DODGE RAM FORUM banner

raptor liner questions, any experience?

6K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigred74 
#1 ·
ok so i started with a herculiner (total waste of $100 and a weekend) and it looked good for about 2 weeks then faded, and in about 6 mos it started to peel and the bed is starting with surface rust.:doh: I was wondering if anyone has any experience with raptor liner. the price is good for a family man with a DIY attitude and a budget. another thing, if i were to enrust the bed THEN raptor line it would it stick? and another thought, if durability were a concern would raptor liner stick to fiberglass resin. i figure i could put a coat of fiberglass resin, maybe even some woven roven on the floor and coat the walls with just the resin for durability.:thk: i have enrust and access to fiberglassing materials, i just dont like how slick fiberglass is on a bed.

#3 ·
i went with dupont's "bed armour" do it yourself spray in/paint bed liner with kevelar.

it is latex based,can be cleaned up with water while it is still wet.

it is rubberized and has kevelar mixed in it,and it doesn't fade,chip,peel,and gas,oil

resistant.

it was 84.00 at advance auto parts or 100.00 at auto zone.

you can also use it as undercoating.

mine has been in the truck bed for 3 month's and looks as good now as when i first

put it in.

#4 ·
hmm not sure about raptor liner. ive used the autozone brand before and wasnt really pleased with it... it didnt go on very thick and was like a sandpaper finish so it was hard to keep clean in my opinion.

This summer i wanted to spray my entire truck in bedliner cause my clear coat was peeling like most 2nd gen dodges nowadays. i almost tryed raptor but went a diff route so cant say anything on that brand.

I ended up going with scorpion protective coatings cause they offer it in 16 diff colors and i didnt want my entire truck to be black. so bought 4 gal of red and two gal of black to do the outside of my truck plus their spray gun. goes on nice and thick and with the gun you can adjust air pressure for different textures. its more of a hard rubberized surface but im pleased with it so far. the company also guarantees it for life vs fading, cracking, and peeling so thats a plus in my book :smileup: il post a pic of it from last week, i sprayed it in july and the red hasnt faded one bit

Hope this helps ya, let me know if you have any other questions and il see what i can do

#5 ·
when i get some more free time il try to upload all the pics from when i sprayed it and create a thread on it

#6 ·
i was able to get in touch with tcpglobal.com where i was going to purchase the kit from and they pointed me in the direction of a product called SEM Rust Shield. The stuff is almost $60 a quart but should work then i can spray on the liner. That bed armor did get my attention too. i wonder if you can get a free sample swatch of the products. just a 2"x2" square of the product to show the feel and texture. i know you could get that from rhino lining at the shop where they do it.

#7 ·
If you're looking for super durability, you're not going to get it with any DIY products. If you want durability, you'll have to go with LINE-X or similar. All of the DIY products are basically solvent based moisture cure polyurethanes, some have rubber bits in it, some don't, some you can spray, most you have to roll, some are more UV stable, others are not.

Here are some pics:

ProTex

Al's Liner (retail packaged Scorpian)

BedArmor

Herculiner

#8 ·
thanks for the pics. i understand the DIY wont be as durable as the other commercial liners. i just dont have the cash to shell out at once to line the bed. im fine with having to touch it up every once in a while as i am not always hauling stuff. just when i do i want a little more protection. ill prolly get a bed mat also. its that right now my truck bed looks like a freakin disaster area as does any one that sees use lol.

#9 ·
I think it really comes down to how you use it. As has been said, if you mainly haul stuff like I do...garbage, bikes, trips to Lowes, camping gear, etc....then a good quality DIY liner should be fine. If you are hauling heavy, abrasive items like stuff bound to pallets, engines or engine parts, obviously loose rocks or gravel, etc...none of the DIY liners are likely to hold up too long.

My father-in-law is a body man and has sprayed Raptor liner into several trucks always with good results. He has sold most of the trucks fairly soon after but from what I have seen it has resisted fading very well. I intend to get him to do mine and I am considering having it mixed to a silver/gray color. This will somewhat match my silver truck and also should resist fading better than black. I also have a thick rubber mat in the floor of my bed which should help tremendously with anything heavy or abrasive that might eventually end up in there. Good luck!

