DODGE RAM FORUM banner

revers lights problem

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
truck just failed MD state inspection because when placed in reverse, the reverse lights dont stay on all the time. when i tap on the shifter, without pulling it in, towards the park position they come on though so i know they are not shorted out completly...

any fix sugestions?

#3 ·
still have this problem, havent really messed with it much but i need to get this truck through inspection so i can renew my tags.....

my money is on the shift linkage, that best describes the problem i am having because when i push the comlum shift towards the park position the lights will activate, so it seems like it just needs and "alingment" so to speak..

so, can any one tell me how to make the adjustments i need to make.. thanks

#4 ·
LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

Check condition of the shift linkage. Do not attempt adjustment if any component is loose, worn, or bent. Replace any suspect components.

Replace the grommet securing the shift rod or torque rod in place if either rod was removed from the grommet. Remove the old grommet as necessary and use suitable pliers to install the new grommet.
  1. Shift transmission into PARK.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.
  3. Loosen lock bolt in front shift rod adjusting swivel. Ensure that the shift rod slides freely in the swivel. Lube rod and swivel as necessary.
  4. Move transmission shift lever fully rearward to the Park detent.
  5. Center adjusting swivel on shift rod.
  6. Tighten swivel lock bolt to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.).
  7. Lower vehicle and verify proper adjustment.

1 - FRONT SHIFT ROD
2 - TORQUE SHAFT ASSEMBLY
3 - TORQUE SHAFT ARM
4 - ADJUSTING SWIVEL
5 - LOCK BOLT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.