DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tire & wheel fitment & sizing reference thread

165K views 239 replies 114 participants last post by  Tom-G 
#1 · (Edited)
**My portion of this thread is going to be limited to what I know which is primarily the 20" tire sizes (and thereby the third gen and fourth gen trucks). If someone with knowledge of the stock 17" fitments, older trucks, or even aftermarket fitments wants to add, please do so.

It seems like we get a lot of questions in the tire and wheel section about basic fitment issues and recommended tire sizes. A lot of the questions have been answered before and could be found with a search but as someone that has spent hours upon hours slogging through search results, it's always nice to have a go-to for at least the basic info. With that in mind, I started this thread. If it's needed and it helps, great. If not, at least I have a thread I can link to when I see these questions, lol.

I am no expert by any means. Most of my knowledge comes from those hours of searching and reading both here on our forum and other places on the web. With that in mind, if you see something that you think is incorrect or needs to be added, please let me know.

First, some quick facts:
* All third gen 20" rims are 9" wide
* Fourth gen 20" rims can be either 8" or 9" wide. To the best of my knowledge the chrome clads are 9" and the painted rims are 8".
* Here is a good site to visit if you don't know for certain how wide your rims are. Simply pick your model year and match the photo.
http://www.finishlinewheels.com/DODGE/RAM+%C0+TRUCK/
* I believe some early third gen 4x2 trucks came with 275/55/20 stock. However, most trucks, particularly more recent models come with 275/60/20 stock. 275/60/20 is a 33" tall, 10.8" wide tire.
* As stated above, stock is a 33" tire. All third and fourth gen trucks can run a 34" tall tire stock and a 35" tire with a proper level. This is height only...for info on width, see below.
* 17" diameter rims are the smallest that will clear the brakes on third and fourth gen trucks!

Sizing, fitment, and other info by model year:
* Early third gen (2002-2005) Ram owners are lucky in this regard. These trucks have torsion bar front suspensions that eliminate the clearance issues that newer trucks have. These trucks can run 305mm wide tires bone stock. As stated above, that means they can run 35x12.50x20 with only a level!!
* Newer third gens (2006-2008) and fourth gens (2009-present) are generally limited in width by the upper control arms. If you search, you will find differing comments regarding what fits and what doesn't. One owner will report that a size fits with minimal rubbing while another may report the same size runs with zero rubbing. While some of this may be due to differing tolerances on the trucks themselves, I would tend to guess it has more to do with variance between tire manufacturers and models. The general rule is that 285 is the widest that will fit on stock rims and without spacers.
* Exception for fourth gens with 8" wide stock rims: There is an exception to the above general rule for fourth gen trucks with the stock 8" wide rims. The narrower rim pulls the sidewall in more than the wider rim and allows fitment of a wider tire. Members with the 8" rims have confirmed no rubbing with 295/60/20 and 295/65/20. I personally have not seen confirmation of anything wider fitting but that doesn't necessarily mean it will not.

Fitment and other info by tire size:
All of these are compared to stock 275/60/20 (33x10.8x20). Please note that while comprehensive, this is not a list of every single tire size available for the 20" rims but simply some of the most popular.
* 275/55/20 (32x10.8x20) = Same width as stock, 1" shorter than stock, great selection, slightly cheaper or same price as stock.
* 275/65/20 (34x10.8x20) = Same width as stock, 1" taller than stock, large selection and not overly expensive compared to stock.
* 285/50/20 (31.2x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 1.8" shorter than stock, great selection, slightly cheaper or same price as stock, used a lot on lowered trucks with stock rims.
* 285/55/20 (32.3x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 0.7" shorter than stock, somewhat limited selection, fairly expensive.
* 285/60/20 (33.5x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 0.5" taller than stock, very limited selection and expensive.
* 285/65/20 (34.6x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 1.6" taller than stock, very limited selection and expensive.
* 295/60/20 (34x11.6x20) = 0.8" wider than stock, 1" taller than stock, limited to only the Nitto Terra Grappler all-terrain that I am aware of, expensive but a good blend of wider and taller.
* 295/65/20 (35x11.6x20) = 0.8" wider than stock, 2" taller than stock, limited to only the Nitto Trail Grappler mud-terrain that I am aware of, expensive.
* 305/50/20 (32x12.00x20) = 1.2" wider than stock, 1" shorter than stock, pretty good selection, priced comparable to stock size.
* 305/55/20 (33.2x12.00x20) = 1.2" wider than stock, basically same height as stock, great selection, somewhat expensive.

