DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tire & wheel fitment & sizing reference thread

165K views 239 replies 114 participants last post by  Tom-G 
#1 · (Edited)
**My portion of this thread is going to be limited to what I know which is primarily the 20" tire sizes (and thereby the third gen and fourth gen trucks). If someone with knowledge of the stock 17" fitments, older trucks, or even aftermarket fitments wants to add, please do so.

It seems like we get a lot of questions in the tire and wheel section about basic fitment issues and recommended tire sizes. A lot of the questions have been answered before and could be found with a search but as someone that has spent hours upon hours slogging through search results, it's always nice to have a go-to for at least the basic info. With that in mind, I started this thread. If it's needed and it helps, great. If not, at least I have a thread I can link to when I see these questions, lol.

I am no expert by any means. Most of my knowledge comes from those hours of searching and reading both here on our forum and other places on the web. With that in mind, if you see something that you think is incorrect or needs to be added, please let me know.

First, some quick facts:
* All third gen 20" rims are 9" wide
* Fourth gen 20" rims can be either 8" or 9" wide. To the best of my knowledge the chrome clads are 9" and the painted rims are 8".
* Here is a good site to visit if you don't know for certain how wide your rims are. Simply pick your model year and match the photo.
http://www.finishlinewheels.com/DODGE/RAM+%C0+TRUCK/
* I believe some early third gen 4x2 trucks came with 275/55/20 stock. However, most trucks, particularly more recent models come with 275/60/20 stock. 275/60/20 is a 33" tall, 10.8" wide tire.
* As stated above, stock is a 33" tire. All third and fourth gen trucks can run a 34" tall tire stock and a 35" tire with a proper level. This is height only...for info on width, see below.
* 17" diameter rims are the smallest that will clear the brakes on third and fourth gen trucks!

Sizing, fitment, and other info by model year:
* Early third gen (2002-2005) Ram owners are lucky in this regard. These trucks have torsion bar front suspensions that eliminate the clearance issues that newer trucks have. These trucks can run 305mm wide tires bone stock. As stated above, that means they can run 35x12.50x20 with only a level!!
* Newer third gens (2006-2008) and fourth gens (2009-present) are generally limited in width by the upper control arms. If you search, you will find differing comments regarding what fits and what doesn't. One owner will report that a size fits with minimal rubbing while another may report the same size runs with zero rubbing. While some of this may be due to differing tolerances on the trucks themselves, I would tend to guess it has more to do with variance between tire manufacturers and models. The general rule is that 285 is the widest that will fit on stock rims and without spacers.
* Exception for fourth gens with 8" wide stock rims: There is an exception to the above general rule for fourth gen trucks with the stock 8" wide rims. The narrower rim pulls the sidewall in more than the wider rim and allows fitment of a wider tire. Members with the 8" rims have confirmed no rubbing with 295/60/20 and 295/65/20. I personally have not seen confirmation of anything wider fitting but that doesn't necessarily mean it will not.

Fitment and other info by tire size:
All of these are compared to stock 275/60/20 (33x10.8x20). Please note that while comprehensive, this is not a list of every single tire size available for the 20" rims but simply some of the most popular.
* 275/55/20 (32x10.8x20) = Same width as stock, 1" shorter than stock, great selection, slightly cheaper or same price as stock.
* 275/65/20 (34x10.8x20) = Same width as stock, 1" taller than stock, large selection and not overly expensive compared to stock.
* 285/50/20 (31.2x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 1.8" shorter than stock, great selection, slightly cheaper or same price as stock, used a lot on lowered trucks with stock rims.
* 285/55/20 (32.3x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 0.7" shorter than stock, somewhat limited selection, fairly expensive.
* 285/60/20 (33.5x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 0.5" taller than stock, very limited selection and expensive.
* 285/65/20 (34.6x11.2x20) = 0.4" wider than stock, 1.6" taller than stock, very limited selection and expensive.
* 295/60/20 (34x11.6x20) = 0.8" wider than stock, 1" taller than stock, limited to only the Nitto Terra Grappler all-terrain that I am aware of, expensive but a good blend of wider and taller.
* 295/65/20 (35x11.6x20) = 0.8" wider than stock, 2" taller than stock, limited to only the Nitto Trail Grappler mud-terrain that I am aware of, expensive.
* 305/50/20 (32x12.00x20) = 1.2" wider than stock, 1" shorter than stock, pretty good selection, priced comparable to stock size.
* 305/55/20 (33.2x12.00x20) = 1.2" wider than stock, basically same height as stock, great selection, somewhat expensive.

