DODGE RAM FORUM banner

L&M R/T 392- Stage One

23K views 177 replies 34 participants last post by  ironchef2011 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share my build of dropping a 392 Challenger non MDS crate motor into my 2012 R/T. First off, huge props to Chris at Modern Muscle for the motor, Johan at Diablosport for the tuning and Mike at L&M for the installation and patience!

Now there are many ways to do a motor swap, but I wanted as seamless and stealth a look as possible. I wanted to retain the mechanical fan and I preferred the stock airbox location, instead of just stuffing a tube down by the fuse box due to the revised throttle body location. So long story short, I essentially purchased a 392 long block. Here's the list of parts swapped over from my Ram onto the new engine:

• Timing Cover (Needed for fan)
  • Thermostat Housing (No water cooling option due to fitment)
  • Water Pump and Mechanical Clutch Fan
  • Wiring Harness
  • Oil Pan (Challenger has a front pickup and pan, won't work on Rams)
  • Oil Pickup
  • Dipstick
  • R/T Torque Converter
  • JBA Shorty Headers (SRT's won't fit)
  • Intake Manifold and Throttle Body (Challenger one will fit, but requires custom air filter)

Here's a list of upgrades we put with the motor swap:

• 180 Thermostat
  • 87mm Throttle Body
  • 392 Fuel Injectors
  • HD Transmission Cooler with SPAL Fan
  • L&M 545RFE Transmission
  • Deeper Transmission Pan (2 more quarts of fluid)

Here's some pics of the empty engine bay and trans cooling parts.

See less See more
#32 ·
Why would it, they have already built 2 themselfs.......

Very cool build.

#31 ·
Congrats, very well done. Looking forward to numbers. Any vids anywhere?

#34 ·
First question: In regards to the intake manifold, it was a choice made by me. Someone else can keep the 392 manifold and do just what MOPAR did at SEMA for the last two years. But that involves a compromise of an intake tube forced in between the fuse box and radiator, the loss of the mechanical fan and shroud, the need for a stronger e-fan and a bit of a hacked up look.

For me, that was just not worth a few ponies one way or the other. Keeping my 345 manifold, also a dual runner setup, allows me to have a stealth stock look and the 392 injectors plug right in.

Second question: No videos just yet but she goes back to L&M at the end of this week for stage two. When I get her back, I'll post a video and my dyno numbers from HHP.

And thanks for the compliments guys! This has been something I've wanted to do for years and being so close to the finish line now is both a great and a sad feeling!

#35 ·
Also just noticed questions about DS and my tranny. My tranny is completed upgraded by Mike at L&M and he'll be adding SRT paddle shift capability to it this week.

As for DS, They provided me with a safety tune at first and then Josh at HHP did the final. I found DS to be nothing short of professional and instant in their replies.

#40 ·
As for the coilovers: Mike and I are sourcing them right now. It will be different than his as I'm after a modest drop and different handling requirements.

As for the paddles: I sourced the paddles, concept and wiring. Mike is doing the install. She is a fairly simple deal since I have push button shifting already via my column shifter. Remember, I'm the dude that got rid of his center console/slap shifter for the room and column shift? This was the real reason why. It's like a two wire hookup now to do complete paddle shifting in a Ram.

#45 ·
Did you upgrade the Torque Converter? If not then why???

#47 ·
ironchef - hopefully I can check out your truck when I drop mine off in early september. awesome build! I think I want to throw one of those mopar police package oil coolers on too but with a filter relocation so I can still run a stock filter.
My truck better not be there that long! As for the police package, I wouldn't waste my money on that baby unit when you have a built motor and turbo setup. There's two pre-tapped fittings right above the stock oil filter in our blocks for running lines out and in. Just do what I'm doing and have Mike run lines from there to a front mount oil cooler.

#48 ·
My truck better not be there that long! As for the police package, I wouldn't waste my money on that baby unit when you have a built motor and turbo setup. There's two pre-tapped fittings right above the stock oil filter in our blocks for running lines out and in. Just do what I'm doing and have Mike run lines from there to a front mount oil cooler.
It wont be lol

It'll be in a container on its way to the middle east by the end of the weekend :smileup:

#51 ·
Upgraded as in done to full L&M spec and software tune. Mike has built numerous transmissions that are in the field right now and have been performing without incident. His own truck, a twin turbo monster of a Ram that scared the sh*t of me, has been running on his setup for 40K miles.

What does Mike do exactly? That my friend is easily found out by contacting Mike himself and having him take care of your tranny. I respect his method enough to know that if it was posted all over the internet, that other companies would take that philosophy without compensation. And as a small business owner myself, that won't happen due to my loose lips!

#54 ·
Thanks man, that's truly awesome to hear. My goal is to be able to provide detailed info for anyone else looking to do this the right way. And also, I hope that we will finally have access to complete coilover suspension with full shock travel AND a reasonable Brembo BBK for front and rear.

#61 ·
Last night before the trip back to DE. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! Next time I see my truck she'll have true coilovers and spindles, Brembo brakes on all four corners and a host of other goodies. Forget the name L&M Customs, it should be L&M Toy Factory!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.