3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  erm 
#1 ·
i fixed the wires under the seat and cleaned up the inside. here's pix

wires fixed and hung

and damage to carpet

and new floormats to help cover up and to help keep inside clean

See less See more
#3 ·
chrysler(not dealer) declined to fix it under warranty due to "aftermarket equpiment" i know the root cause is the missing seat bracket. that let the wires hang loose and chafe the metal seat frame

#8 ·
Well then if the factory failed to put a part and caused a problem and refused to come good for it I would be seeking some legal advise. My thinking is that although you seem to have fixed it up nice you may have more problems about to happen because of the fire or because of the chafing to your wiring and the next time it could be a lot more serious leaving you with no truck or possibly life changing injuries. Just my two cents. I'm happy for you that you have your truck back and working though

#12 ·
Ok so what was the aftermarket equipment that has their panties in a bunch? and why is there no mention of said missing braket or chafed wires? did you point this out to the inspector. Have you had the truck inspected by anyone else like an independant insurance appraiser or say an accredited stereo installation company? you may want to pay someone to give you and opinion on what caused the fire to break out . Then if they say you caused the problem with your a/e ok but if they say that missing bracket caused chafing and no matter what equipment was there it was going to cause a problem get it in writing and show that to chrysler if that doesnt get action get a lawyer. If the problem WAS caused by you fine you have to live with it but if it really is a manufacturing omission I would NOT let it go. Thats just my opinion but for what I paid I expect my vehicle to be safe!

#14 ·
chances are very likely the inspection and letter were handled by a first level peeon. ask for an escalation to the next level or a manager. be specific with your inquiries and dont accept political answers. be diplomatic, but dont back down. always ask for the names of the people you deal with along with contact numbers and email address' ask for a copy of the inspectors report. ask for a copy oy the dealers work order and inspection sheet. it might take a bit of time, but let them know nicely you wont go away.

#26 ·
It became "our" business when the OP started this epic saga. IF he did absolutely nothing wrong then he is being denied his rights under the factory warranty and that effects us all.

However, I do agree there is a lot more to the story than what's being told. Chrysler wouldn't ignore this claim unless it was on firm ground.

#18 ·
Wow.... Outside of having installed an ejection seat... i'd say Chrysler should take some responsibility and give some restitution, at least new floor mats, ... God forbid something like that ever happened again.... We don't need no water let the M_____ F______ BURN!!!

#19 ·
A CB coaxial cable will not cause a fire. Are you sure you have not installed any after market amp or anything like that? There has to be some after market equipment that affected that area of wiring to cause them to say that. For example if you installed a CAI does that then void all your vehicle warranty? No, of coarse not.

#23 ·
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act requires the dealer to detail how any supposed aftermarket part resulted in the damages when they deny a warranty claim. The onus is on them to show how the aftermarket part(s) resulted in the claim. In other words, they have to explain to you how whatever it is that you had resulted in the fire in order for them to deny your claim. I agree that there is more to this story than is being told. I find it exceedingly hard to believe that they would just deny you given the details you've given. The legal department will have loads of protocols and procedures for denying warranty claims because these laws have been around since 1975.

I also find the lack of anger in the OP tone to be telling. So what aftermarket part was it that they claimed resulted in the claim denial? It didn't have to "plug into the wires" in order to cause a defect.

#25 ·
And STILL no reply as to the aftermarkey equipment. I think there is a lot more to this story. Ive got all kinds of stuff added to my truck including things that required me to splice into my factory harness and if it burned tomorrow i'd fight:box2: tooth and nail for MY warranty :SHOCKED::4-dontknow:

#27 ·
ok thats it. i get the impression im on trial here. i did not hook up anything that could have done this. the issue is the missing seat bracket. im done with this thread. im tired of the "more to the story" stuff. thats it. IM F'N DONE WITH THIS THREAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.