DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Official Off-Road tire thread!!!!

61K views 140 replies 85 participants last post by  PowerJrod 
#1 ·
Ok ive worked in tire stores for the better part of 5 years now and have seen sooo many truck tires that i basically know them all below is a list of the most popular brands truck tires and a 1-5 rating on them, hope this helps! Please let me know if you need help with deciding and sizing.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A:
BFGoodrich headlines its series of 4x4 truck tires with the versatile All Terrain K/O. For the perfect combination of off-road performance and long-lasting tread life on the street, trust the BF Goodrich All Terrain off-road truck tires. 3.75

BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM2:
Krawler KM2 truck tires are the newest addition to the BFGoodrich family of truck tires. In this case, BFGoodrich expands upon the original KM design, further bolstering these truck tires for toughness and drivability in a variety of off road terrains. 4.5

BF Goodrich Krawler T/A:
An aggressive tread pattern and puncture resistant sidewalls help make the BFGoodrich Crawler T/A 4x4 truck tires some of the most ideal off-road truck tires available for rock crawling, as well as a multitude of other rugged conditions. 4.75

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw:
For the hardcore off-road enthusiasts, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial 4x4 truck tires offer massive bite and extreme durability in the most rugged environments. Advanced tread design also handles quite nicely on the street, too. 3.75

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ:
Mickey Thompson's ATZ Traditional radial tire features unique computer designed tread that provides a great ride on the highway and provides solid off-road traction for off highway adventures and work trucks. Great selection of sizes for today's modern vehicles. 3.75

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ:
Extreme off-roaders will appreciate the great ride and handling that this mud tire has on the highway. The MTZ has Mickey Thompson's Power Ply™ sidewalls with a special angled third ply to give you high performance handling, better puncture resistance, and improved towing capability. 4.25

Pro Comp Radial All Terrain:
Pro Comp's Premium Radial All Terrain tire offer a quiet and comfortable highway ride, as well as superb off-road traction, making it an excellent choice for pickup and SUV owners looking to improve all-around performance in every situation. 50,000 Mile Tread-Wear Warranty. 3.5

Pro Comp Radial Mud Terrain:
Designed to enhance traction in a multitude of conditions, while also providing a smooth, quiet performance on the street, Pro Comp Radial Mud Terrain 4x4 truck tires are the perfect combination of aggressive grip and a comfortable ride. 3.75

Pro Comp Xterrain Radial:
For a set of rock crawling beasts that also drive comfortably on paved roads, Pro Comp Xterrain off-road truck tires provide all the aggressive traction that you need, and just might surprise you with their freakishly quiet ride on the street. 4.0

Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial:
Featuring an aggressive tread design and Tri-Ply construction, the Pro Comp Xtreme A/T 4x4 truck tires deliver excellent performance in harsh terrain, making them ideal for the serious off-road enthusiasts and Heavy Hauler. 40,000 Mile Tread-Wear Warranty. 3.5

Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain Radial:
Designed to enhance traction in a multitude of conditions, while also providing a smooth, quiet performance on the street, Pro Comp Radial Mud Terrain 4x4 truck tires are the perfect combination of aggressive grip and a comfortable ride. 3.75

Super Swamper TSL Radial:The Super Swamper Radial is the most aggressive light truck tire ever developed. It is designed for a very smooth ride at surprisingly low noise level. 3.0

Super Swamper TSL Bogger:
Not for the faint of heart, or the casual off-road enthusiast, Super Swamper TSL Bogger 4x4 truck tires are the ultimately mud terrain tire for those who absolutely demand extreme performance in the roughest conditions on the planet. 3.0

General Tires Grabber:The new off-road addition to the Grabber family, the General Grabber DOT-approved off-road tire comes in a variety of sizes and is designed to perform on the highway and streets as well is engineered with rugged good looks and race-proven performance. A tough, three-ply reinforced body construction and a race-proven Duragen tread compound is designed to stand up to the rigors of off-road as well as highway conditions. General Grabber’s optimized tread design and multiple tread edges work to deliver great side bite and lateral traction. General has engineered the Grabber with what it calls AMST – Acoustic Modulation Sound Technology – a sound wave suppression technology that works to reduce road tires noise. The Grabber DOT-approved off-road tire comes in a variety of sizes and is designed to perform on the highway and streets as well. 3.5

General Tires Grabber AT2:General’s newest All Terrain features a five-row lug pattern with strategically-placed sipes that result in many biting edges. Computer-optimized contouring gives the Grabber AT2 a wider, flatter tread contour with a squared shoulder, enhancing performance and aggressive good looks. Features a 5-row tread pattern with multiple traction edges that have an extra-deep tread pattern and Highly-engineered acoustics. Exceptional traction over all terrains. Aggressive self-cleaning tread pattern enhances off-road and wet traction capabilities. With 44 sizes, in 14 to 20-inch rim diameters and Q through H speed ratings, the Grabber AT2 tire is available for most light truck applications. 3.5

Dick Cepek Radial Crushers:The latest performance off-road truck tires, Dick Cepek Crusher 4x4 truck tires are yet another addition to the constantly growing line of aggressive, high quality off-road truck tires, exclusively from Dick Cepek. 4.0

Dick Cepek Radial F-C II:Dick Cepek Fun Country II 4x4 tires provide the perfect culmination of off-road toughness to go with excellent street manners, making them some of the best performing off-road truck tires available on the market today. 4.0

