DODGE RAM FORUM banner

snrusnak mod thread

87K views 824 replies 45 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Well I finally decided to make my mod thread. This will most likely be very slow going, but it will be nice to be able to look back in a year or so when I have everything done. My whole goal is to have a really sharp, clean looking white/black/chrome truck with decent performance all low budget. Another thing I'm trying to do is to pretty much keep all stock items, so the truck could easily be converted back to stock. Obviously everything won't work this way...

My truck is a 2010 ram 1500 quad cab 4.7L 2wd, 3.55 open differential. I bought it used with about 38,000 miles and already put over 10,000 miles on it in about 7 months agh I drive waaay too much lol. I can't even blame it on work or anything, I just simply drive alot...

The wife and myself the day I brought it home(was around superbowl time, GO PGH):

First mod was my superchips flashpaq 3865. All I can say is WOW, I can't even drive it without the tune anymore, it's a whole new truck. I bought direct from superchips and it was about $360.00.

Second mod was replacing the bald stock goodyears with these stock size 265 70 17 cooper zeon ltz's mounted on some american racing 9.5" wide wheels. They are teflon coated, pretty unique in my opinion. My dad gave them to me for free as payment for some work(he bought them used of his lawn guy or something like that). I love these tires, and wasn't crazy about the wheels at first, but you can't beat free haha! They've grown on me and I really like them now, especially with the chrome lug nuts and center caps. Even with the free wheels these tires ended costing me about $1,100.00 with the labor and lug kit, ouch!:

Third mod was adding these black powder coated go rhino dominator II step bars on. I really like the way they tie in more black and the stainless step pads match the chrome. I think I paid about $340.00 or so for these:

Fourth mod was the airaid dry drop in filter and MIT tube. I really like the dry filter because it's easy maintenance, you just wash with water and dish soap, let dry, then re install. I picked up the filter and tube for about $150.00:

Fifth "mod" was fixing the water leak at my 3rd brake light:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87346&highlight=brake+light

Also installed a Curt class IV hitch, very heavy duty....it was the same price as the class III. Can kind of see it in this crappy pic:

That's all I have as of now I think, at least all I have that is completed. Currently sitting in my garage ready to install is the following:

-Extra set of rear RT springs I need to cut to lower the rear about 1.5" or so
-Magnaflow Y pipe
-2011 large mud spats

Future mods are:
-Ram air tube to feed the airbox
-Modified TB
-Replace all exhaust bends with mandrel, install Y pipe, and new 14" magnaflow muffler.
-4.10 or maybe 4.56 gearing with LSD
-Possibly a high stall aftermarket converter(Edge or similar)
-Possibly mechanical fan delete
-Possibly 180 degree tstat
-Front window tint to match rears
-B pillar tape removal
-Debadge partially(flexfuel badge and SLT badge only)
-Shorty headers if ever available
-Tint tail lights
-Tint amber turn signal lens in headlights
-Possibly paint bumpers and grill white to color match truck
-Possibly powdercoat the wheels to match more closely the stepbars
-Install the in cabin filter
-Do the rear seat fold down mod
-Linex
-Soft bed cover

I think that's about all for my plan. I know you guys will get frustrated that I'm modding so slow haha but I just have alot going on with work, our house, and I also have a hobby in motorcycles so my time gets spread out. Hope it stays enjoyable :)

See less See more
#631 ·
Well, I tamed the dragon(again) :) This trip is too much fun...

I ran it in the truck just for shits and giggles lol:

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UX010331&po=331&pc=2271

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UX010332&po=332&pc=2271

Then in the bike a million times:

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UW060354&po=354&pc=1499

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UX050175&po=175&pc=391

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UY0E0965&po=965&pc=2124

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01UY0E0969&po=969&pc=2124

http://xtremesportsphotography.phot...erpage.aspx?pi=0QAK01CR074708&po=4708&pc=4984

http://store.129slayer.com/large_thumbs/thumb_1366501854DAVE1178.JPG

Sorry for links but I haven't actually purchased any yet. All in all I rode pretty conservatively due to the fact that my two friends that rode up with me both wrecked at the beginning. One guy earned the name "flipper" as his bike is the only one that I've watched go flipping off a cliff right in front of me(which is pretty cool to watch when it's not yours, actually) lol.

They are both fine, not even really scraped up or anything hardly at all. Both bikes are basically fine too.

The truck pulled good, it was a decent load for the truck in the mountains but was never low on power. Sagged a bit due to the lower springs, but was fine. I was too lazy to swap back to the stock springs. I got an avg of just over 12mpg holding about 65-75mph the whole way.