Spacers? What about spacers??
When I say spacers I am referring specifically to the 1/4" spacers that are required on most 2006-up trucks to clear some of these tires sizes. Some people use them and love them, some people wouldn't even consider running them, and some people simply don't know. So here's the facts. Lots of owners run cheap ($20-30) off the shelf universal spacers with absolutely zero issues. Many owners have shown that there is more than enough lug stud to run a 1/4 spacer with no increased danger of lug runoff. Checking lug torque periodically is certainly a good idea but that's the case even if you aren't running spacers. The only potential issue with universal spacers is that they do not fit the hub or lugs tightly and are therefore difficult to center on the hub. Some owners have experienced balance/vibration issues because of this. The solution is a set of hubcentric spacers from Motorsports Technologies. These spacers are basically the best you can buy. Hubcentricity guarantees that the hole in the spacers fits snugly around the hub thereby guaranteeing that they are centered. Seems like these spacers can be had for around $125/pair or maybe slightly less than twice that for a set of four. You can find them here...
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Alright, that's all I got. If I think if anything else to add I will and as I said, if anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way. Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#138 ·
question: I have a '14 Laramie with the 20" wheels. What is the largest size I can get - zero lift/leveling in an 18" rim? I think 275/70/18 is almost the exact same size/height as the stock 20s. 285/70/18 is a rare size - but .7" higher - wondering if that would fit.

.. or do I want to go with a 17" rim/wheel vs 18 for occasional off-roading?- nothing crazy but will need 4WD.

thanks in advance

#145 · (Edited)
small update..... Deciding to jump right to 20's. 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4wd Hemi with torsion bars cranked to level the truck. Looking to go with 35x12.50x20 Cooper Discoverer St Maxx tires, can I get away with a +18 Rim or would I need to go with 0 or negative offset?

@brandonjansen, your 06+ guide is nice, wish I could find that for early 3rd gens!

#146 ·
Lift and Tire Fit

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4WD with a 5.5" suspension lift. Currently I have 35x12.50x20" tires and 20" zero off-set wheels. The rub a little in reverse when you are cutting deep. I want to move up to 37" tires. Does anyone know what will be required for additional lift, trimming, or wheel spacing to eliminate the rub?

Attachments

#149 ·
#150 ·
Anyone running this size tire on a 4th gen leveled Ram? if so can you please post some pics. Any rubbing issues?
If you look up the user Boosted I know at one time he Ram 37's on his leveled TRX-4 (which is already like 1/2" higher in the front). Petersen's 4wheel & OffRoad also once ran 37's on a 2009 Ram 1500 with stock suspension if I remember correctly but there was trimming and fender rolling involved.

#152 ·
255/80r17

Just to contribute, I added 255/80r17 tires on 17x8 Dodge Ram (2003) wheels to my 2015 Tradesman single cab, here's the results.

As I bought it with 265/70r17 on 17x7 steel wheels:

On 17x8 Ram wheels (5.5" backspace)

Side view

Other side

#154 · (Edited)
Great thread… I have a '15 2500 4x4 Tradesman with factory 18x8 wheels. This is my farm truck, and will see a mix of highway as well as muddy pasture and snow situations. No plans to mod the suspension (I would lower if anything, but no-one offers lowering springs for a 2500).

The two tire options on my short list are the Cooper Zeon LTZ and the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack.

I'm leaning toward a 20x9 +18 wheel and 305/55R20 tire size. It sounds (from reading through this and other threads) like that should work, depending on the actual tire width? Can anyone confirm those sizes for those tires?

My fallback is to go to an 18x8 or 18x9 wheel and 295/65R18 tire (which would have to be the Duratrack, as the LTZ isn't available in that size).

Thanks for any input,

es

#157 ·
Great thread… I have a '15 2500 4x4 Tradesman with factory 18x8 wheels. This is my farm truck, and will see a mix of highway as well as muddy pasture and snow situations. No plans to mod the suspension (I would lower if anything, but no-one offers lowering springs for a 2500). ... I'm leaning toward a 20x9 +18 wheel and 305/55R20 tire size. It sounds (from reading through this and other threads) like that should work, depending on the actual tire width? Can anyone confirm those sizes for those tires?
UPDATE - I went ahead with the 20x9 +18 Ultra Splines and 305/55R20 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, and they worked out great - no rubbing at all (stock ride height). I also badged and added wheel flares and mud guards to make a "faux" Power Wagon. Here's the before and after:

es

#156 ·
been reading up through this entire thread and I just need to verify that the tires I want will fit my truck. it's just that the comparison are off by one thing or the other and not my vehicle specific lol.

2005 dodge ram 5.7L 2wd no lift no level. I have the 20' rims.
I read that 305/50 will fit. what about the 55 series? or the 60 series? I also read that us earlier 3rd gen are lucky because of the torsion bar so we don't have the rubbing issues.
again I just want to make sure before i drop $1200 on tires lol.