Spacers? What about spacers??
When I say spacers I am referring specifically to the 1/4" spacers that are required on most 2006-up trucks to clear some of these tires sizes. Some people use them and love them, some people wouldn't even consider running them, and some people simply don't know. So here's the facts. Lots of owners run cheap ($20-30) off the shelf universal spacers with absolutely zero issues. Many owners have shown that there is more than enough lug stud to run a 1/4 spacer with no increased danger of lug runoff. Checking lug torque periodically is certainly a good idea but that's the case even if you aren't running spacers. The only potential issue with universal spacers is that they do not fit the hub or lugs tightly and are therefore difficult to center on the hub. Some owners have experienced balance/vibration issues because of this. The solution is a set of hubcentric spacers from Motorsports Technologies. These spacers are basically the best you can buy. Hubcentricity guarantees that the hole in the spacers fits snugly around the hub thereby guaranteeing that they are centered. Seems like these spacers can be had for around $125/pair or maybe slightly less than twice that for a set of four. You can find them here...
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Alright, that's all I got. If I think if anything else to add I will and as I said, if anyone has any suggestions please throw them my way. Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#65 ·
Okay for some reason this tire rim backspacing thing continues to cause me confusion and I do not want purchase the wrong rims as I make changes to my set up.

04 4wd leveling kit hemi is my set up...17x8.5 aluminum pacer rims.

My factory bolt pattern is 5-139, correct? factory backspacing is 4.5, correct?

going from a 8.5 to 9 rim does not effect anything mechanically (or rubbing fenders) as long as backspacing is consistent, correct?

Thanks, I do not why this causes me so much confusion but it does so I want to verify before purchasing new rims.

#66 ·
Your bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5 (139.7mm) do you're close. Your factory offset on a 17x8.5 wheel should be +19mm which is a 5.5" backspacing. Going with a wider rim with a consistent backspacing will push the wheel out further which does have the potential to give you rubbing issues depending on the tire sizing you're going with. Check out the Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing linked in my signature. The second post has a ton of information about wheel sizing and how offset and backspacing works with some diagrams and charts to help you out.

#69 · (Edited)
I assume you mean 305/50? Without looking I'm fairly confident they don't make a 40 series in the Trail Grapp. Even a 50 series is shorter than the stock 20" tire. If you want to beef it up I might suggest raising the torsion bars slightly and putting on a set of aggressive 305/55, 275/65, or even a 35x12.50. You can find info on how these sizes compare to the stock 20" tires in the first post of this thread.

On an 04 any of those will fit without any lift beyond a little bit from the torsion bars.

#70 ·
Newbie Here..... Upfront thanks to all of you for the info and time you have all put in to providing help. I am doing a 2/4 lowering on a 1999 Dodge Ram 2/4 STD and want to fill the wheel wells up with tire without scrubbing and rubbing. I a looking at either 17s or 18s x 9 inch with 4.5 offset but am unsure of the tire sizes or clearance issues? This is an econo build that I am doing for a baby brother - mainly paint, suspension, tires/wheels, exhaust, and minor engine upgrades. Any help that you can provide is much appreciated in advance!! I hope I can repay in the future as well.

#73 ·
I know I created this thread but I don't know much about the 2013-14 trucks. Are they really that tight that one size taller is cutting it close?

#77 ·
A 275/65/20 is 34.1" tall which is a pretty good size tire. On stock wheels it shouldn't be a problem. If anything it will rub on the sway bar at full lock. With negative offset wheels and no lift you would start to have more rubbing issues.

Yea...I've searched and read through so many threads and haven't seen a whole lot on the 13-14 trucks, so I decided to ask. I also plan to use the Mopar mud flaps.

It looks like this tire size would fit my 08 with no problem (also stock). I've even tried turning the wheels tight each way and it would probably clear.

My '14 (since it's not here yet)...don't know!
I agree there's not a lot of information for stock height trucks. The majority of guys that are putting larger tires on are leveling the truck as well so that's what most of the information is geared towards.