#10 ·
I went with the dupli-color bed armour. The key to it is like any other paint/body work... Prep! They give you a scuff pad but that's not gonna cut it, went with 1000 grit sandpaper to get through the clear coat. If you start seeing color in your sand paper you're going too deep. After one year and loads of dirt, rock, mulch, quickrete and landscaping stones I put another coat in this summer and it's holding up great. The only tricky spots are the raises on the tailgate that you can catch with a shovel. Keep a can of spray on hand and just touch that up. Got the kit from jegs $85 and the extra can $35 from autozone. Not as strong as linex but for the price I'm happy. The best part is when you do the touch up there's no prepping. Just rinse and dry real good. I do have a bed cover so the fading isn't a big issue for me it there were any. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
I have one spot where the tailgate closes that got chipped on me and i called up scorpion and they had me send them a pic of it. now they are sending me 2 free gallons of the stuff to fix that small spot and put another coat on the whole truck so it will look good. plus i mentioned that i needed a gal to spray my fender flares and they offered me a 3rd gal at half price. regular price is $150 for a two gal kit or $100 for 1 gal. so its about the same price as the autozone stuff but if this stuff ever scratches they send you free product to fix it... cant beat there costumer service, ive been very pleased with them so far

in my opinion its the best choice for diy liners since they actually back their product, just my 2 cents tho

#13 ·
i will be properly preparing the surface before i spray again...

#15 ·
here is their website: http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/

Ask for Jim, he is who i talked to everytime. really nice guy, even gave me his cell number to call or text him with any questions about the application process

let me know if u have any more questions. interested in which way you go with this :smileup:

#18 ·
idk im a pretty big guy, use to bench 360, and the samples i have i could not tear and i even tryed scratching them with keys and tryed to puncture them with a key to no avail. but it never hurts to ask for samples, they will send them to you for free. have you checked into getting samples from raptor? id try to get samples from both company's and go from there

#19 ·
it is rubbery tho... so just depends on what ur looking for. they say it has a hardness factor of 85 i believe which they told me is about equivalent to the sidewall rubber in a tire.

#20 ·
check out your local autozone or discount auto parts store
i bought dupont's bed armour bedliner kit.
it is latex based and has a rubberized finish with chunks of kevelar in it.
it is easy to either spray in or it comes with a paint brush and small roller.
you can wipe it off painted area's while wet,but when it dries it sets up like concrete.
it is fuel,oil,and chip resistant
the base kit is 1 gallon,which will cover a ram 1500,a ram 2500/3500 will need 1 extra quart.
i did my bedliner in about 2 hours after a quick power sander once over to make sure everything was ready to go and the bed was clean and ready for painting
it was around $100.00 and well worth it to me as i was leaning towards a line -X spray in liner at $500.00.
i got the same result's and saved $400.00.
and the bed armour kit doesn't fade

#21 · (Edited)
i did my bedliner in about 2 hours after a quick power sander once over to make sure everything was ready to go and the bed was clean and ready for painting
it was around $100.00 and well worth it to me as i was leaning towards a line -X spray in liner at $500.00.
i got the same result's and saved $400.00.
and the bed armour kit doesn't fade
Actually, no. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're happy with the result. But, LINE-X is going to be way thicker and way stronger. LINE-X installs about 8 gallons of solvent free product, you installed 1/2 gallon of actual bedliner product. (Most DIY products are about 50% solvent by volume.)

The durometer hardness for Scorpian is shore A 88 which is pretty soft. To compare, the old Rhino Tuff Stuff (low pressure polyurethane) is shore A 92.5, LINE-X is shore D 45. The way it works is the hardness scale is 1 to 100, soft to hard. Shore D is a scale for harder material, shore A is for softer material.

#22 ·
a lot to think about now fellas lol. i do believe i will ask the companies for samples. the worst they can do is tell me no. then i will go from there. cool deal guys. prolly will be a little while before i can do this. lot of family things going on at the second. barely have time to think, which sometimes can be a good thing lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.