DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help reinstalling cap & wires 1995 5.9l please

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jeff pearson 
#1 ·
My friend just tried to replace cap,plugs , wires and rotor.

Took them all off and can't remrmber how to put back on. I tried to help

by starting with post marked with "1" to cyl #1 then clockwise through

the firing order . Still won't start . Any ideas?

rotation is clockwise right?

firing order goes 1-8-....right?

Post on cap marked with "1" is #1 post right?

#2 · (Edited)
It is a clockwise rotation and the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, not sequential 1-8. Hope this helps some.

- Cajun

#4 ·
Thank you for the help. Turns out he put the cap on 180deg out(reversed). When I removed it to check the rotor, only 30 min. old, felt plastic schrapnell scattered around inside of distributor. Rotor had been grinding inside of cap, 30 min new. When I inspected rotor, metal contact piece had been rotated 90 deg from normal from impacting on post pin contacts. A few drops of crazy glue, a blast from air in a can, one minute with a permanent marker to mark everything and it fired right up!

Time to go to sleep, nite all.

#5 ·
Great, glad to hear you got it going! :smileup:

- Cajun

#8 ·
How in the H#@$ can you even work on the distributor on these things? cut a hole in the firewall?? geez! good luck . here is a link for properly routing the plug wires. common misfire problems can be linked to cross firing . http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm
The easiest way is with the intake off; that's why I always recommend replacing the cap, rotor and wires when changing the plenum pan gasket. There's a copy of the TSB relating to the routing in the Knowledge Base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.