DODGE RAM FORUM banner

This explains a lot with the QC issues with the new Ram Trucks

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  katokahn99 
#1 ·
It may have been posted before, but here it is again.

This would clearly explain all the issues I've already had with my new 2013 Laramie (NAV/Radio system died 24 hours after purchase)
Terrible paint job and scratched windshield.

I questioned here and with Chrysler how my truck passed QC and final inspection, and this article now answers that question for me....because the workers just didn't care and let it slide.

This is not acceptable, and though this article was written back in March and is mainly about the early 2013 trucks, my truck was built in June 2013 and clearly things have not improved.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/01/chryslers-internal-documents-question-ram-quality-as-workers-pr/

#2 ·
Ya that's old news. Been discussed on here a few months ago. People had faith that even though morale was low possibly increasing the amount of defects, that the trucks still had to pass through final inspection and everything would be caught there.

It's probably debatable how well the FI was working. Anyways, old news for sure.

#3 ·
It would not explain ALL issues. Radios are not made by Chrysler. Unless a wire harness was not assembled properly I highly doubt anyone at the plant had anything to do with it. Most likely an infant mortality failure of a component within the radio.

Paint - possibly low morale was a factor, possibly not.

Scratched windshield could have easily happened in transit after assembly.

Impossible to draw any conclusions from the limited information in that article.

#10 ·
Scratched windshield could have easily happened in transit after assembly.
The scratch is INSIDE the glass.
The scratch has been attempted to be removed with glass cleaner, a razor blade, and even glass polish, both inside and out.
It doesn't budge. It could of happened where the windshield is made, but again, it should not have been put into the truck nor passed inspection as is.

I didn't see it immediately because it's on the passenger side, but noticed it after the 2nd time I drove the truck and was looking out the windshield and caught a long scratch in my view.

Any passenger in the truck has to look directly at it, it's perfectly in the line of sight for any passenger looking directly out the front of the windshield.

#4 ·
My truck was built in June, too, and has been flawless so far. The workers must have cared the day they built my truck. :4-dontknow:

#6 ·
Built Feb 25. No flaws that I really care about. A couple paint nibs in one doorsill is about it, and if you care about something like that there is probably something wrong with you. Are people going to complain about surface rust on their steel driveshaft too?

#9 · (Edited)
Would you complain about this paint/chrome job?

http://s944.photobucket.com/user/driver42/library/2013 Ram Paint Issues?sort=6&page=1

Be sure to click on the pics to enlarge so you can see properly.

I clearly got one of the ones that slipped through inspection or one of the last ones of the day and the workers were ready to get out of there and possibly started drinking beers before clocking out for the day.
Since it's almost all down near the bottom of the truck, I didn't see it at the dealer in my brief walk around before taking it on the test drive and then going in to do the paperwork.
But within 5 minutes of getting the truck home and wiping it down, I started to see the paint issues immediately. So it's basically inexcusable for someone who is PAID to quality control and check things like this, let it go by and out to a customer.

#7 ·
I just left my dealership
I looked at a 2014 Ram RT on the lot

looked like it had just about everything except a sun roof
paint job had major orange peel
i saw a poorly installed plastic right front inner fender piece, a piece of it was covering some of the body paint, it would be a quick fix, but how did someone miss it ??

#8 ·
Go on any truck forum, Ford, GM or Tundra, you'll hear the same complaints. I once went on a plant tour of the Brampton Assembly Plant, at the time Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Magnum, now Challenger and was totally surprised at the professionalism of the workers and the engineers. It didn't seem like a sweat shop, but a bunch of teams working hard. As a former Toyota owner, I'm very happy with the excellent quality of my 2 Mopars.

#11 ·
Like I said my paint nibs are inside the doorsill where they are not exposed unless the door is open. I wasn't talking about your truck driver72, I'm sorry that you get defensive when others talk about their vehicles. Not sure how you thought it was directed at you but it wasn't.

#12 ·
Sorry bro, didn't mean to get defensive, I'm just a little peeved about my brand new $50k MSRP truck that has issues so quickly and such bad paint job.

#15 ·
I was gonna go back and complain about some of the orange peel in my paint and see if the dealerships body shop would eat the cost of wet sanding and buffing it. However I hauled some stuff from Michigan back to Ohio and my dogs cage was back there, slid around and scraped the hell out of the paint in the bed and the front rail of the bed up near the cab. I am going to be getting it rino lined soon and I'll just take off the plastic rail caps and have them spray the bed liner up over the top and then it'll be covered and you'll never know. On my other truck I did the bedliner over the rails down to the seam in the body line which is about 2 1/2 inches below the top of the bed so it has protection. The Ram I won't bring the bedliner down the outside.

Other than the orange peel paint I'm happy with mine. And it's not real bad but I'm just picky after spending $30,000+ on a truck I'd expect it to have a decent paint job not something that looks like it was sprayed at Maaco.

#18 ·
Mine was built on 27 June and I took delivery on 17 July. I have yet to find a problem.
Even though it is a truck that I expect to get scratches and dings on...I expect it to be flawless on delivery. If the consumer finds any issues (even after accepting the vehicle) the manufacturer/dealership should not push back at all when asked to make it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.