#75 ·
Yea...I've searched and read through so many threads and haven't seen a whole lot on the 13-14 trucks, so I decided to ask. I also plan to use the Mopar mud flaps.

It looks like this tire size would fit my 08 with no problem (also stock). I've even tried turning the wheels tight each way and it would probably clear.

My '14 (since it's not here yet)...don't know!

#79 ·
Relative newbie here. More lurker than poster for the past few years.

Had an 2010 SLT and now have a 2013 Express. All Stock. I had the General Grabber AT2's on the 10 and would love to get them again for the 13. With keeping the stock wheels I just can't seem to figure out the correct tire size they (General) offer that would fit closest.

Since I assume they are going to be pretty darn expensive maybe another option would be a tire(General) and wheel(Optional) package with a smaller wheel. This would keep future tire purchases a little cheaper.

Any and all help would be much appreciated with my dilemma. Thank you in advance.

#90 · (Edited)
Relative newbie here. More lurker than poster for the past few years.

Had an 2010 SLT and now have a 2013 Express. All Stock. I had the General Grabber AT2's on the 10 and would love to get them again for the 13. With keeping the stock wheels I just can't seem to figure out the correct tire size they (General) offer that would fit closest.

Since I assume they are going to be pretty darn expensive maybe another option would be a tire(General) and wheel(Optional) package with a smaller wheel. This would keep future tire purchases a little cheaper.

Any and all help would be much appreciated with my dilemma. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forumz. I assume you have the factory 20 inch wheels? If so, I believe the only size offered on that tire that you could run without some kind of modification (wheels, lift, spacers, etc) would be the 275/65/20. That's one inch taller than stock. The rest of the 20" offerings in the AT2 are too wide to run on a stock setup.

You might save a little money on the actual tires by going to a 17" or 18" rim but the cost of rims and tires together will still be much more than just buying tires for the stock 20" rims.

What size are you looking for? Close to stock? Taller? Wider? Both??
I've actually had 305/50R20 Terra Grapplers on my Lowered 10' Sport RCSB 4x4,
stock 20" chrome clads, no spacers, since June 2010, no rubbing .

Clears the upper A arm by a 1/4" (YMMV)

They are too worn to see one more Winter,
and replacements from Nitto run over $420 ea in Canada now. :doh:

So I picked up a set of General Grabber AT2's in the same size for $260 ea
I saved enough $$$ to buy a set of new 14' Sport non-chrome-clad take-offs I found on Kijiji. :smileup:

a little dusty, but flawless once cleaned up...

I'm just waiting on a new set of TPMS sensors (ebay $69) to arrive before install them,
no rush, Winters a few months away still. I'll be sure to let everyone know if they fit or not.

My Nitto Terra Grapplers were 32.2" x 32.2",
The Grabber AT2's are 12.4" x 32.0" so it should be close (2 tenths of an inch wider)

--------------------------------------------------

Are the Express Wheels 20"x8" or 20"x9" ?

The other option for a Ram in a Grabber AT2 is to go one size taller than stock (275/65R20), (11" x 34")

#80 ·
Welcome to the forumz. I assume you have the factory 20 inch wheels? If so, I believe the only size offered on that tire that you could run without some kind of modification (wheels, lift, spacers, etc) would be the 275/65/20. That's one inch taller than stock. The rest of the 20" offerings in the AT2 are too wide to run on a stock setup.

You might save a little money on the actual tires by going to a 17" or 18" rim but the cost of rims and tires together will still be much more than just buying tires for the stock 20" rims.

What size are you looking for? Close to stock? Taller? Wider? Both??

#81 ·
Real Newbie here.

Just picked up a HemiGTX and although the mileage is low the original AR Motto wheels are toast. Doesn't look like the original chrome was very good to start with. It's peeling in sheets.

I really like the look of the Cragar 20x9 Supersport 610C. The Cragar site says they don't fit. Is the only problem a different offset?

From reading your write-up and what information I think I've got right, Cragar is a +20 and the stock was a +30? So could I run without the 10 spacer (285/55/20 Tires) or will it be mandatory?

Thanks for your help.

#82 ·
I'm not a big fan of that particular rim. Not really sure how it would look on a truck. But if you like it, that's all that matters. Personally, I would prefer something like the 701C....resembles the new 22" R/T rims.