Dick Cepek Radial Mud Country:Following a standard of excellence in crafting some of the most aggressive off-road truck tires available, the Dick Cepek Mud Country 4x4 truck tires are the ultimate in high-performance off-road tires that can handle every kind of terrain. 4.0

Toyo Open Country All Terrain:The durable Open Country A/T offers aggressive wet and snow traction for pickups, vans and SUVs. This versatile all-terrain radial delivers rugged good looks without compromising handling, ride comfort or on- and off-road stability. 3.5

Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain:Toyo Open Country M/T off-road truck tires are the hardcore off-road enthusiast's tire of choice. The aggressive tread can crawl through any mess, while the smart lug placement and design provides precise, quiet driving on the street. 4.25

Nitto Terra Grappler:Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 4x4 truck tires are designed for light trucks and SUVs. Designed with a balanced void ratio for excellent on or off-road traction, these off-road truck tires are mud and snow rated for all-season performance. 4.25

Nitto Mud Grappler:Take a ride on Nitto's most extreme set of 4x4 truck tires in the Nitto Mud Grapplers. These off-road truck tires use a computer-designed tread pattern, along with massive sidewalls, resulting in maximum traction and extreme durability. 4.75

Nitto Dune Grappler:Nitto Dune Grappler 4x4 truck tires are for those who want aggressive off-road tires with a more comfortable ride on the street. Their intuitively designed tread significantly reduces street noise, while also making them effective off-road. 3.25

Nitto Trail Grappler:The all-new Trail Grappler M/T blends some of the off-road performance of the Mud Grappler with the on-road comfort of the Terra Grappler to create a tire that is both aggressive and quiet. For off-road performance, the sidewall combines a 3-ply high turn-up construction with a thick rubber compound that cushions the tire and helps prevent punctures. On the tread surface, the blocks are configured to provide additional biting edges that command lateral stability and enhance forward traction. For on-road comfort, Nitto’s engineers used advanced sound analysis equipment to reduce the noise levels commonly associated with off-road tires. The internal construction and tread design also help optimize tread life. Two wide steel belts provide a stable base for the tire and increase tread strength. This advanced construction provides optimal uniformity and reduces irregular wear. 4.75

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar:The Goodyear Wrangler MTR With Kevlar innovatives the use of Kevlar to help bring superb sidewall cut and puncture resistance to an area of the tire that demands extra toughness when driving off-road. It also helps reinforce the sidewall for driving on pavement. 3.75

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac:The new Wrangler DuraTrac features TractiveGroove Technology to help get the job done. Offering enhanced traction in deep mud and snow, the Wrangler DuraTrac is a hardworking tire for drivers who don't know the meaning of the word quit. 3.5

If you have any questions just ask!!!! FYI i run the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice list there man and very helpful info! Thanks for taking the time to put that together and post it! :smileup:

- Cajun

#6 ·
RamCountry,

What do you think about the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders? I currently have these, but haven't been able to really test their ability. They are doing pretty good so far. Still waiting for some mud...

I got my eyes on those new General Grabbers next (the street legal offroad racing tire).

J

#8 ·
the buckshots are a good bang for your buck tire you wont be too dissapointed with them in the mud but i would recommend those for smaller trucks like rangers or s-10s as they tend to chop up with heavier trucks, as for the general grabbers i havent seen a set of those yet but by the tread pattern they will do ok in mud, they look like all-terrains so keep that in mind.

#15 ·
First of all thanks for the info, it helps a lot :smileup:. I have one question though...Why did you give the goodyear wrangler duratrac a 3.5? I am stuck between the duratrac, Nitto trail grappler and terra grappler. Only 20% of my driving will be off road if that, but I like the look of the M/T on other trucks ive seen. Plus winter's can get pretty bad here in NW Ohio.

#17 ·
I have the duratracs and for the money they arent really worth it i paid alot for mine and they are ok but they dont have amazing mud traction and they like to chop too i would go with the Terra Grapplers they have a very good tred design and are fairly priced and they will be just what you need:smileup:

#35 · (Edited)
I think I will have to move up to a 18" rim due to a HD steering upgrade. I have decided that your suggestion is really my best option. Although the Iroks will not last as long as other tires they fit my needs best. Thanks again.

Turns out I wont be able to use the Thuren steering kit so I am back to using 17" rims.

#26 ·
Hey guyz

What would you suggest for the best overall winter tire?
Need to have the lugs to chew through 2ft of snow across the open lakes to get to the good fishin spots. Tires should also be decent on the icy roads we have up here.
20" rims...2009 Dodge Ram/

thanks

Attachments

#29 ·
Hi , I'm not sure if this is where i should ask this but here I go.
I have a 09 ram 4x4 2" leveling kit. I would like to know if there is any running 35"
tires and if they rub. Sure looks like there is room. I have Mickeys 305/55/ 20 on it now.
Any help would be great thanks.

#33 · (Edited)
I am considering putting 285/70/17's on my 08 Ram and thinking about getting a set of Mickey ATZ's Anyone running these tires and would be able to give me an approximate life on the tire? It's my every day or I'd put something more aggressive. And if not the ATZ, any recommendations? Maybe Nitto Trail Grappler? Super Swamper SSR? I appreciate the advice, winters coming up here and the bald wranglers that came with the truck won't pull me through much of a 2 foot snow drift

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.