DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need some help picking my performance chip.

6K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Im interested in getting a performance chip for my truck, but I'm not sure which one I should go with. Im looking for the best upgrade. Anyone know which is the best?

G
#5 ·
Mostly the problems are due to users who think they know what they are doing when setting shift points at WOT. They are trying to shift as close to, or above, redline.

What they don't realize is that by the time the transmission control module makes the gear change, they are up against the rev limiter and the engine is cutting out...creating multiple, high level torque shocks to the transmission and maxing out line pressures.

The best way to set shift points at WOT with a Predator is to be at least 200 RPM below redline, then test. If you are still hitting the rev limiter, back off in 50 rpm increments. The reason it hits the limiter is that it takes a second or two for the TCM to signal a shift and by then, with the shift point set too close to the rev limit, it's already past redline before it shifts. Ya gotta give it a little room to work.

#19 ·
That isn't the reason at all, I had a diablo predator and I have an '04 there is no trans support for the '04's. Yet when installed on my truck the transmission started to act up with erratic shifts and would clunk going into drive bad. There had to be something within the way the tuner wrote the tune to the PCM or something in the tune itself. I think Diablo has since fixed the problem and I haven't heard of any trans problems in awhile. But as hemibyrd posted above Superchips is by far the best if you are not in need of custom tuning there trans control is far Superior to anyone else's and will be for along time to come.

#8 ·
Wow, Maddog couldnt have put it better.....Predator can change shift points, not so much firmness like a shift kit

#18 ·
The Predator is very good, especially if you have internal mods like heads, cam, etc. I love my Superchips Flashpaq. IMHO it is the best for bolt-on type mods. The Flashpaq model 3865 is going to have transmission tuning features. The guys at Superchips have really done a great job with this. Part of it will be setting up and down shifts at part throttle and WOT along with reducing or completely eliminating torque control. The other guys I know who are beta testing the 3865 transmission stuff say it is fantastic and really makes a huge difference. I'm looking forward to my part of the testing. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#20 ·
Just thought I'd share what one of the beta testers for the Flashpaq 3865 said about the tranny tuning.
I'm running the same shift schedule, and it is amazing! The great thing about the reduced TM, is not that the shifts are "neck-snapping" firm, it's the fact that the shifts are VERY fast. The truck literally keeps pulling through the shift, which is what we all want. You no longer have the "sling-shot" shift where the truck has a momentary pause before snapping into the next gear; this is most notable under WOT shifts.

#22 ·
unfortunately 03's have poor support from programmers... if you plan on light mods (cai, catback exhaust, efan, shorty headers etc.) the new superchips is prolly the way to go...but if you get into internals like cam an heads then you'll want to run a diablo because it can be customed tuned (superchips only has generic canned tunes).... the other programmers like edge or bullydog have very few options that superchips and dialo have...

#24 ·
Probably not if those are your only 2 mods.

The Diablosport, unlike power module chips or Superchips or edge, has the ability for CMR tuning and in turn, can actually be used to fine tune the engine. Unlike pre-set adjustments (which all "tuners" have) the diablosport can be used after a Heads and Cam, F/I, Nitrous, or other extensive mods, to correct A/F ratios and individually tune aspects of the computer. If you were to add a S/C or Heads and Cam without retuning it via CMR, your engine will not last. Not saying it can't last, but you are shortening the life of your engine by running improper A/F and going lean will grenade your engine. And you are shorting yourself an incredible amount of power.

So as the other said, Superchips for basic modifications, Diablosport for basic modifications (if you can afford it), and diablosport for any major modifications.

#26 ·
Superchips would work well for you..they are in beta testing on major upgrades on what they have now...I'm almost tempted to get the sc 3865 just to play with it, but I need the custom tuning for my cam/head setup...

#27 ·
programmers (late 04's and up) have the ability to do so much more then canned tunes. When I had my superchips flashpaq 3815...it also had the ability to read and clear engine codes...monitor important functions in real time like a/f, timing and knock sensors, engine temps, air temp in the cai (just to name a few) as well as do 1/4 mile datalogging which gives you a general idea how you'd do at the track (60fts, 330 ft, 1/8th mile, 1000ft and 1/4 times along with mph)...you can see that sc and diablo are miles ahead of bullydog and hypertec and the evolution programmers..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.