DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone else putting off buying a new Ram or other truck??

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  striker2237 
#1 · (Edited)
I currently own a 2012 Ram Bighorn and have pretty much decided not to trade it for a new truck even though I usually trade every three or four years. My 2012 has 70,00 miles on it and has a new set of tires. It has been very well maintained and because I am retired, it spends a lot of time in my garage. Most of the miles are highway miles. I have had no major problems with it other than a pretty crummy paint job that I had to correct. (I removed 89 paint nibs in the paint.) I still have 30,000 miles left on drivetrain warranty. Might as well take advantage of it. I have had two previous Rams and have put over 100,000 miles on each with no major problems. However two out of my three Rams had bad paint and/or body work.

I am very fortunate that I can buy almost any truck that I want and pay for it right up front...no payments. Thing is...I'd buy the same truck that I have now...same color and same options. I know the 2016's have more high tec stuff available, but I would rather drive a truck than drive a "computer or home entertainment center". Besides that most folks cannot tell the difference between a 2012 and a 2016.

Another reason I hesitate to buy a new Ram is that the new Rams are coming with same paint problems that the earlier Gen 4 Rams had. I sure don't want o go through that again. My wife has had five Toyota Tacoma pickups. No paint problems...none.

Sadly to to say if Chrysler doesn't change the body style of the Ram within a year or so and correct its paint problems, I might be purchasing a Tundra TRD Pro.

Anyone else in kind of the same position that I am in?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Right? I can't speak on behalf of the differences between 2012 and 2016, as this is my first ever Ram truck. But I can speak to what an awesome power train the Hemi combined with this 8 speed transmission is!

Please don't take any offense to this, but your post almost reads like you are wanting to be talked into buying a new truck. I can fully understand not buying one being retired (congrats by the way!) and on a fixed income. But if you can almost buy any truck and pay for it up front, then I would recommend at least taking a 2016 for a test drive, if you haven't already?

I have to agree with you on the paint job to some extent. I've noticed a few spots on my truck as well. Mine is just an Express model that I have since put some decent scratches in already, so that's neither here nor there for me at this point (I haul quite a bit).

I see that your new set of tires are the Michelin LTX AT2's. Awesome tires! I had just purchased a new set for my F150 and then proceeded to trade it in anyway on my Ram. I would have asked to swap the tires out, but my F150 had 17's and of course this Ram has the 20's - oh well.

#3 ·
I'm holding off until the new body style comes out.

I wouldn't switch brands, yet... Sadly I'm not financially secure enough to avoid payments quite yet, and I'm looking to buy a house this year. Unless Toyota, GMC or Ford does something mind blowing I have no intention of switching as RAM seems to always be way ahead of the herd in tech and body styling.

As for my current truck, with the 2013+ lights, you'd have a hard time telling it apart from a 2015.

8 speed transmission and a hemi would be a nice upgrade for me over the 4.7 + a 5 speed, but I don't think it's worth an extra 20K right now for me. Truth be told there is nothing mind blowing about a 2016 that makes me want to upgrade. I came close when they put the eco-diesel....

#4 ·
I have an 03, till something truly next level comes around (like active tq vectoring plus per wheel electric motor hybrid drive) I'm not interested at all. All the tech upgrades are kinda moot when one stops to remember smartphones do all that and more plus all those systems can be added on if wanted.

Hemi plus 8 speed is extremely good for a stock drivetrain and is by far the best combo out there power wise in a 1/2 ton short of the SRT-10

#5 ·
In 2017 or 2018 the Ram Assembly Plant will be moved away from the Warren, Michigan location
The most likely new location will likely be Sterling Heights, which is 10 miles north
There is a new paint facility at that location

#6 ·
70k is minimal miles on a pickup, there is no reason to trade up just for the sake of a newer vehicle. I'm not impressed with the Tundra's ride nor its exterior design.

That being said, if you are really THAT worried about paint, get a Ram made in Saltillo. And yes, they do make crew cabs there, for a few years now.

#7 ·
I usually hang on to my trucks for ten years.

If by change I make it another ten, I'll gladly order another Ram
equipped just like I have and might consider a color change :smileup:

I'll admit looks are a certain factor, gone are the day's where body
styles change frequently. Paint Quality* is another deal ;)

* Saltillo Unit

#8 ·
I like to keep Ford and Ram dealers busy ie: 11 transactions in exactly the last 4 years. I have gotten rid of vehicles with as low as 2400 miles on the odo, a GT500, 7000 miles on a SRT8 Challenger with the highest miler being the 2014 Sport rcsb I just got rid of, it had 16,000 miles. I was lucky enough to retire 4 years ago at the age of 47 and with all my ducks in a row I have money to throw at vehicles on a very regular basis. On the Tundra I place it in last place as far as the 1/2 tons go. My order goes like this in terms of favourites Ram, Ford, GMC/Chevy, Nissan and then the Tundra.:doh:

#9 ·
As far as style and options, I still prefer the Ram to all others and there is absolutely no reason for me to buy another Gen 4 Ram or any other truck unless my present Ram starts "falling apart" which won't happen for quite while.

