DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Question for RamTech

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  captainchubbzz 
#1 ·
I hear your the guy to go to for Dealer questions. Im brand new around here so be gentle, I tried to search but couldnt find an answer. I can't PM you because I don't have 25 posts yet.

I just bought the truck and got a lifetime warranty. I want to put a K&N filter in and a magnaflow cat back, dual rear outlet before the passenger tire.

Will any of that void my warranty? I know about the Magnuson Moss act but you actually work in the dealership. Are any of those going to be an issue? I can always swap out the filter before I go (when I do need warranty work) but the exhaust I dont want to be changing every other year. Any suggestions or input based on your experience?

#2 ·
I'm not ram tech but the exhuast and kn should not affect ur warrenty I have a magna flow kit on my truck and a leveling it in it and I had to get a strut replaced and they never mentioned a thing about the leveling kit... I'm guessing it depends on the dealer I know all te dealer guys pretty well.. But there is no possible way that a muffler should ever even affect warrenty or even cause an issue with the truck..

#3 ·
Thanks I appreciate the response. I am in NJ and I already got into a verbal with the local dealer. I bought the truck at a dealer 60 miles away cause my local dealer was trying to rip me off. When I got the truck home I noticed I got the wrong warranty brochure. I went to my local dealer(DeCozen)to get one, and the sales manager I spoke to said " We don't honor that warranty here. If you didn't buy the truck from us we don't do warranty work on it. You have to go back to the selling dealer for the life of the warranty." I told him that was almost impossible because of the distance, I then said what if I have a recall on it? He replied "We don't do recalls on it either, if you didn't buy the truck from us we won't work on it, and all the dealers around here will tell you the same thing".

At this point I knew the guy either didnt know what he was talking about, or was just being an asshat because I didn't buy the truck from him.. So I called up Chrysler customer care, told them about the expierence I had at DeCozen Dodge/jeep/ram, and they were nice enough to give me free synthetic oil changes for a year. They assured me that it was illegal to refuse to do recall or warranty work simply because i bought it somewhere else. The service manager was supposed to call me and apologize but that never happened, so I will never go to that dealer again. I don't have many dealers near me so trying to start a good relationship with a dealer is almost impossible out here. I understand that warranty work may pay less then a non warranty service but hey, work is work right?

If anybody has or knows anyone in the service dept of a northern NJ ram dealer please let me know.... It's getting rough out here.

#4 ·
Wow that's some billshit eh... Up here in Canada no matter where I am if I have a problem with my truck I can go to any Chrysler dealer ship and they will fix it.. But could be different for us here idn.. This is my first new vehicle so I don't know how all this warranty shit works but what your going threw just seems wrong to me

#5 · (Edited)
Again, I am not RamTech either, just chiming in to what you have so far. My dealer told me the only way your aftermarket parts will void your warranty is if the aftermarket parts caused the failure.

bought my wifes jeep from a different dealer than my ram. Bring it strictly to my ram dealership for warranty and maintenance issues. No questions asked. Complete bs that they won't fix your truck, they were trying to con you into buying another warranty. They seen how far your purchasing dealership was and jumped on it.

You can pay for school but you can't buy class.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I am interested in what RamTech has to say since he works at a dealership.

That sales manager was a complete piece of...........

I can take it to any Chrysler/dodge/ram/jeep dealer and they have to service it. This guy just pissed off the wrong new Ram owner :)

So I did some research and installing a K&N filter can technically void your warranty, all they have to say is the filter let something in that the OEM filter wouldnt have and bam Im screwed. The exhaust is a little harder to prove since its after the cat and sensors. So if I need to go to the dealer I will just put my stock air filter back in, and that should alleviate any problems.

I'll take any other suggestions or comments you guys have regarding this issue.

#8 ·
I've never had a good experience at the dealership you mentioned. I've settled on using Ramsey jeep - talk to Jim in service. Problem is - no loaners available usually, and rental facility (which the lifetime should give you at 5.00 a day) is offsite so it's a pain, but nothing but good things to say about them. They do neat work as well - no grease on the interior, etc. Not too far for you -

#11 · (Edited)
it very much depends on the dealership and its service manager ..

some dealers overlook aftermarket add-ons and others wont even work on your truck.

if you add an aftermarket muffler I am sure you dont expect the dealer to warranty it for you , but it will not void the warranty if your window switches do not work anymore.

warranty covers oem factory parts the way the vehicle was delivered at the time of purchase unless caused to fail due to changes made by a non factory part . some dealers add aftermarket accessories at time of purchase and will cover those .

also if your vehicle has been in an accident of any modification made after purchase than that shop is responsible for there work and parts they installed so you need to contact them .

dealer technicians can tell what has been worked on before. there are lots of ways of knowing

the OP did specify a question directly for RAMTECH so I do appoligize for giving my 2 cents .

#12 ·
I appreciate all the posts on this, the only reason I directed it to RamTech was because he works at a dealership and I cannot PM him as of yet. If any of you guys could copy and paste the original post and PM him directly for me that would be much appreciated.

The muffler has its own lifetime warranty so Im not worried about that, i just dont want my piston rod to snap and then they say because i put a muffler and an air filter in they are not covering it under warranty, thats my only concern.

#13 · (Edited)
the only thing that i have ever heard of with any oiled airfilters, is the oil in the filter may get sucked in .

silly as it sounds , but true

Ramtech has a great write up on here that is about taking your vehilce into the dealership and what you can expect.

loyal and friendly customer get the craziest stuff warrantied just becuase they are known as a repeat customer .

bring donuts , bagles , soft pretzels -- anything with you on your next service and see how you get treated from that day on !!!!!

#15 ·
Im not installing a cold air intake, just replacing the air filter...... So it really shouldnt void anything..... lol.. I went on K&N's website and they have a video proving that the oil doesn't foul up the Mass Airflow sensor and that it is virtually impossible for the oil to get sucked into the engine..... But your right, depends on the service manager's attitude... I will definitely try to bribe them with some free food.

#16 · (Edited)
It is funny, walk into my Dodge dealerships Parts Dept. & you see Chrysler T-shirts of every kind, Mopar & weathertech floor mats, different chemicals, nerf bars, & one whole wall with nothing but K & N filters

By the way, Ramtech will be working tomorrow & when he gets a break, he checks the Z

#17 ·
I talked to the parts guy at my local Chrysler /Dodge Ram dealer and he told me that CHRYSLER has stated "if a vhecial comes in with an engine knock and it has an after market cold air intake" warranty WILL be nill and void. I wanted to install the airaid cold air intake but am not sure what to do now. So to me it sounds like a little bit of a Grey area. From what I have read on here.

#18 ·
thats odd my dealership didnt care about the mods to my truck the warranty still covered it all but then again ITS up to your dealership.. and how they work... mine knew me and ALL my trucks were thru them so I have a record of trucks and repairs with them... and then when the Dealers Warranty ran out I bought an After Market Warranty and they cover the OEM parts and pay for the 5 day rental... If i need one... and I had to speak with the Higher up about the Winch on my truck bc the ""Lady"" tried to say that the Power Wagon does NOT come factory with a Winch.... so the Higher up called my dealer and now its being replaced...

#22 ·
If Chrysler can prove that the damage was caused by it they will. I too would like to do this to my truck. Called a dealer in my area to see if even the mopar would void the warranty(the d@mn company that makes everything for Chrysler). Their answer, "If it can be linked to the intake than yes, because it is not a stock part and intended for performance." Bottom line, if you want the warranty I wouldn't change anything, and unfortunately I'm not - will do when warranty is up though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.