DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Catch Can Installed

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Asur 
#1 ·
Finally the catch can has arrived! Managed to get it installed this moring at work. Took about 20 mins or so. I went with the UPR one. Only complain so far is that the mounted bracket kinda sucks. With it being so small it kind of made it hard to find a spot to mount it. Beings I work in a machine shop I'll fab something up similar to the BT "Z" bracket. I also found an 1/8" drain that I'm gunna attach to the bottom on the can, this way I dont have to take it apart to empty it!

119$ on ebay:

Excuse the filthy engine bay, roads are wet and salty here:gy:

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good man! good work.

#8 ·
No, they didn't change the design. They still offer both styles. This is the regular Hemi version. If he paid for the Z Bracket, then I'd tell them about their mistake as there is a $20 price difference. Was just looking at them yesterday trying to decide which one to buy. Based on the $119 price, that is the Z bracket version. This version is $99.98 with the shipping.

#7 ·
Nice! I have had my can for over a month now. I wish it wasnt so cold here! I might just go out and brave it :D

#9 ·
AJ, I use my trip "B" mileage go to 500 miles and empty it. It's no more than 1/2 full.
Use alittle white grease on threads and it comes off easier.

#11 ·
I went with BT, the makers of the original catch can. They apparently had issues with companies blatantly ripping off their design. The one you have looks exactly like a BT. Not trashing you, just making a statement. I'm just glad there are American companies around who can make quality stuff like that.

#13 ·
Then don't ask stupid questions :LOL: Joking lmao not a stupid question if you don't know what it is.

Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or “blow-by” the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms a “gunk”. This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

An oil-air separator is an aftermarket device that will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to adhere to. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended. These devices are often referred to as “catch cans”.

When it comes to selecting a catch can, as always, you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with two ports. These will capture a small amount of oil but the vast majority passes straight through. Be sure that the can incorporates some sort of baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension.

Voila

#18 ·
If the design isn't patented, then it's open market.
$5 vs $125
I'd take the $5 in a heart beat and carve the BT logo in it :LOL:

I'm kidding and completely understand your opinion. But UPR's quality, build and service is amazing.

All honesty, this is the case for MANY products out there.
Unless someone can patent their design, there is no way of stopping someone from making the exact same thing and selling it for less to help those pay something that is somewhat reasonable.

On a side note
I just recently bought a new BT catch can as I want and have a color scheme under my hood

#20 ·
These are made in Florida, not China. Been around since 1989.

#23 ·
Just wanted to update you guys on the catch can, I installed it on Friday morning and after work I drove to Toronto (about 800km round trip), anyway I was showing my buddy the catch can the following day Nd took the catch part off just to see if anything was in there and I was shocked!!! This is what I found:

Thing was half full already... I'm assuming the fridged temp here may have something to do with it...

#24 · (Edited)
#30 ·
fastNugly. The 500 miles is in the winter months. I'm sure the cold air equals more condensation, which the CAN catchs. In summer time 500 miles (which is 2 weeks driving to work/back) the CAN is has only about 1/4" to 3/8" deep clean looking oil in it. I don't reuse it. In summertime 5000 miles the oil goes down only 1/2 qt on dipstick.

#32 ·
The 4.7 has a PVC Valve also, you can install the catch can on it, the Z bracket will not work on the 4.7 engine, but the small pivoting bracket can, you will need to find a place to mount it. I installed mine using my own bracket on the left side of the engine using the batter support. you might want to talk to sean (member: snrusnak), he has been fabbing a bracket for this purpose presently.

See here:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127349

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.