In the style department the Ford F-150 would be my second choice, but there have been major quality problems with the new model...paint and body issues. I haven't paid that much attention to the GM twins. Strange because I drove GM products exclusively for over 35 years. If I could get the 6.2 liter V-8 without going the the highest end model, I'd consider one. About Nissan...meh. Now about the Tundra...I really don't care for the looks all that much, but it is a very reliable solid truck. It has a big V-8, plenty of horsepower and torque and a nice low rear end ratio. I'm starting to get use to how it looks. The model change in 2014 made it at least half way nice looking.

So for now my Ram will in my garage. It looks good and runs well...really well. I plan to wait and see what 2017 will bring. Regardless of I what I buy, it will have to have the meanest V-8 available in a stock truck. I've been driving bad ass V-8's for over 50 years. I'm not about to stop now.

#10 ·
Okay I'll say it as someone who owns a tundra (2013 sequoia platinum fully loaded) in their imeadiate family, Toyota has no clue what they are doing.

My dad owns a 2015 Ram 1500 blackout that DESTORYED the Toyota in all metrics (it is less than 1/2 the cost too mind you), it is more powerful, the interior is better fitted, the electronics are more responsive, the sound system is better, the ride is far superior (the Toyota even has air suspension) and most hillariously of all the ram gets more than 2x has mileage with its "primitive" pushrod V8. The powertrain on the toyotas are a total joke compared to the ram with only one single exception, the initial launch with the 4.15s and AWD is absolutely awesome.

However that is the only point the iforce has a chance against the hemi, it fails to even come close in any other metric.

Don't even get me started on the horrible implementation of an LSD Toyota uses or how dead feeling the steering feels or how the 4x4 system can't be used at speeds above 55. There is too much fail to list for a vehicle that costs as much as it does and at the top of its product stack.

I will give it this, it has been 100% reliable. Not really saying much though, my truck has also managed that.

#11 ·
IMHO its kind of retarded to buy a new vehicle every 2 or 3 years, but if you have the money go for it. Thunderhorse is paid off and I plan to keep her indefinitely barring a wreck or something, even a new engine or transmission is cheaper than a new truck. I may replace her as my DD after a few hundred thousand more miles (probably with a 3/4 ton gasser), but I'll still keep my first truck that I got with only 8 miles on the ticker.

Why does everyone talk s*** about pushrods? You do realize that overhead cams are an older design right? It is a simpler system and IMHO more robust, and the additional valves afforded by an OHC valvetrain only really make a difference high in the RPM range-well above 5,000RPM.

Rhetorical questions: what is the de-facto basis for the majority of top-fuel drag cars? What valvetrain type does is have?

Power wise the I-force is close to the Hemi; I don't think it is as durable though.

The 4.10s or 4.30s in the Tundra are ridiculous on a stock 1/2 ton truck, and also part of the reason that they get a good 4MPG worse than a Ram, Ford, or Chevy. Technology wise they are way behind the curve, and the current Tundra is essentially the same as the 2007 model except for the sheet metal. People talk about how long Nissan went without a redesign since 2004, but the 'Yota is only 3 years newer really. Their infotainment and powertrains are worlds behind the big 3.

#12 ·
I waited for the late 13 to come out as I knew RAM was upgrading just about everything. I wanted the Hemi with the 8 speed and I wanted the upgraded Uconnect system. I love technology the more the better. The LED and projector lighting. I plan on keeping my RAM at least 6 years maybe longer. Ill see what RAM is offering then and decide. I can easily buy a new RAM whenever I want but my RAM is awesome and equipped the way I want. I updated the grille and some interior pieces so its exactly how I want it. I only have 20,000 miles in a little over 2 and a half years so my RAM is in new condition.

#13 ·
No problems here...and I agree about driving a truck, not an entertainment center. I have a SCSB Express with 44K on it with basic equipment....other than a screwy Bluetooth, it's been flawless since new...paint is perfect(I got lucky with that). I was thinking about trading, since I have a dealership contacting me every month, but decided to sell it to my Son next year. I have the extended warranty to 75K...no worries there. After this ram, I'm buying used.....maybe another Rumble Bee....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.