We already booked a room for next year :)

#634 ·
what's funny is that in those corners it looks like I'm going about 50mph but I'm really only going like 15mph lol. It's hard to throw a huge truck through the corners. I got passed in a corner by a Honda CRV soccer mom haha. In my defense, we had coolers of beer in the bed that we didn't want to spill :)

#636 ·
So back on topic (ish)....

I think I'll be making long tube headers for my truck next along with the ram air scoop that I've been talking about forever. Maybe reverse order... The scoop is dependant on my friend since he has the TIG so whenever that happens it happens.

I'm also wanting to put LED lights in the brake lights. I just have limited knowledge on this so need to do some research...

In line with that I'm wanting to make an integrated turn signal LED tail light for the buell. I'll also be doing the muffler soon on the buell and ceramic the entire exhaust black.

#639 ·
As long as it's a Sunday lol I'm trying to
A. Take off the cats and hallow them out to a straight through design, turn off rear O2's
B. Remove muffler, and weld in a piece of straight pipe in place, as well as my Magnaflow Y Pipe to replace that stock pinched POS lol buy all the LED's you want I'll install those, I have 2 18" bars that I need to install behind the grille as well.

Back when I tried removing the cats the first time (pipe wouldn't break free from the muffler) I started the truck up running just shorties and my god did I fall in love with that sound lol S now I'm trying to make the whole system as straight through as possible

#642 ·
I bought an airlift kit a couple days ago and it showed up today. I'm excited to install it this weekend! I can keep my lowered rear look and get rid of the squat when towing. The kit was very affordable, seems really high quality, lifetime warranty, and so far the reps have been extremely helpful. One guy even emailed me pictures of his personal ram with the same kit, to show different ride heights unloaded, loaded, etc.

I didn't want to get an on board air compressor because of the cost and reliability aspect of it. I would like to get just an air storage tank that I can mount under the bed and fill while on a trip towing or something like that. Does anyone know where I can get a small tank like that? I've been searching but not having much luck finding something small and affordable.

#645 ·
I'm in the Land of "Eh" at the moment lol Took a road trip up north to deliver my parents dogs in New Foundland. Nova Scotia is awesome, and my truck is filthy lol Need to get some truck pics while I'm up here though. Right now the front end is covered in bugs and the rest is just dirty like your truck normally is after a couple months :LOL:

#648 ·
I've been wanting toget one but been doing maintenance lately with this long ass commute I've been having

#650 ·
LOL you know what's funny Steven is I viewed that pic on my phone and your truck looked spotless. Now viewing on the computer I see the bugs. You're letting yourself go man.....it's just not like you to have a dirty truck...you're starting to look like, ME

icy, you've been wanting to get what?

#651 ·
The air lift kit but blew my head gasket so there goes that cash

#652 ·
Oh gotcha. That sucks, hopefully you get it fixed right up. The airlift kit is only $89, I thought that was pretty reasonable.

I'll post some feedback when done installing. I need to figure out where to mount the air line fitting. And find an air tank I can mount under there too.

#656 ·
At one point I think I even told myself "I'm not sure if Sean would let this happen to his truck"
LOL

I've been to vancouver and I agree the people up there are way nicer than in the states. Funny story, my brother was telling us how nice people were while we were getting fitted for tux's for his wedding in vancouver and how people in canada never swear, etc, etc, and we walk out into the parking lot right after and there's a guy in the parking lot losing his sh*t kicking his car, slamming his door, and using just about every cuss word I've ever heard(I think he might have made some new ones up, too). It was pretty ironic lol.

Andrew I intend to mount the air line fitting next to the license plate, in the plastic, here:

I think I may have recieved the incorrect kit, I'm going to have to talk to their customer support. The springs won't fit(too long) once the vehicle weight has compressed the springs. Here's a pic(unloaded, obviously lol). And next to the stock spring. Not sure if ever posted pics of the stock vs cut RT springs:

#657 ·
Yeah it will waiting on my cosmetic head gaskets to come in so prob. end of next week I'll tear it down.
I found a good deal on some headers so I'll be putting them on at the same time

89 bucks not bad you have a pic of the kit

#658 ·
Awesome icy, I wish they made headers for the 08+ 4.7L!!!!

Yeah what I posted above is essentially it minus the air lines and fittings. Once I figure out if I got the right kit, or whatever the problem is, I'll post more pictures.

#664 ·
^long actually, not short. Once the weight of the vehicle is on the springs they won't fit. It may be correct, I was just under the impression the air springs were supposed to be "unloaded", or "unsquished" at normal ride height/when unloaded. Doesn't seem like these will be that way. They are about an inch or two too long for that. Might be correct though, I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.