DODGE RAM FORUM banner

BDS Lift Setup Thread PICS

128K views 321 replies 81 participants last post by  ALWX65 
#1 ·
There are a few running around and not much info on the Z (Both 1500 and 2500)
Lets consolidate and provide info here for the members :smileup:

Please include:
Year/Model
Lift Size
Bilstein: Yes-Size/No
Body Lift: Yes-Size/No
Tire Size
Wheel Size
Pros/Cons
Any other suspension add-ons

**idea taken from Ram725 with his RCX lift thread**

#102 ·
I read most of this. I have a 4" bds on my txr4. I am not sure on the rake, but it is bad!
I will try to post a pic and get some opinions on what I should do. I am going to go with some 35" to replace the 33" that are on it! Do I lower the back or raise the front?

#109 ·
My BDS 6" lift came with an option of 5" rear coils if you wanted instead of 3" coils. If I had gone with the 5" rear coils I would have had a 2" rake roughly.

Did you opt for a longer rear coil by any chance?

#114 ·
You're spot on! It is very very close to level. Every truck is a snowflake in terms of the amount of rake it come with. In my trucks case I guess I got a little lucky. In the instructions on the BDS site they tell you to measure your rake (measuring from mid axle to lower flare, front & back - subtracting the front measurement from the back measurement, giving you the rake. e.g.: 2.5" etc) Then they state if you rake is below a certain amount (which I can't recall) then go with the 5" coil, BUT if you have a LOT of rake already then go with the 3" rear coils, BECAUSE if you already have a ton of rake you absolutely do NOT want to add to it by installing a LONG rear coil.

Ok, HOLD it .. I just familiarized myself again with the BDS 4" lift and they only give you rear spacers for the lift; not coils. I was thinking 6" lift, sorry.

From BDS writeup:

Due to the OE ride height variances, BDS offers three rear lift options to get your desired stance: 2″ coil spacers, 3″ Pro-Ride coil springs, or 5″ Pro-Ride coil springs.
And their lift:

Hmmm, can you just remove the rear 2" spacer??

#112 ·
Can you check to see if the previous owner put a coil spacer in the rear? Maybe he carried a diesel tank (for bush equipment) or sleds etc requiring more lift in the rear.

#119 ·
This is interdasting stuff... I'm feeling like I'll go with the 5" rear coil because I actually enjoy some rake...

#127 ·
Another guy near me with a white RAM went with the identical lift, save rear coils. He went with the 5". I should call and see if he put the coil-over spacer in up front. I was at the shop this afternoon and the truck looked pretty level.

Do you want me to inquire for you? If it's still there I could take measurements.
I returned to the shop and the truck was on the alignment rack. I measured from the centre of hub to under flare and got 26.5" front, and 27" in rear with the 5" coil, BUT it had the old tires/wheels in the bed of the truck so it's not a fair measurement.

What I can tell you is what I saw, and what the comments of the shop boss were in regards to the 5" rear coil - 'I sat in it and on yours (mine) you can definitely tell it is level .. your hood just appears to look that way, BUT on this other truck I could definitely sense the rake. The hood looks like its sloping way down from inside, and there is most definitely a big rake when looking at in from the side.'

Hope that helps a tiny bit..

#120 ·
Another guy near me with a white RAM went with the identical lift, save rear coils. He went with the 5". I should call and see if he put the coil-over spacer in up front. I was at the shop this afternoon and the truck looked pretty level.

Do you want me to inquire for you? If it's still there I could take measurements.

#121 ·
Yes, indeed... I think this thread requires that information....

#122 ·
Ok, if it's there I'll see if I can measure it up. Maybe snap a photo. If not I can talk to the installer to see if they installed the spacer up front above the coil-over.

Cheers

#123 ·
Year/Model - Ram 1500 4x4
Lift Size - 6" BDS
Bilstein: Yes- 2.8"
Body Lift: NO
Tire Size - 35x12.50 20s
Wheel Size - 20x12
Pros/Cons - Pretty easy install, rides amazing with Billys and rear Fox 2.0s, and I think it looks pretty good
Any other suspension add-ons - Next upgrade is 2.5 coil-overs

#129 ·
Unhuh .. I never mentioned his wheel size or the fact that he has 37's now. ;)

I isolated my comments to the 5" rear coils and the hub to flare measurement being 27"

His OLD tires & wheels were in the 'box' of his truck, weighing down the rear making my measurement not entirely accurate.

I just want to be clear .. or were you making a general statement above?

The reason I measure from mid hub to flare bottom is so guys can see the pure suspension input, and then just add 50% of their chosen tire diameter (radius) to appreciate height increases.

#130 ·
This is not surprising to me.
Many that we sell BDS kits to with 5" rear coil max their Bilsteins and still have some slight rake ranging between 0.75"-1.25" depending on previous rake.
This is partly due to the need to remove the 5/8" preload spacer leaving you with the 4.5" strut spacer.
And the lower drop brackets included.
I don't see this being any different on the kit with the coilover

My truck as an example is 45.5" front and 46.5" rear
I have 6" RCX, Bilsteins set at 1.4 and a 1" rear coil spacer on 37's

#134 ·
My truck as an example is 45.5" front and 46.5" rear
I have 6" RCX, Bilsteins set at 1.4 and a 1" rear coil spacer on 37's
I'll have to measure my truck again now that it's settled, but a quick and dirty measurement the day the tires went on put my front at 45.5" from what I recall. Pure 6" coil-over & 37's

General statement and your method of measuring lift in my opinion is the most accurate due to the fact that it takes different tire sizes out of the equation.
:beerchug:

I would be happy with 1" of rake... just a personal preference thing... If I happen to be drinking and look at my truck and even get a sense that it's nose high, I'll probably rob a liquor store or something...
Holy chit thats funny!!

But seriously, thanks for this info... it's good to know... it's too bad you hadn't snapped off some pictures!!! *hint hint* hahaha
It was on the alignment rack, and my phone camera lacks a 12mm lens ;) My back was up against a wall. I could have shot a picture of the door handle for ya :gy:

#132 ·
I would be happy with 1" of rake... just a personal preference thing... If I happen to be drinking and look at my truck and even get a sense that it's nose high, I'll probably rob a liquor store or something...

#137 ·
removed factory airride
BDS 6" coilover liftkit / Fox front and rear shocks
5" rear coils / 1" extra preload adjustment gave a level stance.
BDS dual steering stabilizers
Fuel Offroad 22"D537 Maverick wheels
Fuel Offroad 37x13.5x22 Mud Gripper MT tires

love it!..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.