DODGE RAM FORUM banner

towing capacity

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DodgieDan 
#1 ·
Just purchased my first Ram. 2006 Quad, 4.7, 2wd, 3.55, all stock. P265 70R 17's are on the truck and I don't know if those were the exact original size tires from the factory or not.

In any event. What is a reasonable amount of weight this truck should be able to tow? Not a lot of hills to worry about where I live. Just thinking about travel trailers or boats at the moment. Just haven't decided for sure yet what I might be putting behind the truck.

Oh yeah, looking for ballpark numbers with a regular tag along hitch, not a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

#5 ·
Tire size you gave is original equipment, as far as towing goes I tow a Cougar 5th Wheel with mine. Only changes that really count are rear end from 3.55 to 3.92, a superchip, ramped up the exhaust and put on a K&N CAI system. My 5th is a 2010 278RK (Rear Kitchen) weighs in at 6950 empty, with a 1290 hitch weight. With the wife and I in the truck and our travel gear and clothes and about 40 gallons of water onboard comes to about 7800 lbs. The truck tows it with ease and I do travel down I-5 heading to California for the winter. If you know I-5 there are some nasty hills between Canadian border and southern California. Biggest thing to remember is not to be in a hurry to get where you are going and you truck will do just what you want it to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.