DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Electrical/Charging System Problems as well as Idling Issues

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lazarus Truck 
#1 ·
My truck seems to be running poorly as far as electrical goes. I sometime leave the lights on and it'll kill my battery and I gotta get jumped. After this happens my truck idles at anywhere from 2200rpms-2700rpms. This only happens at idle, I can press the clutch and it idles what I believe to be normal. 700-800rpms. I know my batter connections are in terrible condition and should get them replaced. My battery passes every single battery test I throw at it. I have a 90amp alt and the only electronics are the headlights, top of cab lights, phone charger aftermarket stereo and 2-10" subs.
I went to Autozone to get an alt check and they said that my voltage regulator is going out. So I then go to the Alternator shop in town and told me that was BS because the voltage regulator is electronically controlled and they told me it was my connections. For $45 they said they will redo all of the wiring and put in high quality brass connections and islets and something like a positron as well. They told me my alt has plenty of power output even for my setup (No power windows or locks or power seats, it's all manual) and if the new connections and whatnot does not solve my problem than they said they will directly wire from my alt to my battery for my voltage regulator.

I think I just need a 130amp alt for safe measure and the new connections. As far as the idle goes I think it's either my Throttle Position Sensor or my Intake Air Control Module.

One last thing, recently my truck is idling even lower at about 400 and I have to keep revving in order to keep power. When I rev it some my voltmeter goes up a little bit and the AC blows about 2x as hard. By the way my lights are extremely dim and its just the front ones. I have the Silverstar HD Ultras and I will turn them on and my iPhones flashlight has more brightness than my headlights do on bright. I am sure this is connected somewhere in there with the problem.

Thanks for all the replies and don't be too harsh on me as this is my first or second post on this website.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well...the terminals and connections could play a big part in the problem.

You said the battery and the alternator check out okay, which is good. I'm a little confused at what they meant by running the battery directly to the voltage regulator in the alternator.

As far as I know they would have to run an external voltage regulator to bypass the ECM which controls the voltage. Without replacing the ECM then it's going to cause a CEL and that would limit your possibilities if there is a state inspection in your area.

Not to mention, I personally dislike the CEL blaring at me all the time.

#3 ·
You would not believe how little crud, or tarnish it takes to impede the flow of 12 volts. Check and clean your connections. I am the cheapest guy here, and always say to check before replacing. There are alot of sites that have good electrical tutorials for charging issues. Beg, borrow, or steal a Digital Multi-Meter. Learn how to check for voltage-drop between connections. Allpar has some very good articles on charging systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.