T normally I can get a average MPG of between 15-17 which I think is pretty good for a V8 truck. Most of the time my live MPG reading is around 20-22 (not sure how accurate that is) When MDS is off my live MPG reading is around 13-15 mpg so yea...I like MDS.

As for MDS drone, I have one of those mufflex 14" muffler and I have zero drone. Yes my resonators are still on so that helps and no my truck is not as loud as I'd like but its a pretty good compromise for no drone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.