DODGE RAM FORUM banner

In the market for a 2009 Ram 1500 - 4.7L? 5.7L?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Lie2me 
#1 ·
I am in the market to sell my Wrangler and pickup a used 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I am finding the 4.7L models to be more in my price range over the Hemi equipped. I am looking for some real world information between these two engines.

What kind of milage are you getting out of your truck?
Have you towed with it? How much? How would you rate it's capabilities?

I will, rarely, tow a 3400lb car on a trailer through north Texas (not much for hills). I want to make sure that whichever I do get, will pull that without stretching the trucks limits too far.

Any other comments on what to have/avoid/etc on a 2009 are welcome! I am looking to know the in's and out's of what I should want to have in a new-to-me Ram.:smileup:

#2 ·
Are you on ranger-forums? your user name looks familiar I used to post over there as Liftedgreen4x4.. I don't have an 09+ hemi but my buddy's dad has one and he's getting 18 city. hope that helps.

#5 ·
I, just 1-month ago, bought my 2009 RAM 1500 w/HEMI.
I also own a 2004 Dodge Durango equipped with the 4.7L.
I can honestly say that the mileage is about the same between the 2 engines.
We've taken two trips in the RAM and I saw anywhere from 18.5 to 20.5
I've not yet pulled anything with my RAM but from the aspect of sufficient power, I'm not concerned.
I have towed with my Durango and wasn't impressed with its power. It would rarely allow itself to shift into OD.

#7 ·
5.7 vs 4.7

We have 2 of each vehicle all are quad cab, all came with limited slip rear and factory tow package all 4 are 2009

all trucks have appx 37k on them

4.7 we average 14 to 17 city depending on the driver highway 18 to 23

5.7 we average 11 to 14 city same drivers, 17 to 20 highway

the mds is fairly useless unless you are on level roads highway speeds and we had to have plugs, not all, replaced on both 5.7s they were fouled and i suspect the mds and lack of firing some plugs at times may be the problem

the 4.7 pulling the trailers we ahve from 2500 to 4100 all pull with no problem, of course the hemis are better for the heavier loads, but for the mileage we do much better with 4.7s. We are in ny state where there are a few big hills to pull up and the 4.7 has had no problems.

Only mods on all 4 are k&n drop ins
on another note the hemis have been in and out for a lot of pain in the butt things engine wise and the 4.7 only routine maintainance.

Bottom line if you want to be faster than others do the 5.7, if you want better mileage go with 4.7

just our opinions

richie, matt, d.w and mike aquatic construction

#8 ·
I'm happy with my 4.7L, it really has more than enough power for daily driving and having some fun. It will also tow your 4000lb with no hesitation. The 5.7 is just even more power and mainly for extremely heavy towing. I wouldn't hesitate to tow 8,000lb with my 4.7L (although at that weight I'd probably wish I had the hemi). I also have the superchips on mine which really makes a whole world of difference. When stock I was averaging in the 16's for gas mileage and now with superchips I average in the 17's, but if I go all highway and keep it at 70mph I get above 20mpg (got 22.5 this weekend on a 4 hour trip). I'd say if you want the hemi, look for it, but don't let it be a deal breaker, the 4.7 is a great engine and sounds like it'd fit your needs.

#10 ·
what ever you decide, i would think hard about getting the 3.92 rear end with LSD
first time you get in the sand, mud, or snow, you will know why

#16 ·
Do certain 4.7l trucks come with the lower axle ratio? Is it only with a factory tow package maybe?
Standard was 3.55. 3.21 and 3.92 were options. Majority of the trucks will have 3.55. 4.10 and 4.56 I don't believe you could get from the factory, unless you get an RT then it has 4.10.

#18 ·
Ive had my 09 ram crew cab with the hemi for about 9 months now. When I was going stop light to stop light traffic I got 12 mpg now that Im getting stuck in this metroplex traffic daily here in DFW Im averaging 16mpg because there is highway mixed in. My last road trip from Bedford to Austin I got 20.1mpg. I test drove the 4.7, but found my fully loaded hemi for the same price as the non loaded 4.7 and the hemi had less miles. Keep your eyes open and you can find a good deal on a hemi if you really want it.

#20 ·
I own a 09 dodge ram with several issues, I will be going back to ford had no problems like this with ford....but you never know. good luck
Everybody has different experiences with different manufacturers. Some hate ford, some chevy, some dodge, etc... This is the only dodge I've owned, and although it's not the best vehicle I've had, it's probably second, I got alot for the money, and it runs great and is reliable. The best I had was a 1997 s10, ran for 220,000 miles, with practically no repairs other than regular maintenance, and sold it running great. Even the couple times it broke down, I was able to limp it home and fix in my driveway. Only time I had to have it towed was when someone ran me off the road and I hit a curb and broke a wheel bearing and hub. My family used to buy a mix of fords and chevys, we always had trouble with ford, we basically only buy chevy now, always got alot of car for the money. The recent trucks we've bought have all been rams because they are the best for the money, and we've all loved them (been 5 in the family) and haven't really had any issues. When my wife gets a new suv in a few years we may look at dodge as chevy's have been getting more and more expensive. My opinion from just observing other people is that ford and toyota have the most issues in general, after that it's all basically by chance on what's going to happen...

#22 ·
What kind of milage are you getting out of your truck?
Have you towed with it? How much? How would you rate it's capabilities?

I will, rarely, tow a 3400lb car on a trailer through north Texas (not much for hills). I want to make sure that whichever I do get, will pull that without stretching the trucks limits too far.

Any other comments on what to have/avoid/etc on a 2009 are welcome! I am looking to know the in's and out's of what I should want to have in a new-to-me Ram.
Hands down...Hemi. The 4.7 is a very competent motor, but the Hemi with the mds will give you better mileage overall. It will not have to work as hard as the 4.7...regardless of what you are towing. After owning a 2010 rc 4.7 and the 2011 hemi CC....I would never go back to a 4.7. For the record, the 4.7 did everything I asked, and did it well. You can find a good deal on a hemi equipped truck if you are patient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.