Anyway, I don't know what the offset of the factory AR wheels is. I'm sure it's very close to the stock 20x9 rims which I believe are around +18 or +19mm offset. Unless I am missing something, I see no reason at all why the wheel you are looking at in 20x9 with +20 offset wouldn't fit. That's about as close to stock as you can get. You should not need a spacer and that tire size should fit fine. You could possibly even run a 305/50/20. If you are serious about those rims, I would call Cragar and get them to explain why they say they will not fit.

#83 ·
Starquest,
Thank you for the reply. Yes I am currently running the stock 20's.

For ease it looks like the 275/65/20 are the way to go, yet a little more expensive down the road for replacements.

For cost the wheel(17/18) and tire package would be more up front, but tire replacement down the road would be cheaper.

Size I am looking for is just to stay as close to stock.

Side note, I was able to get 63k out of my last set of AT2 with plenty of towing mixed in. Just rotated every 5k at oil change.

#86 ·
No level needed for 33" tires. The stock 20" tire and wheel is 33" tall. I don't know how far your flares stick out but I doubt very seriously the wheels you are looking at will stick out past the flares. They should stick out about 3/4" more than the stock 20" wheel.

#88 ·
With stock rims the 305s would be an issue on your truck but with the rims you are looking at you will be fine. By maintaining a 9" rim but going with nearly 3/4" less offset you are effectively moving the rims out that far and giving yourself more than enough room to clear them without rubbing.

#93 ·
I thought I would update from the previous page,
My new 305/50R20 (12.4" x 32") General Grabbers are finally on..

posted yesterday in this thread : http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121458

I've ran 305/50R20 Terra Grapplers since 2010 on stock sport chrome clads,
no spacers, no rubbing...and my RCSB 4x4 has a Ground Force 2/3 drop!

Grapplers measured 12.2" x 32.2" new, now nearly bald and replaced with General Grabber AT2's today
Same 305/50R20 size (12.4" x 32" mounted) and still no rubbing, no spacers, but new Sport wheels off a 14' Ram.

upper control arm clearance is a little less than a 1/4"

#94 ·
Mounting problems

I hope my post is okay here. I have posted in other parts of this forum, but this seems the most knowledgeable.
I am having a real issue with snow tires right now.
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Laramie with 275-60-20 Cooper discoverer HT plus tires on it right now. Hate them. In the winter they get so hard its like driving on hockey pucks.
Canadian Tire had Cooper ATw tires on sale last week for $202 plus install etc. but I couldn't get them at the local store, so I drive 30 miles to a different store to get them. They can't install for a week, so I bring them back to the local store where the wait to install was only 3 days. here is where the fun starts.
The technician tries to mount one, but can't. Figures it's because they were in the back of my truck, and are too stiff because of the cold. Okay, fair enough. So they put them beside the heater for an hour and try again.
Still can't get them to seat. They tried putting a strap around the outside of the tire, still no luck. I watched the fellow working at it and he really did try, but it seems they are too stiff to push out to the rim to seat.
The tires on now are Cooper, 275-60-20. The tires I want put on are Cooper, 275-60-20. Only difference is the speed rating, which may mean a stiffer sidewall.
Now I have to wait til this Thursday, next available appointment time.
They are going to try a tube to expand the tire enough to seat, then remove the tube.
I have never heard of such a run around to mount a set of tires.
The rims are Dodge rims, 9.5 inches wide.
Cooper specs say Min.8 inch, max 9.5 inch.

The reason I want these tires is they are true all season.
From what I can tell they are all seasons, but have the snow peak emblem, so no need to switch out in the summer.
Any ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated

#96 ·
Using a Leveling kit doesn't change the space between the wheel/tire and the upper control arm that may or may not require the use of wheels spacers.

Spacers are used to move the tire out away from suspension components based on wheel size and offset.

It does not matter if you are lowered, stock or leveled.

The distance here remains the same

What wheels are you currently using?

According to Nitto's site
LT 295/60R20 Terra Grappler is 12.36" x 34.45
the new Terra Grappler G2 is 11.77" x 33.94"

I would say the first would be very close
(see my pic above that shows my 12.4" tire on a stock 20" x 9" Sport Wheel)

the G2 should fit no problem at only 11.77" wide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.