DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Steering Play 3-4" each way...

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jabba974 
#1 ·
Hi all, new here and not at all a mechanic... I have about 3-4 inches of play in my steering wheel each way. So first I got a steering stabilizer bar put on and that did not help at all, next I put on a new steering gear which also was no help.. so as of right now I am tired of putting money into it with no result to the main problem I am trying to fix, any ideas? 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 4WD 5.2L. Thanks and let me know if I need to add anything. Also sorry if this has already been posted on another thread, I couldn't find it...

#2 ·
Have you check the steering linkages for movement or play? Look at the steering box and the shaft from the steering wheel connect? May be a bad flex joint on the shaft
or a bad gear inside the box....

#3 ·
Check near the steering box for cracks in the frame. Also, have someone turn the wheel while you look for play in the steering. Could be a combination of a few worn parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.