DODGE RAM FORUM banner

looking at picking up 96 ram 1500 need helop

893 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
I am looking at picking up a 96 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 4x4. The ruck has 190000 miles and seems to drive pretty well. The owner took it offroad and claims that he got a rock in the bellhousing and if you start the truck in P the rock hits the flywheel so he has been starting it in N. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how big of a deal is this? How hard is it to get the rock out? Thanks!

#2 ·
:doh:I gotta throw a flag and call bull shit on this one. Oh, and welcome to the forum, sbrodacz. The flywheel on an engine is always turning, no matter what the transmission selector is in. In fact, the flywheel is what the starter engages to turn the engine over to start it. I think he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes, either that or he is really misinformed. Right off the bat, I'd say walk away because who knows what else this seller is going to tell you.:4-dontknow: Please let us know if you need any further help or have other questions. The forum is full on knowledgeable folk and great information. Have fun.

#6 ·
So what that tells you is that there's something wrong with the transmission that causes it to flip a sh*t when you put it in P. I would call that a big deal... you should probably try to find something with a good trans. I also fail to see how you would get a rock in there as I believe everything is closed... also what goes in must come out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.