I appreciate the help.

#160 ·
I'm sure this issue has been beat to death but I ordered 295/60r20 toyo open country A/T2 extreme tires for my 2014 2WD RAM 1500 RCSB I have a 1.5" daystar leveling kit and stock 20x8 painted rims. (I am aware my leveling kit doesn't play a factor in width) Measured specs say the tire will be 11.8" wide, my winter set up (285/70r17 duratracs) are pretty close to the UAC. Will this setup work? I'd rather not buy different wheels.

#161 ·
Figured I'd post so that there is more information for sizes. I have 20x8 +19.07mm stock painted wheels. i mounted 295/60r20 Toyo Open country A/T2 Extremes yesterday. And they fit they do have a slight rub on the sway bar at full lock but they clear the UCA with room to spare. I'm 2wd with a 1.5" daystar level up front. These tire are great, they're quite, they ride much smother than the good-for-a-year SR-A tires I had, and they look kick ass too.

#163 · (Edited)
2013, 1500 Laramie 4x4 tire/wheel swap with 2" HellBent front level installed

Ive looking at some XD Badlands in chrome 20x9 -12 and some Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/R20 and was wondering if this setup will work on my 2013 Laramie 1500 with a 2" HellBent front level kit.:4-dontknow: I would also like the tire to stick out past fender about 1"

#164 ·
Ive looking at some XD Badlands in chrome 20x9 -12 and some Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/R20 and was wondering if this setup will work on my 2013 Laramie 1500 with a 2" HellBent front level kit.:4-dontknow: I would also like the tire to stick out past fender about 1"
Yes that setup will work no problem. They'll be sticking out past your fender by about 1.5"

#165 ·
Thank you, BrandonJanson for your time and response. Do you think this combination will look ok? Or do you think it will stick out to far? If I went with a 0 offset would the tires stick out about 1" past fender/flare..or would that tire and wheel combo rub. Also have your heard goods things about Custom Offset or Mr. Wheel online supplier? I think you're the forum Wheel/Tire expert and respect your opinion. Thanks again for your input. I'm not sure what hub rings do or if I will need them.

#166 ·
Yes I think it will look good as far as stance goes. You'll be wide enough to be aggressive but not too wide too look ridiculous. You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with that setup and a 2" leveling kit.
You will want hub rings as they center the wheels on the hub to make them hub centric (like your stock wheels) rather than lug centric. Without them guys often run into issues with vibration/shaking at highway speeds.

Shoot an email to sales@revelperformance.com and let them know what you want and that you're a forum member sent by me. They'll hook you up with a discounted quote for everything you need.

#168 ·
Depends on the exact wheels you get and what the hub bore is on them. But yes, 108 will likely be the hub bore of the aftermarket wheels and it will be 78.1mm on the inner circle to fit over the 77.8mm hub on your truck.
Yes, Revel can put the whole package together for you including wheels, tires, TPMS sensors, hub rings, lug nuts, etc.

#169 ·
I searched through the last 10 pages or so, and didnt see anything quite like the setup I am hoping to get. I have a 2016 Outdoorsman with the 17 inch wheels. I am looking to upgrade to 18x9, for a little more tire/wheel and width than what i have now. With the fender flares, the wheels just look too narrow for me. I was looking on a few sites and most dont even give an option for the outdoorsman for fitment - it sits a little taller as it is, stock, right? Anyway, I am looking at 18x9 wheel and tire size 265/70/18. Will it even fit? And will it give me the slightly taller and wider stance I am looking for?

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate it.

#170 ·
The Outdoorsman sits at the same height as all other trim levels.

As far as fitment goes where are you wanting the wheels/tires to sit? Do you want them flush with the flares? Tucked under slightly? Poking out slightly? That will all change the combination. Do you plan on leveling the truck or leaving it at stock height?

I'd recommend looking through a number of the stickied threads on the forum or a website such as Custom Offsets and find the type of setup you're looking for and we can get you the specs to match that.

#175 ·
I'm looking to get wheels/tires next week on my 2016 Sport CC Black Edition. My options are this;

Fuel Vector 20x9 +1 offset w/ Toyo RT 33's
Fuel Coupler 20x10 -24 offset w/Toyo RT 33's

Truck will be leveled the following day so I can have the alignment done with new wheels/tires.
I'm having a challenging time seeing the fit in my head. Will there be fit issues, will I need pocket flares?
Any input?

#176 ·
Either setup will fit no problem once you're leveled. You will likely have clearance issues with the 20x10 -24 offsets until you do get it up though.

You don't need pocket flares unless you want them. What is the width of the 33's you're planning to install? Assuming they're 12.5's they'll be sticking out past your fenders by approximately 2.75" so you will have a wide stance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.