DODGE RAM FORUM banner

I've Decided What To Do - Planned Mods

5K views 51 replies 8 participants last post by  erm 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I briefly considered selling or trading in my low mileage (37K miles) '99 SLT RAM but then, I thought that didn't make a lot of sense. Why take on a new payment? :SHOCKED: I just wanted more power, more height, more of everything.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with this truck that a few mods won't fix. ;) And I do prefer the older style RAM body style to the newer ones. No offense to you newer RAM owners. :gy:

So, I've spent some time the past week doing some parts research via the web and a few hardcore MOPAR buddys of mine. Here's my planned mods list:

1. Ram Sport front bumper/fascia conversion with foglights, body colored grill shell and black mesh grill.

2. Steel 3" cowl hood.

3. Rear steel roll pan with hidden hitch and license plate flip kit.

4. HID headlight conversion.

5. Badge and molding removal.

6. Spray in bed lining.

7. Westin bull bar, skid plate, PIAA 4" driving lights.

8. 5" Superlift lift kit.

9. 35" Toyo MT tires.

10. Wheels (TBD)

11. 408 stroker motor, based on the 360 Magnum LA block.

12. GearZ...

And last, but not least, new paint.

I'm probably crazy. :4-looney:

So, pray for me folks. This is gonna be quite the build, it won't be cheap (but cheaper than a new truck) and my wife WILL NOT UNDERSTAND!

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
G
#5 ·
Yes, I am going through with it. I've got more research to do on my engine / trans options, gears, induction/fuel delivery, etc... but it's gonna be a big block for sure.

Do it Michael! Why sell away a perfectly good truck when you can make it bigger, faster, stronger... and exactely how you want it to look. Quick one, does the bull bar fit the sport bumper? I thought that a few makes didn't. I'm in 100% support of the build and would love to see it finished or at least in progress...
Exactly my reasoning, my friend. The bull bar will fit if I don't use the lower spoiler and extend it a bit forward so I don't have to cut the fascia, which I'd prefer not to do unless I absolutely have to. That's another area of research I need to finalize but based on the measurements I have, it should work just fine.

Not to worry, I'll be documenting the build, both in pictures and written documentation.

Sell that old engine aswell, with 37k youll sell it damn near instantly! If I had the cash I'd take it off your hands Lol.
The old engine, possibly the trans if I replace that, the stock hood, front and rear bumper will all go on the market. I'll have no use for the 5.2L in any event.

Well, time to get on with the research, then purchase the body and suspension parts this Winter. If things go as planned, I'll do the suspension and body stuff first during the Spring and Summer next year. Gotta figure out what wheels spec to run given lift and tire size I end up with.

I'll need the truck to be running this Winter and next. Then, it'll be time to tackle the powertrain.

Oh, I've already added to my list...LOL

Twin whip CB antenna, Cobra remote/mic controlled CB with sideband and a ProTec truck box. :)

#3 ·
Do it Michael! Why sell away a perfectly good truck when you can make it bigger, faster, stronger... and exactely how you want it to look. Quick one, does the bull bar fit the sport bumper? I thought that a few makes didn't. I'm in 100% support of the build and would love to see it finished or at least in progress...

#6 ·
Lol whenever you get an idea, just add it on here! it'll be the most B.A. mod list around.

I'm so intrigued by the selection of engine. I thought you were just going to supercharge the 5.2 or something but then I witnessed *440* And the lights began to brighten around me as a tear ran down my face Lol.

That is AWESOME

G
#7 ·
I really like the idea of a 440/727 powertrain. It will take a bit more skull sweat and research to get computer controls and fuel management to work with that combo but I know who to call about that.

But if I can find a wrecked 300, Magnum or Charger SRT with the 6.1L, PCM and autostick trans; it makes the engine swap and engine control computer work much easier. And I can tune it easily enough with a Predator and a CMR tune on a dyno. Fast, efficient, computer controlled and built for a supercharger somewhere down the road. I have a good source for the forged stroker kit to take it from 6.1L/372 cu in to 6.4L/372 cu in but stroking and forging the HEMI will allow forced induction to be added later.

All I gotta do is figure out whether or not the engine will fit in the truck. But guess what...I have a 300C SRT8 in my garage so guess I won't have a problem getting measurements. ;)

#9 ·
I know your not in the market, but dang thats a good deal! Also it's in kent... within a half mile radius of me. which is within 500 miles of you if your willing to travel.

#13 ·
new build

All of that sounds completely awsome and smart if you ask me. Your getting a truck the way you want it and you know everything there is about it as well. I cant wait to see some pics as you progress into your build.:smileup:

#15 ·
a 440... wow you don't hear about those much anymore. Are you going with primarily a stock block and upper end or a mild buildup? The 727 is pretty tough and should handle the twist of that torque monster. I noticed Mass-Flo makes a pretty bad-@ss fuel injection system (1,000 cfm throttle body) for the 440. That would smoke some 35's...

G
#16 ·
Good info, Daniel. Thanks for that.

I haven't seen a 440 installed in this generation of Dodge truck. I drove a 1ton flatbed with a 4spd years ago that had one. I think it was a '77.

It's either a 440 / 727 or a 6.4 / 5spd autostick. Alex found a 6.1L HEMI up near him and it's a hell of a deal! It may be that I have to re-prioritize my plan as this one includes the tranny and computer!

#25 ·
I briefly considered selling or trading in my low mileage (37K miles) '99 SLT RAM but then, I thought that didn't make a lot of sense. Why take on a new payment? :SHOCKED: I just wanted more power, more height, more of everything.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with this truck that a few mods won't fix. ;) And I do prefer the older style RAM body style to the newer ones. No offense to you newer RAM owners. :gy:

So, I've spent some time the past week doing some parts research via the web and a few hardcore MOPAR buddys of mine. Here's my planned mods list:

1. Ram Sport front bumper/fascia conversion with foglights, body colored grill shell and black mesh grill.

2. Steel 3" cowl hood.

3. Rear steel roll pan with hidden hitch and license plate flip kit.

4. HID headlight conversion.

5. Badge and molding removal.

6. Spray in bed lining.

7. Westin bull bar, skid plate, PIAA 4" driving lights.

8. 5" Superlift lift kit.

9. 35" Toyo MT tires.

10. Wheels (TBD)

11. 440CID V-8 with either a custom adaptor plate for the stock trans or a rebuilt, computer controlled 727 TorqueFlite trans. Alternately, a forged 6.4L new generation HEMI and a 5pd autostick transmission.

12. GearZ...

And last, but not least, new paint.

I'm probably crazy. :4-looney:

So, pray for me folks. This is gonna be quite the build, it won't be cheap (but cheaper than a new truck) and my wife WILL NOT UNDERSTAND!

Thanks for looking.

that will be awesome!!!!especially the big block :smileup:
i have a brand new set of pro comp xtreme 6001 chrome wheels
18 x 9.5 deep dish still in the boxes i paid $1100 for them i would take $750 and i will ship them to you
if interested you can call me at 859-358-3018 thanks neil

G
#31 ·
I'll do my homework over the next 6 months or so to see which combination is viable. Right now, I have options. If one or another combination won't work, I'll move on to the next.

I have a feeling that the 5 spd auto from the LX cars will not work with a transfer case but we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.