DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 Ram Big Horn with Leer 100XR - PICS

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BobS 
#1 ·
I know caps are kind of out of fashion. I'm a dinosaur, so don't bust my chops. This post is for the campin'/fishin'/ huntin' old school boys who couldn't imagine not having one.

When shopping for my "topper" (as we call them in Minnesota), I found it kinda tough to get my hands on good photos of the Ram 1500 with the models in which I had interest. Therefore, now that I got one I figured I should do my duty and post some pics.

I had a 100XQ for ten years on my 2002 Dakota, and it served me well. But my brother recently turned me on to the idea of "windoors", or flip up windows. That meant I needed to go with the XL or XR. I just used this truck on a family camping trip, which means it was loaded with stuff. Man, those flip up windows were worth their weight in gold. SO much easier to access things.

So far I couldn't be happier with it, but I have had one minor issue. The Leer models have a trim piece that covers the tailgate "spoiler", which adds a lip behind the window. Many other makes put this trim on the window itself. I couldn't live with that, one of many reasons I stuck with Leer. That said, I'm already having issues with the adhesive on this trim piece releasing when heated up by the sun. I'm working with my dealer to correct that, hopefully for good.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the compliment Chunkem.

Just a quick update to the trim adhesive issue. I contacted my Leer dealer about the adhesive releasing when hot. He requested that I look to see if the 3M tape is releasing from the Leer trim, or the Ram trim (the Leer trim installs right on top of the Ram spoiler trim.) It was the tape to Ram trim that was failing.

With that, he said it's an intallation issue. The installer is supposed to use a "3M promoter pack", which apparently is a secret sauce that preps the OEM plastic for good adhesion. He speculated that his guy probably neglected to use the promoter, or did not dry the tailgate well enough prior to using the promoter. Since its a long haul for me to get to the dealer, we agreed that he would send me a new trim piece, 3M tape, and a few promoter packs.

Just thought I'd share that little bit of intel in case others with a Leer cap run into the same issue. I imagine this would apply to the 100XQ and 100XL on any 4th Gen Ram as well.

#4 ·
Dinosaur? Tell'em to go pound sand! I think truck caps are making a comeback and the newer models look awesome not to mention their functionality! I personally cannot wait to get one....looking at the Leer 100XL...anyway good looking truck ya got there! Enjoy.

#11 ·
My grandpa has always had one so to me they've always seemed sort of old people-y, but Chevies always did too for the same reason.:LOL:

If I lived where it snows then I'm sure I'd have one, they are definitely much more practical than a tonneau. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to get gravel, sand, etc... dumped in by the front end loader guy at the gravel lot.

#7 ·
I used to have a Leer topper and if I wasn't constantly putting yard waste in my bed, I would have another topper. I preferred sleeping in the bad instead of a tent and the topper also is good for carrying dogs and is added weight during the winter.

I like those fold up windows.

#8 ·
me too!

DSKUP,
Great post & great looking topper! I too am a dinasour and here's a picture of my Leer topper on my 2012 Ram 1500. The truck is used mainly to tow our 2012 Forest River Surveyor 220 25' trailer, 5000lbs loaded, and the Leer topper made a huge difference in towing; more stable (don't notice semi's passing anymore), tracks better and on a nice flat road with no headwind I'm getting 1-2 more mgp towing! Great investment! :smileup:

Attachments

#12 ·
I like my OEM tonneau but I need the back seat so my wife can rest her back when we travel. Therefore, I need more storage in the bed than the tonneau will allow. I just picked up a 3 yo black ARE Z-series with a lot of bells and whistles in northern Michigan but it needs to be white to match the truck. Fits great and I'll post a couple of shots when I've painted it white.

Style wise, it really matches the 14 Sport nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.